X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid Pressure Washer - RD80746 - leaking differential fluid from pump

I bought this pressure washer in 2008 and it has run well up to this point. The pump has started to leak differential fluid after stopping the maching but not during use. This is the second time it leaked differential fluid, but this time around it was a lot more than previously. I don't see any way to check the pump oil/differential fluid and or to change it. Is there instructions online on how to complete this task? It may be something simple as a gasket to the housing that's just leaking or letting water get by? I'm sure the unit is out of warrant at this point and the only other option would most likely be to take it to a shop. However, I rather make a go at it myself if it's not too involve. Attached are a few photos I took of the oil coming out of the unit after stopping it.

Thanks,

-Jerry

Click image for larger version

Name:	45fe5ef25f5507f6bba6e2134510d3aa.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	16891Click image for larger version

Name:	e223b5a34a116da2ed17dce001d44c9b.jpg
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	16892Click image for larger version

Name:	aa9d4d07d9547aab12497dbf7f8c526f.jpg
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	16893Click image for larger version

Name:	bc8e6833678aae3b6d5cd9b46493a236.jpg
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	16890

Re: Rigid Pressure Washer - RD80746 - leaking differential fluid from pump

Unfortunately, when the AR axial cam pumps start leaking like that, it's pretty much all over. I've rebuilt hundreds of those pumps and haven't seen one leaking past the main seal that was salvageable. That pump (309515001) was discontinued in 2009. The replacement pump is part number 309515003 and costs far less than rebuilding yours would.

Pump [309515003] - $86.75 at eReplacementParts.com
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Bummer! This brings up a few other questions. Is the replacement pump as good or better than the original pump? Are the CAT pumps worth the extra investment? Or is it safe to say all pumps fail at some point and rebuilding/replacing them is standard fair for all pressure washers. I really hate to toss my old pump if there is something salvageable on it. Would it be of any value to a small engine replacement shop that can aquire the parts at cost? I should note that the pressure washer still worked even after it dumped some of it's oil from the pump. Although, it may not work much longer. I guess there is only so much pump saver can do or is that only good for the in/out seals and not the main housing? Are there any instructions included with the replacement pump on installing or is it simply a direct bolt on? Do I need to pick up oil for it or is it already in the replacement unit sealed? The oil looked/smelled like differential fluid, but can you confirm if that's correct and what viscosity I would need?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to cover all the bases. Please let me know if I missed anything myself and thanks again for the speedy reply.

-Jerry
      Last edited by R1g1d; 11-28-2012, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R1g1d View Post
        ... Is the replacement pump as good or better than the original pump?
        Are the CAT pumps worth the extra investment?
        ... Would it be of any value to a small engine replacement shop that can aquire the parts at cost?
        Are there any instructions included with the replacement pump on installing or is it simply a direct bolt on?
        Do I need to pick up oil for it or is it already in the replacement unit sealed?
        Once you move into the realm of the inexpensive Chinese axial-cam pressure pumps, "good" and "better" is measured in insignificant degrees. It's "better" than your current pump, because your current pump has failed.
        CAT pumps are great. But by the time you buy a pump and an adapter plate, you've spent as much repairing your four year old washer than you would have spent buying a new washer with a CAT.
        Sorry, but your old pump's value is limited to its weight in metal scrap.
        The replacement comes pre-filled with oil. Direct bolt-on, no instructions needed.

Comment

Oh well, such is the throw away society we live in. In any event, I appreciate your candid input and will simply replace the pump and move on from there. I'm grateful that there is at least still a replacement unit that can give new life to the pressure washer given the engine is still healthy.

Thanks,

-Jerry

Comment

I received my pump from Ereplacements. The swap was easy and it works well. A few things I did noticed though:

1. The new pump doesn't completely cover the mounting flange on the engine block like the old pump's base did. I don't think it really matters as the only thing in there is the engine shaft. This just allows it to "breath" a bit better?
            2. I had to move some parts off my old pump to the new pump. The quick disconnect outlet had to be moved over and the vent cansister that sits on the back side of the inlet was moved over. I'm not sure what the actual name of that plastic piece is but it look like that was the right thing to do or the inlet water would shoot out the back of the pump. I could see clearly through the pump when it was not attached. I also used teflon tape on the threads for the outlet connection but it appeared they had used lockrite on the threads (blue in color).
            3. The new pump appears to only provide 2.4 GPM of pressure where as the old pump was rated at 2.5 GPM. The machine is actually rated at 2.6 GPM but testing the new pump didn't see to hint there was much of any difference.
            4. The sticker on the pump showed 85W90 differential fluid was used. I was wondering this myself but couldn't determine it via an online search on this forum. Just a FYI for those savvy enough to rebuild your own but that may vary across pump models.
            5. Like most things these days, the pump is made in China. I actually knew this in advance but thought it was funny how they put made in PRC instead of China on the sticker.

Attached are some photos for those interested. I labeled it for grins which may help understand the photo better. Thanks you Dr. Deere for pointing me in the right direction.

-Jerry

Click image for larger version

Name:	72cdf121dc4afa86c2d893aa1bd2fbaf.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	16916Click image for larger version

Name:	18351df6b3f7b8f264cc1e71ec5f68d5.jpg
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	16917Click image for larger version

Name:	bd58b70c4a533ffcf610a1b4590f1e74.jpg
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	16918Click image for larger version

Name:	31daad4a0e11a89d9332fdfef92d67ea.jpg
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	16919Click image for larger version

Name:	ae7a8bed97729a21d26051824d033a24.jpg
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	16920Click image for larger version

Name:	807e7cf8d1a3deab5e65d8ee1e8716fd.jpg
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	16921Click image for larger version

Name:	1232515c4fc4f32a775dc09669e7732e.jpg
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	16922

Comment

Good job Jerry!
              FWIW, your old pump was made in China too.
              The new pump is rated at 2.4 GPM when the unloader is set at 2500 psi. When it's dialed up to 3000, the GPM jumps to around 2.7. It was factory calibrated at 3000, so you're good to go.

Comment

That's good to know and I didn't touch any of the adjustments on the pump due to my lack of knowledge. That being said, is there a simple way to confirm the settings or can this only be accomplished with special tools? I can actually see the spring near the inlet/outlet move when engaging and disengaging the pressure washer.

Comment

That's the unloader spring. Don't attempt to adjust it unless you have a quality 5000 psi gauge fitted in a QC tee. Each one of the hundreds of those pumps I've replaced was thoroughly checked after the install, every one of them was within a few pounds of 3000 (except for one or two that were completely DOA). Just let it ride. You'd need a calibrated flow meter to accurately check the GPM... I doubt you would need to be that anal, but they're available at Grainger if you just have to satisfy your inner engineer. The flow meter plumbs inline on the inlet side, not the outlet. Honestly, the numbers mean squat. If it works to your satisfaction just be happy and enjoy the day.

Comment

I'm content at this point and appreciate the insight.

Comment

Working...
                    X