Upper Wheel on Bandsaw rubbing shield

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Wheel on Bandsaw rubbing shield

I've had my bandsaw (BS1400) since March of 2011. All that time it's had the 3/8" blade that came with the saw. I have grandsons that would like to learn woodworking and so I changed out the blade to a 1/4" to help them make turns easier in 1/2" wood. When I tried tracking the new blade, there was a horrendous scraping sound coming from the upper housing as the blade came to the middle of the upper wheel. When I applied power to try it out, it REALLY sounded bad and I shut it down. Since the only help I get from customer service is to pack it up and haul it 79 miles from my home to have it checked out, I'm sure there's got to be a simpler solution. Has anyone experienced a similar problem that could be fixed without having to haul my bandsaw around the country? Appreciate any help you could offer.

Re: Upper Wheel on Bandsaw rubbing shield

Dear Mr. Gorilla,
    I think people are probably afraid to reply to your problem because they fear the name! A lot of folks are scared whenever they see gorillas. If they just knew that you were a pretty laid back guy and not going to attack them, they'd probably be more likely to help you with your bandsaw "rubbing" problem. So, for the time being, at least, you'll have to continue using the 3/8th blade on your saw, not a 1/4" one as you desire. And since you're almost 70 and it's very difficult to haul that heavy son-of-a-gun up from your basement and cart it 79 miles away for repair....well...hang tough ya ole goat !!!

Comment

Originally posted by gorilla View Post
      Has anyone experienced a similar problem that could be fixed without having to haul my bandsaw around the country? Appreciate any help you could offer.
      Perhaps no one had the same problem and had nothing to offer.

Edit: from these reviews it looks like you have a common problem and the machine is a POS:

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ridgid BS1400 Band Saw, 14-Inch
      Last edited by Plumber Punky; 06-02-2013, 12:56 PM.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Mr. Plumber Punky: Thank you for the "reviews" information. I've copied them out and will be attempting to correct the issues with my Bandsaw BS1400. One of the reviews mentioned that cust service wasn't what it used to be. I'll have to agree to that. 2 years before I purchased MY saw, my son-in-law purchased one and didn't open the box to set it up for over a year. When he finally set it up, the upper cast tensioning unit was completely broken right out of the box. We called customer service, they didn't want the old one to do destructive testing on it and sent us a new casting within a week...no other questions asked. Calling customer service on MY problem (Nov 2012) it was like I was some sort on criminal trying to bilk them out of parts. I too have many other Ridgid tools and have been very satisfied with them, but customer service on this unit really stunk. It's a shame, but I'm afraid more and more companies these days are taking similar approaches to customer service. When I was in the work force our management required us to view the Tom Peters tapes on what REAL customer service was all about! I'm afraid those days are over. I'm not into what POS stood for, but I assumed it was Piece Of Scrap. Good commentary on the saw and I appreciate you taking the time to direct me to some "REAL" fixes (from the GOOD reviews).

Comment

Originally posted by gorilla View Post
          Mr. Plumber Punky: Thank you for the "reviews" information. I've copied them out and will be attempting to correct the issues with my Bandsaw BS1400. One of the reviews mentioned that cust service wasn't what it used to be. I'll have to agree to that. 2 years before I purchased MY saw, my son-in-law purchased one and didn't open the box to set it up for over a year. When he finally set it up, the upper cast tensioning unit was completely broken right out of the box. We called customer service, they didn't want the old one to do destructive testing on it and sent us a new casting within a week...no other questions asked. Calling customer service on MY problem (Nov 2012) it was like I was some sort on criminal trying to bilk them out of parts.
          I too have many other Ridgid tools and have been very satisfied with them, but customer service on this unit really stunk. It's a shame, but I'm afraid more and more companies these days are taking similar approaches to customer service. When I was in the work force our management required us to view the Tom Peters tapes on what REAL customer service was all about! I'm afraid those days are over.
          It all comes down to those untrained in good customer service and the corporate policy of the all mighty dollar. Not too many of those good companies left anymore. I'm not saying the customer is always right, but good support of the product would be nice.

I'm not into what POS stood for, but I assumed it was Piece Of Scrap.
          POS = Piece of <something brown, usually excreted>

Good commentary on the saw and I appreciate you taking the time to direct me to some "REAL" fixes (from the GOOD reviews).
          No problem. Hope you have good luck with your saw.
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
          X