Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Saw | Do Fence Rails Support Cast Iron Extension Wings?

I have a Ridgid 3650 with the stock fence. The cast iron wings bolt to the main table at 4 points on each side. The wings also bolt to the rails at 2 points on the front and 2 on the back for each wing. I want to install the Vega Pro 50 fence that only bolts to the main table.

My question is will the extension wings be properly supported by only being bolted to the main body and NOT the fence rails? Are the wing bolts for the stock rails only there to support the stock rails? I just want to ensure that the extension wings are properly supported if I upgrade my fence.

Thanks,
    Danny

Re: Table Saw | Do Fence Rails Support Cast Iron Extension Wings?

won't the new fence be fastened to the table and/or wings in some fashion?

I can't answer the question as to if their design takes credit for the rails as part of the supporting structure for the wings, but my personal opinion is they are not intended to, even though they may offer some support to the wings. Only someone from Ridgid or TTI involved with or knowledgeable of the design would be able to answer that I think.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

The Vega fence rails fasten to the main center table but not the wings. I am in agreement with your opinion and think that bolting the stock rails to the wings is more for the rails than it is for the wings. I'm sure they have the added benefit of additional support but the four bolts going into the main table should be sufficient. I spoke with Randy over at Vega and he was very helpful. I am leaning toward making the purchase. It seems like a great deal for 50 inch right rip.

Comment

my ridgid 2412 (entry level predecessor to the 3650) has a left side CI wing that is not attached to the rails at all. presents no problems.

Attachment
        Attached Files
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by sdmf84 View Post
          I have a Ridgid 3650 with the stock fence. The cast iron wings bolt to the main table at 4 points on each side. The wings also bolt to the rails at 2 points on the front and 2 on the back for each wing. I want to install the Vega Pro 50 fence that only bolts to the main table.

My question is will the extension wings be properly supported by only being bolted to the main body and NOT the fence rails? Are the wing bolts for the stock rails only there to support the stock rails? I just want to ensure that the extension wings are properly supported if I upgrade my fence.

Thanks,
          Danny
          The bolts to the rails are to level the wings so that you have one flat surface. The four bolts secure the wings to the table. If the wings are sagging with the new set up you may have to add the bolts to keep the wings level

Comment

Working...
          X