Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will they really keep sending me new batteries?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will they really keep sending me new batteries?

I purchased a 12v Ridgid drill with Nicad batteries and charger in 2002 or 03 at HD largely based on specs but also the lifetime warranty, incl batteries. I took it to a service provided about 4 yrs ago and rec'd 2 brand new batteries for free (took about 2 wks). Now, the batteries are getting weak again. I hope I can still find the receipt. Will they continue to send me new NiCad 12 volts? What happens if/when the 12 vt nicads aren't available? I know the 12 vt series isn't that popuplar and Lithium ion continues to be the battery of choice these days.

Also, it looks like Ridgid is still offering the liftetime battery and product warranty 10 yrs later, I didn't realize the program still existed.

Re: Will they really keep sending me new batteries?

Welcome to the Ridgid forum.

Well, much will depend on whether you registered your purchase into the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement. The coverage that you speak of is NOT a warranty... the "warranty" on Ridgid tools is only 3-years and that is the way it has always been.

However, there is the LLSA... and for that you needed to properly register the tool and all other components like the battery and charger. By your statement, you may well have done that, as you state you have already had the batteries replaced once. (BUT, was that under warranty or the LLSA?)

The next big question is whether you bothered to let Ridgid Customer Service know of the serial numbers of the battery replacements. Note when you visit the first page of this forum, that there is a notice regarding the importance of this. (However, that is a relatively NEW notification and the question as to what to do with replacement batteries and the LLSA has been asked often... so it is worth your while exploring as we may be still into some kind of transition period; but, I don't know for sure.)

The way this battery replacement thing is supposed to work is that when the Service Center provides you with new battery replacements under the LLSA, you have to call into Ridgid Customer Service and have our account records updated to reflect the new serial numbers. In that way, those "replacement" batteries are now covered. But if you don't do that, then Ridgid doesn't know but what you might have just purchased those batteries separately and individually purchased batteries are not covered under the LLSA. Only batteries that were part of the original tool purchase are covered, as is their LLSA replacements.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

The LLSA didn't begin until '04.

tealboy1 probably has a first generation TTI drill:

RIDGID® Brand Hand Held Power Tools, Stationary Power Tools, and Pneumatic Tools purchased between Sept. 1 2003 – Jan. 31 2004 are automatically covered under a Limited Lifetime Warranty. Proof of purchase from the original receipt is required to receive the Limited Lifetime Warranty. This warranty applies to the original purchaser and is not transferable... blah blah blah...
      This includes normal wear items such as brushes, chucks, motors, switches, gears and even cordless batteries in your qualifying RIDGID® Brand hand held and stationary power tools.
      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Doc,

By your "copy" (see first line, bolded phrase)... the LLSA was introduced in 2003 with the introduction of the Ridgid "orange" power tool line, which for the first time included a variety of hand-held power tools. (I still have the first introductory and holiday season tool flyers and though I'll have to check, I believe it did say "Agreement" and NOT "Warranty".)

So, Tealboy most likely purchased his tool in the fall of 2003, or perhaps in 2004. The LLSA was at that time and "introductory" offer to get their new line of tools into the market. Ridgid-brand power tools sold on or after February 2004 and to sometime in mid-2005 were not offered with the LLSA. However, when the LLSA (optional with proper registration) was re-introduced mid-to-late 2005, the offer was made to previous "Ridgid" tool purchasers to register their tools and thus gain the benefits of the LLSA.

I am of the understanding (perhaps wrongly so) that registration was NOT a specific requirement of the LLSA during that initial "introductory" period in 2003, through January or February of 2004. (IIRC, the introductory LLSA was initially through January 2004, but was extended through February.... I need to go find my original flyers to check those dates.)

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
          ... I believe it did say "Agreement" and NOT "Warranty".
          No, the first go-round was officially referred to as "Limited Lifetime Warranty". Perhaps some of the marketing material may have referred to it as an agreement, but the statement of warranty and all documentation provided to ASCs clearly said 'Warranty'.

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
          I am of the understanding (perhaps wrongly so) that registration was NOT a specific requirement of the LLSA during that initial "introductory" period in 2003, through January or February of 2004. (IIRC, the introductory LLSA was initially through January 2004, but was extended through February...
          You are correct. Qualification was automatic, but you did have to retain and present the original sales receipt when requesting service.

Also, the power tools made prior to TTI's reign, the grey Emerson-made tools, were covered under Emerson’s automatic lifetime warranty. But Emerson’s warranty only covered manufacturing defects that occurred when the tool was produced. Normal wear items were not covered for these grey Emerson tools. In fact, Ridgid ASCs received a letter in late 2011 basically stating that these tools are old, 99% of failures are wear or age related, and warranty claims for these tools will be looked at closely. In other words, you better be real sure that it's a legit defect if you file a warranty claim. No fudging.
          Last edited by Doctordeere; 11-23-2012, 11:46 PM. Reason: added info on Emerson-made tools

Comment

Good discussion here, appreciate the feedback. Yes, mine was purchased before the stringent requirements that exist today. I was only required to show my receipt, which i have kept. When i brought the drill in last time, the service shop needed the drill, batteries, charger and receipt. I was not required to register the product or do anything else. I am aware that the registration rules and such changed shortly after i got mine. Howsever, there was one thing raised here that makes me wonder if they'll find a way to avoid covering me. When the warranty replaced the batteries 3-4 yrs ago via the authorized svc shop, I did not register the new batteries. He processed all of the paperwork, but i'm not sure what all was involved in that and whether that will create a problem with getting another round of free batteries. I guess I'll find out next week.

