X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Tools?

What are some of the worst tools you purchased or were given as a gift?

Re: Worst Tools?

Rapid pipe wrenches , cresent brand channel locks, every black and decker tool in my shop , my milwaukee hacks all m12 sawzall been sent away to get fixed like six times.

Comment

I had a pair of channel pliers (don't even want to mention the Chanellock name in the same sentence) that sucked so bad the jaws would actually slip and bypass one another.

Labeled them "The finger pinchers". Primarily used to hit something.

Comment

I've been given and have been guilty of purchasing a few of those MasterCraft gimmick tools which turned out to be garbage.

MasterCraft Maximum Speed Ratchet Set

The quick Flip drill and Driver... lol that thing was so long on the end of the drill it was scary.

On a positive note however some of the best tools I've ever owned include, my metal lathe, mig welder and compound mitre saw.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	15360e6de18e91aee347847fc770522b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	16903

Craftsman Robo-Grip Pliers

Bob Villa was hawking these things. Worked great at rounding off bolts

Comment

Craftsman Auto-Lock Pliers

My wife gave me a set of these for Christmas one year, pure junk.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Probably the latest tool purchase that I'm disatisfied with would be my 12-V Ridgid Job-Max. The Li-Ion batteries just suck! Personally I think this is just a poorly designed tool because of it's power selection. Even with three freshly charged batteries, you can't complete a job with it. It will run for just a very few minutes and then you get that "stop-hesitation- start" thing, like the trigger is bad. The batteries simply seem to overload and shut down. I've had this for about three years now and wish I had simply waited for the corded model to come out. Personally, I think TTI "Ridgid-brand" should just own up and offer a trade-in for the corded handle.

Another mis-step by TTI is thier Ryobi 3-base 1802M router which came out several years ago. Frankly I love the router, but the plastic-like material used in the housing was poorly chosen and it swells to the point where you can't adjust the depth. Many of us have talked about this before and Ryobi denies that there is any trouble or even reports. I did have them send me a new housing, and that was no where near the dimensions that it should have been; and it won't begin to fit into either of the fixed bases. As it is, it makes a very nice plunge router with a good motor, decent collet, and overall design... but the poor motor housing negates any use for the two fixed bases.

I'm pretty selective about the tools that I buy. I can't afford to waste money with poor choices. Occasionally you buy or are presented with a lousey pair of pliers, a screw driver set or something along that line. Hey, there's lots of junk our there. But, I don't find that it necessarily relates to price. I've had Craftsman screw drivers split and chip (but they replace without question), and I have some cheap screw drivers that have worked well for years. I try to stick with top brands where possible, but there is some cheap stuff that is surprisingly well done.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                Click image for larger version

Name:	15360e6de18e91aee347847fc770522b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	16903

Craftsman Robo-Grip Pliers

Bob Villa was hawking these things. Worked great at rounding off bolts

Yep i just threw mine away, they sucked

Comment

Stanley Bostich racheting crescent wrench.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Excellent thread.

Comment

Bought a pack of 3 box cutters at Lowe's once. All red in color. Can't remember the name on them. Might have been Task Force.

Literally would fall apart with any force on something like that tough corner of a water heater box. Blades wouldn't stay in place. Just sucked.

Comment

yup, same problem but with the HD folding boxcutters. The thumbstud is pressed to remove a blade but I'm so used to thumbstuds to open a pocket knife. I've had blades just coming flying out.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Just forgot...had a fancy boxcutter. Can't remember the brand right now. G10 scale handles and ratcheting action. Holder was cut out to expose more blade. This thing was crap also. the button to open or close was to small and would jamb with dirt.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

jet 18" band saw (jwbs-18). what a POS. and the company supporting it? an even bigger POS. i'll NEVER buy another jet or powermatic product. really average tools with premium prices obviously designed, these days, to appeal to know nothing wood working wanna be tool snobs.
                            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                              jet 18" band saw (jwbs-18). what a POS. and the company supporting it? an even bigger POS. i'll NEVER buy another jet or powermatic product. really average tools with premium prices obviously designed, these days, to appeal to know nothing wood working wanna be tool snobs.
                              not knowing who makes jet or powermatic tools... and since you have such a powerful view of this 'fine and upstanding' corporation who is the parent company?
                              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
                              X