X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 6800 generator early shut down

I just got a 6800 watt Ridgid generator and I'm having an early shut down issue. It seems to run fine for a few hours. Let's say 6 to 7 under low to medium load, but it will turn off with 1 or 2 gallons (guessing) of gas Left, maybe a bit more or a bit less. I can hear the engine struggle a bit before it shuts down. When I try to restart it only works for short period or not really at all. I'm only on my third tank of gas. Any ideas?? When I refill it it works for hours again.

Re: Ridgid 6800 generator early shut down

is the gas tank cap venting?
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

How can you tell?

Comment

When the engine starts to struggle, remove the gas cap.

Comment

IF the gas cap is not venting the tank can form a vacuum in it and not let the fuel run in to the carburetor, so loosen the cap and see if it still stalls out in a few hrs,

I do not know about this unit, but some have the fuel intake raised off the bottom of the tank, so it does not take off the bottom of the tank, so dirt and water does not get sucked into the carburettor, so it may be normal to have some fuel left in the tank when it runs out, (would doubt that two gallons would be left but it may have some left,
          Last edited by BHD; 10-31-2012, 09:00 PM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I was wondering if this generator is similar to my husqvarna in that you must leave at least a one inch air gap at the top. Does he fill it right to the top, and is that part of the problem?

Comment

I have a similar problem with a brand new RD6800. It happened twice, once with 2-3 gallons of fuel remaining and again with a nearly full tank. It appeared to happen (at least the 2nd time) when under a higher load. I suspect it could be the gas cap, it was on tightly and we also had rain. Perhaps water was blocking the vent???

Mike

Comment

Replace the fuel filter, even if it's a new generator.
                It's a gravity fed fuel supply and the slightest restriction in the filter will cause loss of fuel flow.
                "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Having the same issue with a 6800 unit I purchased at Home Depot on Saturday 10/27/12. Upon initial setup, it stalled after 2-3 minutes. It did this several times, then seem to be running just fine. I checked & double checked the fuel, oil, shut-off switch, etc. Then I actually needed the generator because hurricane Sandy arrived. The generator ran for about an hour and then shut down. Then it ran for for about 4 hours and shut down again. Real frustrating given the numerous positive online reviews. I finally had enough and called Ridgid on Wednesday.They told me it was a venting issue and that there was a temporary "fix" which involved disconnecting one of the lines. The unit would then have to be brought back to Home Depot for a permanent fix. Unfortunately, I was not at home with the generator when I called, so I asked the associate to e-mail me the instructions. She agreed to do so.....but didn't. I called again when I got home from work but, guess what, they close at 5pm !! Really ?? I called back on Thursday and the associate had no idea what I was referring to and that there were no known issues with the 6800 model. I finally had enough and trucked the unit back to Home Depot where they exchanged it for another. I have to give credit where it is due. HD was fair with me and didn't try to give me a hard time about returning it. I know they have to be cautious of folks purchasing generators to "get through the storm" and then returning them. I think they were decent and realized that I needed a properly working generator it now..., not next week. The store itself had no power. Anyway, I haven't unboxed the new one yet. I have a gut feeling that there is a design flaw causing the unit to stall. For the record, I ran the unit with the gas cap removed suspecting that a vacuum was being created: same thing occurred. No matter what I tried, it kept stalling out.

Comment

I tried running it with the gas cap propped up a bit, giving it some air. It ran much longer than before. Still some gas Left though. I did not over fill it. I'll call Rdgid and see what they say. It looks like the feed is at the bottom of the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewalthier1 View Post
                      I tried running it with the gas cap propped up a bit, giving it some air. It ran much longer than before. Still some gas Left though. I did not over fill it. I'll call Rdgid and see what they say. It looks like the feed is at the bottom of the tank.
                      When you contact them, would you mind coming back here to post your results? I have the same generator, and put about 80 hrs on it, and it did stall two or 3 times on me, with the same symptoms: struggles for a bit, and then shuts off. Otherwise, it ran flawlessly for 7 days for about 6-18 hours a day, depending on the day during Sandy. Loosening the gas cap seemed to have a good result, but if there is anything else they recommend, I'd like to know what it is. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                        is the gas tank cap venting?
                        i bought a 6800 generator it runs for 1/2 to 1 hour and surges up and down then stalls there is no vent in the gas cap its on top of the tank and defective

Comment

I had the same issue with my Ridgid 6800. My generator would run for about 30 mins then cut out, I finally figured out the issue. Not screwing the gas cap all the way the generator ran with no problem. Is there a fix for this issue?

Comment

i called ridgid nov 9 2012 they wont send out any parts the fuel vent on top of the gastank is defective and they wont comment on that they said it has to go in to a service center for repair i ran mine for 4 days without the gas cap twisted in it was just sitting on top of the tank and as soon as you twist the cap in it surges up and down and stalls within 1/2 hour home depot said call ridgid they will send you a new vent but this not true they wont

Comment

Originally posted by dkrippa View Post
                              i called ridgid nov 9 2012 they wont send out any parts the fuel vent on top of the gastank is defective and they wont comment on that they said it has to go in to a service center for repair...
                              That is correct.
                              1) Ridgid does not supply parts. Parts distributors supply parts.
                              2) If you want WARRANTY service, the unit has to be repaired by an authorized service dealer.
                              You are, however, free to order and install the vent (part number 310854001), but the cost of self-servicing the unit will be yours.
                              "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Working...
                              X