Comment

Originally posted by tealboy1 View Post
              ... makes me wonder if they'll find a way to avoid covering me... I did not register the new batteries... whether that will create a problem with getting another round of free batteries.
              It's not that Ridgid/TTI is actively trying to avoid coverage. You were supposed to contact Ridgid within 90 days of replacement to have your registration updated with the new batteries' serial/date codes. Now, four years after the fact, Ridgid/TTI has no way of verifying that these batteries were actually supplied to replace those in your original kit. They might be some old batteries you bought for fifty cents at a garage sale. Hopefully the ASC took it upon themselves to update for you even though it's not their responsibility. Do you still have a copy of the service order from the ASC?

Comment

For the record, I bought a Lithium-Ion driver combo set a few years ago when they first came out and it was very clearly stated on the box and in the manual: Lifetime Warranty for all parts, charger, and batteries.

That "Lifetime Warranty" was one of the prime decisions in the purchase. In fact it was so impressive for the price that I dragged several co-workers back to the store that very day and they also bought the same combo. I noticed a month or so later that the combo kit was no longer available at HD and the similar ones no longer said "Lifetime Warranty."

I remember thinking at the time that someone must have re-thought the deal because it seemed too good to be true, and I was thankful that I'd registered mine and received the confirmation when I did.

Now that I've got a bad battery, I'm getting a little nervous about what I'm reading here. If they don't honor the agreement that I purchased the tool under, I'm going to be very upset. We'll find out in a few days when I've been to the service center.

Comment

There is a lot of confusion on this TTI/Ridgid "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement" (LLSA) thing. On every box that I've ever seen (or every tool that I've seen) it always states "3-year" warranty, and then shows the "LLSA" logo-type, in which you have to do some extra "eligibility" reading.

But, I've also seen it printed in the Home Depot catalog and in some of their flyers as "LIFETIME WARRANTY".... and of course if you talk to most Home Depot associates, they will tell you that it's got a "Lifetime Warranty".

Here on the Ridgid forum, this issue is often discussed and also often "cussed" for the delays in registration, lost paperwork, poor service centers, delays in parts, etc., etc., etc. While I am a fan of some of thier tools, I too am beginning to question my dedication to the brand. However, I don't see much in the way of these kinds of tools in my future anyway. But it has become an issue in standing by the brand name, when I see so many complaints. Thus far though, I have had only two tools that I've needed service on and both were handled satisfactorily in about a month's time.

I will have to address the 12-V Lithium battery issue here shortly though. I'm not particularly looking forward to that, but we shall see. Problem I see is that my "local" service center has changed three times in the last few years. That of course makes me wonder too.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
                    It's not that Ridgid/TTI is actively trying to avoid coverage. You were supposed to contact Ridgid within 90 days of replacement to have your registration updated with the new batteries' serial/date codes. Now, four years after the fact, Ridgid/TTI has no way of verifying that these batteries were actually supplied to replace those in your original kit. They might be some old batteries you bought for fifty cents at a garage sale. Hopefully the ASC took it upon themselves to update for you even though it's not their responsibility. Do you still have a copy of the service order from the ASC?
                    How would a consumer even know that they need to register replacement batteries? If it
                    were me and I took it to an ASC I would think that would be all the documentation I would
                    need. It appears that the ASC would not record the serial numbers of replacement items
                    according to what you are saying DoctorDeere. If that is the norm, I would think that the
                    ASC would advise the customer that they need to register the replacement items within the
                    allowed time frame or risk losing coverage.

So I wonder:

Are the newly issued replacement batteries covered under the original purchase agreement/warranty
                    or are they covered under the agreement in affect at the time they are issued to the customer? I think
                    that is the original question.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      How would a consumer even know that they need to register replacement batteries?
                      It's clearly stated in the LSA agreement. But then again, if the end-user would actually read the agreement, 90% of the threads on this forum regarding dis-satisfaction with LSA registration and service wouldn't be here.

I would think that the ASC would advise the customer that they need to register the replacement items within the allowed time frame or risk losing coverage.
                      I suspect that most ASCs do inform their customers. Ours certainly did when we were providing TTI warranty service.

Are the newly issued replacement batteries covered under the original purchase agreement/warranty or are they covered under the agreement in affect at the time they are issued to the customer?
                      The replacements, providing Ridgid/TTI is properly notified of the replacement, remain covered under the customer's existing LSA.

Comment

Working...
                      X