X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18V Battery which is the best deal?

I have a Home Depot $50 OFF ON PURCHASE OVER $100 coupon which expires 11/12/2012.

Trying to figure out how best to use it.

I bought a drill/one hand recipricating saw combo tool two years ago (I think it was a $199 deal), and that came with two 18V lithium ion batteries. Last year I bought a X4 drill/impact driver combo (a $179 deal) and that came with two 18V lithium ion batteries. So now I have 4 batteries on LSA. So far so good.

I don't really have anything from HD I need at this very moment, but thought...I could never have too many batteries.

A 18V high capacity batteries is $99. I can throw in a paint brush and use the coupon, the battery would only cost me $50 after the discount.

Or, I can buy two compact batteries at $69 each, which would reduce the unit cost of each to $44.

I am not sure which way to go.

How much longer does the high capacity one run relative to the compact one? Is the extra juice worth the additional weight?

I also understand if I buy batteries this way, I am not going to get LSA but only a 3 year warranty.

Another option is to buy another drill/impact driver combo for $179, and after the coupon discount my net would be $129, so it would be like paying $64 for each battery but I do get LSA. However, I have no need for impact driver #2 or drill #3.

Thoughts? I am thinking the high capacity 18V one might be my best option, but I don't know if it's worth the additional weight.

Re: 18V Battery which is the best deal?

buy the drill/driver combo, register the kit, then sell the drill and driver off and keep the batteries.

or keep one battery and gift the drill/driver with charger and one battery to a friend, son, etc.

or get the two compact batteries then you'd have 6 batteries to kepp up with.

saying you can never have enough batteries is not necessarily true. it's not as bad now-a-days with Li-Ion chemistry, but back when Ni-Cads ruled maintaining a bunch of batteries was a PITA. Ask anyone who had 2 dozen or more HTs to keep charged for emergencies.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 11-09-2012, 06:07 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

[QUOTE=miamicuse;385771]I have a Home Depot $50 OFF ON PURCHASE OVER $100 coupon which expires 11/12/2012.

where are people getting these $50 off $100 coupons, need one, or some

Comment

[QUOTE=pesciwasp;385807]
        Originally posted by miamicuse View Post
        I have a Home Depot $50 OFF ON PURCHASE OVER $100 coupon which expires 11/12/2012.

where are people getting these $50 off $100 coupons, need one, or some
        If you sign up for the PRO program once in a while you get some decent email offers with links to discounts. This one is a one time use coupon. I think there are people selling it off eBay for $5 or so but I don't know if they are legit because once used the coupon is no good. Each one has it's own serial number.

Comment

Why don't you get one of those JobMax 18v's? Around $109. You can use your existing batteries on that tool. It's pretty versatile and most heads are under $50 except for the reciprocating saw head and jigsaw head.

Comment

Originally posted by Supermanofsteel View Post
            Why don't you get one of those JobMax 18v's? Around $109. You can use your existing batteries on that tool. It's pretty versatile and most heads are under $50 except for the reciprocating saw head and jigsaw head.
            I thought about this. However, I got a Dremel MM20 last week, I considered the Jobmax but thought because it tries to be so many tools in one, it probably doesn't do any of it really well. I saw a youtube video of a guy using the autohammer and I laughed.

I read a few reviews and said the Jobmax is fine, but what what I use it for, I don't need the cordless so I went with corded.

Comment

>>I saw a youtube video of a guy using the autohammer and I laughed.<<

The few times I've used my auto-hammer I've actually laughed at MYSELF, but nobody could hear me over the tornadic noise the thing makes. Your comment reminded of when I first got my auto-hammer head. I was determined to find a way to use it. A friend asked me if I would hang one of those big round outdoor thermometers on his mother's patio wall. He warned me that she was 89 years old, and "a little grumpy". I grabbed my JobMax with my brand new auto-hammer head and drove over to the woman's house. After a few minutes of deafening noise, the job was done. The old lady came out of the house, handed me a one-dollar bill and told me this was the last time she would ever hire an idiot with a jack-hammer, to hang something on her wall. She made a good point.

I really haven't figured out a good use for the auto-hammer head. I'd appreciate knowing what other people use theirs for.

Thanks,
              Dan

Comment

You know I find some of the attachment heads more gimmicky than real world useful. The auto hammer just seems silly and the osculating head has no purpose in the type of work I do but I am hoping the sanding attachment will be the redeeming quality for that head.

For me the three attachment heads that would be the most usefull would be the Reciprocating Saw head (which works great by the way), the jigsaw (I own the older cordless version, rarely use, it's heavy and bulky) and the 90 deg drill head for drilling holes between joist etc.

The other heads such as the 90 deg impact driver etc also seem ok but I have no need for those.

I guess the main thing to remember is the tool does offer a few specialty heads and if you are searching for uses for that tool than it's probably not a tool you need.

Personally I like the fact it takes the same batteries as the rest of my kit and does offer me a few choices for different attachments at a relatively reasonable price.

Comment

The Autohammer is great for nailing joist hangers. I'm not a pro so I don't have a hanger gun, but the autohammer is really easy to get in there between joists to put all the nails into the sides of the hanger.

Comment

Working...
                  X