X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium ion drills

Looking into changing over to these from nicad drills. Any recommendations? Any brands or models to steer clear of? Voltage-weigh ratio issues?
    I'd prefer domestic, but quality is my most important criterion.

Re: Lithium ion drills

What kind of use will the drill get?

Comment

When you say domestic, who makes one here now? I thought they were all imported.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantaDan View Post
        What kind of use will the drill get?
        The hard kind.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          When you say domestic, who makes one here now? I thought they were all imported.
          I'm no expert on this, that's why I'm asking. I just bought a truck and I've gotten a number of remarks about it being of foreign origin. And, why did I buy foreign? Because my SIL works in the on shore corp office of the manufacturer and I got it very close to cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
            Looking into changing over to these from nicad drills. Any recommendations? Any brands or models to steer clear of? Voltage-weigh ratio issues?
            I'd prefer domestic, but quality is my most important criterion.
            There is a domestic drill left? You have a power & price range? Reason I ask is that a manufacturer might have a great drill at one power/price but not another.

My best experiences have been with Makita and Bosch. Favorite all time being the Makita 14.4 NiMH battery kit. Used it almost daily for 8 to 10 years, it's in the truck right now ready to be used, and I guarantee you it will work like it's supposed too. Had one battery die so far and one starting to get weaker in my opinion. Found a deal on batteries to keep it going long as I can.

The Bosch 18v NiCd always performed as it should as well under similar use. Had one trigger need replacement after about 1.5 years which they fixed without question. Batteries died after around 4 years? and I never found a good enough deal to replace batteries vs. just replace kit.

As far as your "foreign" truck. Who knows anymore. I believe some Toyota trucks are made in Kentucky. Just heard on the radio that the vehicle that has the most production in the U.S. is the Toyota Avalon.

Comment

Bob
              I'm not interested in NiCad or NiMH. Lithium Ion seems to have a few advantages over both these types of batteries. However, before I take the plunge and buy a couple dozen drills, I thought I'd get a little schooling in.

Comment

I wouldn't be either. I don't even know if you can get either anymore. Being phased out for LiIon. One thing I find annoying about the LiIon I've used is how it just "dies" right now and how they promote it. Like it is some magical feature. I know it is supposed to save the battery in some way but I find it to just be an annoyance.

I have little experience with many LiIon drills because.....the NiMh Makita has been so good I haven't needed to change it.

I DO have experience with Milwaukee V28. Take it off the list right now. Not good.

Comment

I have the porter cable Li-ion kit. Pretty durable. Drilled numerous 3-5" holes with hole saws in plywood and through side walls of houses. Probably drilled 50 holes before it burned out. LOLs. Owner abuse...not a warranty issue. Not turned in as one either, but anyway...

The first LX battery pack included had a bad cell that caused it to puke just out of warranty. Average battery life, comparable to NiCad. Shuts off automatically when voltage is low. Shuts off on overheat. May not work in extremely cold weather.

Kit included a cloth carry bag, an EX (large) battery, an LX battery, charger, drill/driver, circular saw, flashlight, reciprocating saw. Price was $179 at Lowes a few years ago.
                  ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Did a bunch of looking. Think this might be worth consideration.

HDH181-01 18V Brute Tough

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                      Did a bunch of looking. Think this might be worth consideration.

HDH181-01 18V Brute Tough
                      I have the new compact drills and the older version of the full size. They are all excellent. There are many tools in the line-up, and Bosch is releasing the new 4 amp hour batteries along with the new brushless motors early next year:
                      Bosch Core Brushless

Comment

Originally posted by erngum View Post
                        I have the new compact drills and the older version of the full size. They are all excellent. There are many tools in the line-up, and Bosch is releasing the new 4 amp hour batteries along with the new brushless motors early next year:
                        Bosch Core Brushless
                        Maybe I'll wait until then.

Comment

Originally posted by erngum View Post
                          Bosch Core Brushless
                          Wow, thats some nice lookin stuff!

I stand by my Ridgid 18V NiCD set, but that Bosch stuff makes me wanna jump ship. Already have the 2 free 18V (small packs) from the promo after buying the jobsite radio.

Comment

Over 5 years ago I bought the Hitachi DV18DL with 3.0 amp li-ion battery packs and couldn't be more pleased. The packs have an excellent power curve and maintain full power instead of a steady decline as typical with other cell types, then as voltage starts to drop off the circuitry in the pack kills power to the drill to prevent total discharge. The circuitry also protects the packs from over-charging as well as over-heating.

My only complaint (which is actually part of the pack circuitry) is if the drill is put under heavy load in high speed the pack circuitry will sense overload and temporarily kill power to the drill. By heavy load I mean burying a bit, lag bolt, etc. to the point the drill comes to a complete stop. Once the drill is out of a bind power is restored. Of course this protects the drill/battery from damage.

Li-ion packs hold a charge for a long time and don't suffer from storage drain like other cell types. Of course they are also quite a bit lighter, but also more costly.

Comment

I have been using Makita Li-ion set: Recp saw, drill-driver, circ saw, and impact for two years and it has held up well. I would buy it again.
                              I recently picked up the 20v brushless dewalt impact and am truly impressed with the power.

I also recently purchased a Milwaukee drill driver. I like that their batteries allow you to know the state of charge in the battery.

Comment

Working...
                              X