X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24V Battery in 18V tool?

I'm pretty sure I read here some time ago that someone had figured out a way to modify the current 18 volt tools to accept a 24V XLI battery. Grinding a tab off or something like that maybe? I've searched for every keyword combination I can imagine. I'd like an impact driver and maybe a jigsaw but the MaxSelect ones are getting hard to find. Thanks!

Re: 24V Battery in 18V tool?

should make it run 6 volts faster on a motor that's not designed for it. sounds smart to me.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by dgerst View Post
      I'm pretty sure I read here some time ago that someone had figured out a way to modify the current 18 volt tools to accept a 24V XLI battery. Grinding a tab off or something like that maybe? I've searched for every keyword combination I can imagine. I'd like an impact driver and maybe a jigsaw but the MaxSelect ones are getting hard to find. Thanks!

i dont think thats what you read, i think it was making the ryobi 24 volt to fit ridgid

Comment

I know a 14.4volt battery works find in my 12volt right angle impact driver. Regarding a wider variety of cordless tools, best to consider DeWalt, Milwaukee or one of the other major brands.
        Christmas is coming, but Ridgid won't be wrapping any new cordless tools in orange. Come on Ridgid, match tool for tool and make us happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          I know a 14.4volt battery works find in my 12volt right angle impact driver. Regarding a wider variety of cordless tools, best to consider DeWalt, Milwaukee or one of the other major brands.
          Christmas is coming, but Ridgid won't be wrapping any new cordless tools in orange. Come on Ridgid, match tool for tool and make us happy.
          wont be any new tools before christmas, have to wait till new year to be disapointed buddy!

Comment

Just buy the Multi plex batt. kit. You can use any battery in most any tool !I love it !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The trigger switches in most cordless variable speed tools are stamped with their rated voltage and max current. Hook up a 24v battery to a switch with electronics rated at 18v and you'll probably release the magic smoke.
              "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Doctordeere, my x3 drill has a 24v rated trigger. Still wouldn't do it though.

Comment

BTW, I did modify my 18v collated screw gun to accept the 24v batteries and it hasn't failed yet. Only paid 20 bucks for it on clearance so dont really care if it dies.

Comment

I have been doing this since ridgid came out with the 24 volt lithium system in 06 I think. I bought the 24 volt system from ridgid and also bought the 18 volt drill on eBay for 30 bucks, then modified it to accept the 24 volt battery. Have used it on and off for six years like that. The drill is great because now I have two drills the the speeds are different on low and high are about 33% faster so now I am more flexible with having a drill to meet what I need for speed between the two. I have found that the 24 volt drill under the right circumstance will overheat faster than the 18 volt drill doing the same job. After taking both drills apart and closely examining the motors, I believe this is because the 18 volt motor has fewer turns of heavier wire on the armature poles thus allowing it to handle more current than the 24 volt motor with more turns of thinner wire on the armature poles. I have found that the 24 volt ridgid battery will trip on overload before it can overheat the 18 volt drill.

Comment

Sorry for the poor grammer, I was posting using my droid razrmaxx and when the post gets long the phone starts to act up.

Comment

What is this multi plex batt kit? I would like to use my 12v ridgid batteries in the milwaukee heated coat. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                        X