Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

RD6800 Yamaha motor seized where to get parts?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RD6800 Yamaha motor seized where to get parts?

MZ360. 3years old less than 25 hours, governor failed, over speeded and seized. Out of warranty. Where can I buy parts to rebuild engine?

Any help appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: RD6800 Yamaha motor seized where to get parts?

My guess is you could get them through Ridgid, or a Ridgid service center,
    and you could easily put in a Google search, MZ360 Yamaha, parts and most likely find a number of places, one place I found has a parts manual, http://www.m-and-d.com/pdfs/Yamaha/M...s%20Manual.pdf
    Yamaha Engine Parts

And my guess is any small engine shop that is any good I would think could source parts, but you may want to consider just replacing the motor with a new unit,

and any Yamaha dealer should be able to get you parts,

and you could PM Doctordeere (a member on this fourm) and I am sure he could guide you,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Well, like many things, it depends. Used to be I would want to rebuild most any damaged thing. Hated wasting something with the potential to be used. Then manufacturers made prices so high that if you need more than 1 or 2 things-you are better off throwing it away.

I did some searching just like you probably have already. And probably like you, didn't find a place for parts that quickly came up for this universal engine.

What I did find is a parts manual. Then took parts numbers and searched them. Stopped after the first one. Welcome to try your luck this way. Places that might have one part might have many. Or it might make a good boat anchor.

http://www.m-and-d.com/pdfs/Yamaha/M...s%20Manual.pdf

Yamaha - 7CT-E1400-10-00 - CRANKSHAFT ASSY

Comment

Listen to Bob! My neighbor recently blew his 19HP garden tractor motor and a new block alone cost more than a new engine! We live in CT and he got it somewhere in CA. Shop around for the best price on a new before you start putting money and labor into a rebuild project.

Comment

After doing quite a bit of searching I agree that trying to repair is not going to happen. Thanks all for your help/suggestions.

Also I have been unable to find even a "hint" as to where I might find an engine. Yamaha publishes a great parts manual but good luck in trying to find parts/engines.

As an aside I will never purchase a Ridgid power or Yamaha product again. Why? Less than 25 hours on a product (RD6800) that is (3) months past 3 year warranty that had a known defect (Yamaha MZ360 has a known governor failure issue) that failed during hurricane Sandy. Horrible product support all the way around.

Enough said.
          Last edited by Paul47; 11-07-2012, 03:07 PM.

Comment

I wouldnt necessarily hold it against Ridgid (although it looks like they could have done more to help you out), but I would definitely hold it against Yamaha.

I have the 8000W version with the Subaru engine and love it. Thats actually a thought, my guess is the frame is drilled for both engines, you might look into getting a Subaru in place of the Yamaha.

Check out smallenginewarehouse.com

Comment

I would guess one could re power it with nearly any engine manufacture of the same HP, and the correct crank configuration, what I could see from the parts manual it looks like a Honda clone engine,

most engines have a standard bolt pattern on the crank shaft side and most generators take the same tapered shaft, in the same HP range,

I bought a diffrent engine and repowerd my old genator a few years ago, and it bolted right up,
              It may take a special tool to seperate the alteranor shaft from the engine, (as it is a taper shaft on most generators),

I am not sure about the Yamaha engine, but I know a number of name brand manufactures are offering there own honda clone, versions,
              and most of the others are common bolt patterns, and crank configurations,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

chrisexv6, BHD,

Thank you for the info. The Subaru EH360 looks like a good possibility for repowering the generator. Mounting configuration and shaft requirements need to be determined. When I get a chance I'll pull off the Yamaha to check out the crank shaft configuration.

Seems that the most plentiful EH 360 is the model EH360YD2430 with a Tapered 4-11/32"L shaft.

The EH360YD2430 is listed on the Small Engine Warehouse for $495 plus approximately $50 for shipping.

As an aside when I took a closer look at the Yamaha model number saw the dreaded words "Made in China". So much for having confidence in buying a "Japanese" engine i.e. one of the reasons I chose the RD 6800.

Any additional input regarding repowering the generator is appreciated.

Thanks again all for your help.

Comment

Good luck! I know I saw a Subaru on the site specifically made for generators, but I think it was a little less HP than the Yamaha. Im not quite sure what less HP translates into on a generator (maybe not quite max wattage? dunno)

While I like the Subaru on mine, the one thing I DONT like is that it doesnt come with autochoke. The "remote" panel is pretty useless if the engine is cold, as you need to choke it at the engine to start it. I know Subaru sells engines for generators that DO have autochoke, but Ive never looked into adding it to mine.

Comment

Contact the nearest Yamaha engine distributor. Even though you're past warranty, the governor issue is a well known fault and they should (key word is should) take care of you.

Start with Dixie Sales Co. at 800-753-4943 (not to be confused with Dixie Sales and Service).
                    Last edited by Doctordeere; 11-08-2012, 07:21 AM.
                    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Working...
                    X