Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid R82001 12V 2 Speed - battery compatibility question

Hi all -

I've just picked up this drill from a fellow carpenter, gratis. It's seen little use. Each battery seems to charge well, but it's somewhat difficult to tell what shape they're in, given the age of the kit. I'm getting around 6-7 longer deck screws per charge, if I push it.

Allowing for the fact that this is a 12v kit, with older nimh/nicad batteries (can't recall, offhand), does that seem like reasonable new battery output for this generation of cordless? My initital perusal of the forum archives seems to suggest that this may be the case, but I'd like to call on the wisdom of the forum for a more educated opinion...

More importantly, which newer batteries would be compatibile with this drill?

I've had very good luck with the first generation of orange Ridgid corded contractor tools (though no experience with the cordless) and would like to not have to relegate the drill to the dustbin, as it's fit/finish are fairly high quality, compared to much of what else is out there.

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments.

C. S. Richardson

Re: Ridgid R82001 12V 2 Speed - battery compatibility question

Hello ChasRichardson, welcome to the forum.

I'm not familiar with that drill but I'm sure one of the others will post a more helpful response soon.

Comment

I don't own any 12V tools but I think that you should be able to drive quite a few more long deck screws than 6-7 on a single charge. You might want to consider sending out your batteries to have them rebuilt. Here is one place you might consider but you may want to do a Google type search for someone closer to you.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Man i loved my r82001 (bought in 2003). It would do at least a 100 screws on a charge when new. I think yours is dead. When my batteries dies a couple years ago, i found out they stopped making nicd and moved to li-ion. The new packs dont work with this old drill. My drill was pretty well used by then so i ponied up for the new 12v drill. Very happy with it. Much more compact and does whatever i need it to do. I think that the latest is about 99 at depot. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
        X