Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
R4141 Abrasive cut-off ( chop saw) Questions NOT covered or addressed in Manual Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4141 Abrasive cut-off ( chop saw) Questions NOT covered or addressed in Manual

Hello ALL:

I needed a tool for cutting metal accurately so I bought 14 in. Abrasive Cut-Off Machine-R4141 at The Home Depot

I have never used one of these before but I set it up and went at it but have a few easy questions that aren't obvious to me.
    1. Manual doesn't mention what replacement 14" disc I can use for this saw.
    2. Is one on brand of abrasive dics better over another?
    3. Obviously a thinner disc may spin faster and be a greater force mulitplier to cut through a given piece of stock but is there an optimum thickness I can or should use?
    4. Can I use a different blade on this saw for cutting wood? Can I use this as a WOOD type of mitre saw if I use the appropriate blade?
    5. Are these abrasive discs known for catastrophic failure while cutting material resulting in personal injury?

Re: R4141 Abrasive cut-off ( chop saw) Questions NOT covered or addressed in Manual

there are various hardness of the blades, and there blades for different materials as well, (there are even abrasive blades for stone and concrete) ,

Usually if there is an assortment there will be some indication of what there best suited for,
    yesterday I bought some Dewalt brand for $3 each (14"), and they also had some at over $10, each, some for thin, and some for thick and various hardness of steel and type of steel,
    (on the farm here I usually just get the general purpose blades), more of a compromise of all the features, some life, and will cut a reasonable thickness, and most materials.

If the arbor size is correct and the blade speed rating is compatible with the saw,

I have heard the question the other way around CAN I USE A WOOD SAW FOR METAL, but I do not think I have heard the other way around?
    the wood saw will melt as there is a lot plastic, (the political correct answer is NO, it was not designed for cutting wood),

I think the way the fence is designed and so on it would not be the best and the guard is not that great compared to the miter saw, and the accuracy would leave a lot to be desired, but I am sure it could do it, if again the arbor and speed is compatible with the blade, (may be if one pulled the vice off the bed and made a ply wood table and fence and bolted on to the bed of the chop saw it would work some better for wood, but again the best would be to get a miter saw if that is the case, I think in the end you would be happier with the cuts and precision,

If one was just chopping construction grade lumber for length I could see the possibility with a added table and fence,

any brand of blade (if it fits and speed) should be able to be used on the saw, I have used many different brands of blades over the years,

if the blade is damaged, it should not be used, some times if some thing is not held tight or moved it gets pinched, it will take a chunk out of the blade or crack it, do not use it,

I have not heard of any "explosions" of blades, (I have heard of a grinder wheel exploding. I am sure it was damaged first.) (I am sure it has happened), but the manufacture and sellers liability would be such if it did happen and injure one it is not worth it to them to put out a sub standard product in that way, and the guard is for more than just keeping sparks off of you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

one more thing, do not let the sparks go against glass (unless you metal specks stuck to the glass)
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Re: R4141 Abrasive cut-off ( chop saw) Questions NOT covered or addressed in Manual

The right tool for the right job!
      That's the rule!

When using a cut off saw keep in mind to let the tool do the work...do not force the cut
      Remember to include the kerf [blade thickness] when setting up your cut

I have a 14" unknown brand from ENCO cut off saw 1992 vintage.
      I typically use a thin 1/8" blade I think the grit is around 24

I cut rebar, tubular steel, angle iron, steel tubing/pipe of various gauges.
      As a weekend warrior I usually never exceed 3/16" thick steel.

When properly using the cut off saw you should get years out of a blade.
      If you use it as a pro and everyday I have no clue how long the blade will last.

A cut off saw is NOT designed to cut wood and a miter saw is NOT designed to cut metal.
      They are similar in operation but completely different in design and safety features.

Please be safe avoid short cuts, wear the proper safety gear, and use the tool as it was
      designed for.

Cactus Man

Comment

I would not consider my self a pro (welder) but there are times I can go through a blade in a few hrs, but that is continuous cutting, depening on what I am building I prefer the band saw and normaly use a metal cuttng band saw when possible,

I guess the rail road will get one cut per rail cut when they cut rail I think I was told they use 18" blades, (my son knew a guy who had a friend who saved the RR blades for him and he made a chop saw to use them up, he had stacks of them yet to use up,
        so some depends on what your cutting and quality of blade,
        Last edited by BHD; 11-14-2012, 11:58 PM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
        X