RD8000 Choke Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RD8000 Choke Issue

I have purchased an RD8000 last year to use for power outages. I start it each month to make sure everthing is ok and it has been fine untill now. Today, it started fine but I was not able to open the choke back up fully without the engine stalling. Even after a warm up of greater than 10 minutes, the engine seemed to run smoothly with the choke half open/closed but stalled at full open and fully closed. Previously, I have been able to fully open the choke after a couple of minutes and get a smooth run. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: RD8000 Choke Issue

Originally posted by CHBibart View Post
    I have purchased an RD8000 last year to use for power outages. I start it each month to make sure everthing is ok and it has been fine until now...
    So, the fuel in the generator is the fuel you put in last year?
    Did you mix in a long-term fuel stabilizer?
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I do not recall when I refueled last, but I treated the fuel with Sta-Bil and always shut down the engine by shutting off the fuel line valve.

Comment

I have several engines that will not run with choke completely off. I have suspicions that it has a lot to do with Ethanol Gas and that the carb needs to be rebuilt. Because of the Alcohol in Ethanol, it has adverse effects. Not only attract moisture, but works on any non metallic parts in the fuel system and gums up faster.

I might be wrong with my assessment, but that's all I got to go on now.

Ron

Comment

UPDATE:

I had the carburetor cleaned and everything is back to normal. I contacted Subaru-Robin tech support and they provided a tip sheet on avoiding this problem. It included: use of a fuel stabliizer, shutting down the engine only by closing the fuel line, draining the carburetor, and pulling the starter rope to flush out all fuel in the carb. This was recommended after every use of generators used only during power outages. Very sensitive carb.!!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X