X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which oscillating multi-tool?

Originally posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    [ Have to track down the allen wrench to remove the screw ]

Maybe I'm naive Bob, but I don't understand why all tools that require allen wrenches don't have secure, onboard storage for those wrenches. Why isn't that always part of the engineering right from the beginning? If Part "A" is necessary for Part "B" to function, shouldn't Parts A & B somehow be packaged together? It seems that tool manufacturers should always accept that they have 2 options: quick-change accessories, or onboard tool storage. Isn't this an example of "common sense", consumer-focused design?

Dan
    An excellent point, and one that I ask myself every time I cant find the darn thing. I guess for a corded model you could pick up one of those plastic holders to hook over the cord itself (like for the chuck key on a drill, etc). DeWalt included one on my corded recip saw for the allen wrench needed to change those blades.

For a cordless tool its a little harder, I know Lowes sells a "wrap" holder for drill bits, I guess you could fit an allen wrench into it.

For the price paid it should be included, especially on the better tools.

FWIW, I just ordered the FMM205Q Select Plus kit. Sears says they have it in stock in my local store but I havent gotten email confirmation so I dont know how true that was. May have to wait for it to show up in store instead.

Comment

Sears came through, just picked up the FMM250Q Select Plus kit.

Currently on sale for 237.99, 5% extra off if you use your Sears card, then got another 9% cash back from Ebates.com. ~$60.00 less than Amazons price (counting tax), which isnt bad considering Fein stuff is usually close to full price.

Normally wouldnt advocate buying the kit for extra pieces, but the price was close enough to the bagged "kit" from HD that I think the Sears deal is worth it. You get the carbide rasps which are always expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantaDan View Post
        [ Have to track down the allen wrench to remove the screw ]

Maybe I'm naive Bob, but I don't understand why all tools that require allen wrenches don't have secure, onboard storage for those wrenches. Why isn't that always part of the engineering right from the beginning? If Part "A" is necessary for Part "B" to function, shouldn't Parts A & B somehow be packaged together? It seems that tool manufacturers should always accept that they have 2 options: quick-change accessories, or onboard tool storage. Isn't this an example of "common sense", consumer-focused design?

Dan
        it would be nice. even a leash to attach it to the cord would be nice (for corded tools).
        On board storage should be easy to figure out and implement.
        As you said why they didn't is the big question.

I don't think you will regret going with the Fein. It is the best overall but at top dollar.
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

My cordless JobPlus has a magnet in the base, "to hold nails, etc". The irony is that its not strong enough to hold the allen key in place!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
            My cordless JobPlus has a magnet in the base, "to hold nails, etc". The irony is that its not strong enough to hold the allen key in place!
            i never noticed that on mine. now I have to go look.

Comment

Bought the Jobmax also for HVAC retrofit on a ten story high rise we're doing. Glad I did(better than using the sawzall for T-stat installs).

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
                Bought the Jobmax also for HVAC retrofit on a ten story high rise we're doing. Glad I did(better than using the sawzall for T-stat installs).
                Hahah nice! I can just see myself trying something like that.

Next up: Bosch hammer drill to install a drywall anchor

Comment

Bosch MX25EC-21 2.5-Amp Multi-X Oscillating Tool Kit - Amazon.com

Comment

I bought this one over a year ago and its still going strong: Multifunction Oscillating Power Tool - 1.6 Amp, 120 Volt

TWENTY BUCKS!!!!

Comment

>>I bought this one over a year ago and its still going strong: Multifunction Oscillating Power Tool - 1.6 Amp, 120 Volt<<

I'm always reluctant to suggest Harbor Freight power tools because I know that a lot of professionals have had really bad luck with them. I own several brands of "multi-tools" including a corded Harbor Freight model. I only use the H.F. tool for grout and mortar work, figuring that if it filled with dust and failed I would only be out 30 bucks. But grout/mortar work is the most demanding work that I do, and the H.F. tool has been doing the work for close to 2 years. I don't offer that as a ringing endorsement, but only as an option.

Some of the H.F. accessories for the tool are useless, and some are very good buys. Their diamond blade is a great buy and lasts a lot longer than the price would indicate. There is another thread in this forum that describes how to adapt H.F. accessories so that they can be used on other tool brands, assuming you don't have their universal accessories.

Of the other multi-tools that I own, I like:
                      JobMax 12v for convenience in tight areas
                      Ryobi 18V for "feel", and its ability to use Ridgid heads
                      JobMax corded for power

If I could start over (way too late now) I'd give the Bosch a try based on my own experience with Bosch, as well as the ongoing praise forum members have given the brand.
                      -Dan

Comment

I have the original Dremel corded, which I think is closer to the HF than any other one. Would like to avoid.

I did pick up the FMM250Q Select Plus for a good price (about 220), but am now still wondering about the Bosch. The Fein is nice because its a lot lighter, and can use the same blades as my Ryobi cordless so I wont need to buy 2 sets. The Bosch I guess has more power, and possibly a slightly quicker quick change (since it doesnt have the "pin" that the FMM does), but its heavier and would use separate blades from my Ryobi (so I would tend to get a larger "kit" so as not to need to buy a second set of blades quickly)

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
                          isn't it? a multi-tool is the cleanest way to cut an opening in drywall for an outlet, stat, data port, etc.
                          before the multi-tool i used my sheet rock knife, now i use it les and the jobmax for most jobs.
                          a sheet rock saw is way too messy if you are working on old construction. new work before finishes
                          are in no problem, use what you got handy, but for minimal mess use the multi-tool and a small shop vac.

Comment

Working...
                          X