Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New RD8000 Starting Problems

Greetings!

New fellow here to the RIDGID Forums and am looking forward to learning on here which I'm finding to be the case. Well, I bought the RIDGID RD8000 Generator yesterday NIB from THD. After reading about it on this forum, the included Manual and YouTube, seems I'm having difficulty starting the generator. Fuel, oil, are "fresh" and just added. Spark plug is clean. Looked over the unit and there's no perceived loose wires or connections that I'm aware of.

The Troubleshooting Guide in the manual I've gone over and try as I may, for some reason it still doesn't want to fire up. It does turn and "whine" for lack of a better word, but just does not want to power on its own steam. Is there something that I've missed, am doing wrong? Certainly when it comes to electrical/mechanical, I'm no expert at all. Please advise and thanks for your consideration!

Re: New RD8000 Starting Problems

Make sure the fuel shutoff valve is open.

Check the oil level per the manuals instructions to make sure its correct, or else the low oil cutoff will kick in and the thing will never start.

Comment

i believe that drdeere on another post mentioned that the factory oil pint was not enough. double check the oil level on a flat surface and fill it up to the full mark.

also make sure there is a full tank of gas too. a partial tank might not prime the pump or gravity feed.

drdeere will have the real answer when he reads this.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I'll first assume that with all the steps you've covered, ensuring that the fuel valve is "on" was one of them.
        Also, like Rick mentioned, proper oil level and enough fuel to get the flow started are both critical.

If it were my generator, I'd first open the carburetor bowl's drain screw and see if (1) fuel flow is reaching the carburetor, and (2) to verify that what's in the carburetor is gasoline and not water or alcohol - which can result from contaminated ethanol-blended fuel.

If that doesn't reveal the issue, I'd simply return/exchange it.
        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Thank you very much for the responses. Much appreciated.

I've checked and rechecked going over again as instructed in the manual and the advice given here. The carburetor bowl is working and there is clean fuel in it. Tank's full, oil levels fine. The spark plug is clean and there is also spark. I noticed that when I sprayed starting fluid in the carburetor the engine will start/turn somewhat with white smoke out the exhaust, but will quit soon thereafter. It does that each time I use the starting fluid. I don't want to give up just yet. If not, then as Doctordeere said:

Originally posted by Doctordeere
          If that doesn't reveal the issue, I'd simply return/exchange it.

Comment

Originally posted by SkoolOfHardKnox View Post
            Thank you very much for the responses. Much appreciated.

I've checked and rechecked going over again as instructed in the manual and the advice given here. The carburetor bowl is working and there is clean fuel in it. Tank's full, oil levels fine. The spark plug is clean and there is also spark. I noticed that when I sprayed starting fluid in the carburetor the engine will start/turn somewhat with white smoke out the exhaust, but will quit soon thereafter. It does that each time I use the starting fluid. I don't want to give up just yet. If not, then as Doctordeere said:
            I have a Honda mower that behaved similarly. I took the carb apart 2 or three times convinced that something had to be in there.

Clean spark plug. Watched fire on the end with it out & wire connected when pulling the cord. Put it all back together. Run for a second with starting fluid, dead. Fuel was good, oil was fine. Finally in a last ditch effort I replaced the stupid spark plug.

And the damm thing ran fine after that.

Comment

Well, in this instance the previous response to this response has to be approved by the Administrators since I linked a short video clip as to what the slight trouble I'm facing with said generator. Hopefully it'll be posted.

Comment

give us the youtube link and i'll post it.

if need be leave off the www.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  give us the youtube link and i'll post it.

if need be leave off the www.

rick.
                  Thanks! Here's the link:

youtube.com/watch?v=GmytpYo8LJA&feature=plcp

Comment

can't find it.

what's your youtube name?

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      can't find it.

what's your youtube name?

rick.
                      That's interesting? I'm ViDU2ube on YouTube.
                      Last edited by SkoolOfHardKnox; 11-26-2012, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Have you tried cranking it longer than you were in the video? It might need some time to pull the fuel in, especially if it was run dry after last use (or has never been run since its brand new).

Also try it with the fuel cap not fully tightened.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
                          Have you tried cranking it longer than you were in the video? It might need some time to pull the fuel in, especially if it was run dry after last use (or has never been run since its brand new).

No, I haven't cranked it for longer than that. Maybe I should try that out even though the Manual states no longer than 5 seconds. The date on this particular generatort is November 4 2011, but don't know if that's when it was built/assembled/QC'd or shipped from the factory. My guess is that it's been sitting around "dry" for about a year until now.

Comment

Originally posted by SkoolOfHardKnox View Post
                            That's interesting? I'm ViDu2ube on YouTube.
                            still can't find it. normally it will come up by your name/ channel.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post

did you find the video link? can you post it?

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X