X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Amp or 30 Amp Generator Transfer Switches, Power Cords, and Accessories

Been brainstorming on generator transfer switches, power cords, extension cords and anything associated with portable generator to house for backup power over the past couple of weeks since acquiring it. Here's the specifications:

RIDGID RD8000

Running Watts: 8,000 W
    Starting Watts: 10,000 W
    AC Voltage: 120 V / 240 V
    AC Frequency: 60 Hz
    Rated Amperage: 66.7 A / 33.3 A
    Engine: Subaru Commercial Grade EX40 OHC
    Max. HP: 14 Net HP*
    Discplacement: 404 cc
    Fuel Tank: 8 Gallons
    Run Time (@ 50% Load): 11 Hours

25 Ft - 20 Amp Removable Control Panel Cord

A lot of reading is in order on these transfer switches as well as the power cords and extension cords and all necessary accessories. It is overwhelming to say the least and in no way frijole am I an electrical engineer by any malleability of the imagination. What I want to know is, can I use/run a 50 Amp Transfer Switch and/or Power Cord/Extension Cord and all necessary accessories with this RIDGID RD8000 Portable Generator, or should I strictly use only the 30 Amp versions? Surely I don't want to burn down the house or kill anyone (myself included) by electrocution!

Please advise and Mahalo Nui Loa!

Re: 50 Amp or 30 Amp Generator Transfer Switches, Power Cords, and Accessories

Here are the generator transfer switches from Reliance Controls that I am looking into.

Reliance Controls 30 A Generator Transfer Switches

31410CRK

Q310A

Reliance Controls 50 A Generator Transfer Switches

51410C

Q510A

Once I've got it sorted out, then I'll be looking into hiring a local electrician for the install. Anyone here with experience on these Reliance Controls Generator Switches?

Comment

going larger will not hurt you any, but the cord plug most likely will not fit into the generator most likely as most likely it has a 30 amp twist lock receptacle, IF you do go with the 50 amp one may have to buy the 30 amp plug and put it on the cord,

about the only reason I see to go larger is if your in doubt if this generator will handle the loads and there may be a larger unit in the future,
      Last edited by BHD; 12-16-2012, 12:37 AM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
        going larger will not hurt you any, but the cord plug most likely will not fit into the generator most likely as most likely it has a 30 amp twist lock receptacle, IF you do go with the 50 amp one may have to buy the 30 amp plug and put it on the cord,

about the only reason I see to go larger is if your in doubt if this generator will handle the loads and there may be a larger unit in the future,
        Thanks! That's my reason for looking at the larger amperage thinking the extra amperage shouldn't hurt any for that just-in-case scenario right? Here's what the panel looks like.

Can a modification be done with a 50 A cord to work with the 30 A receptacle? Or are there any adapters for 50 A to 30 A that can be had such as the 30 A to 20 A adapter?

Comment

and adapter can be made but I do not know of any pre made unit, there may be, but I am not aware of them. or by taking thee 50 amp cord and put ing a 30 amp end on it,

(DO NOT PUT A 50 AMP END ON A 30 AMP CORD)

if it is not a molded on cord end one can swap it back in the future if needed,

the problem is all the cords and plugs and so on are not Cheap, Generator Cordsets + Generator Plugs | Generator Parts + Generator Accessories | Generators | Northern Tool + Equipment
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I have the 30 amp panel you listed (the one without the replaceable circuit breakers)

The feed to the panel is a remote power inlet. I dont think there is anything stopping you from getting the 50A panel and using a 30A inlet to feed it. The 50A kit probably wont be the right inlet but you can buy it separately.

I know the 30A version is rated for less than what the generator puts out, but I actually thought of that as a good thing.....even with everything lit up I cant technically overdraw the generator. It also leaves a little room for things plugged directly into the control panel itself. I think the only thing I would do differently is get the replaceable breaker version.

Comment

While I understand the desire to know this kind of stuff, wouldn't you be further ahead just calling an electrician and being assured that the challenge was taken care of safely? You mentioned it was challenging and "overwhelming".

I'm am a guy who likes to do things myself and I often think I'm fairly well versed in most home electrical situations, but then I also there are some things it's just best to let a "Pro" tackle.

I say this pretty much because I'm hopefully going to be in "your shoes" this coming year and a couple of months ago I had my favoriet electician run a 100-amp service out to my detached garage. While he was there, I asked the question regarding a generator and without blinking an eye, he spealed off of the quick list of what was needed/recommended, including the size, type, transfer box, etc., etc. Obviously this particular electrician has done all this before, several times. While I'd have to pay for a bit of labor, it certainly sounds like the best way to go... let the electrician do his thing!

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                While I understand the desire to know this kind of stuff, wouldn't you be further ahead just calling an electrician and being assured that the challenge was taken care of safely? You mentioned it was challenging and "overwhelming".

I'm am a guy who likes to do things myself and I often think I'm fairly well versed in most home electrical situations, but then I also there are some things it's just best to let a "Pro" tackle.

I say this pretty much because I'm hopefully going to be in "your shoes" this coming year and a couple of months ago I had my favoriet electician run a 100-amp service out to my detached garage. While he was there, I asked the question regarding a generator and without blinking an eye, he spealed off of the quick list of what was needed/recommended, including the size, type, transfer box, etc., etc. Obviously this particular electrician has done all this before, several times. While I'd have to pay for a bit of labor, it certainly sounds like the best way to go... let the electrician do his thing!

CWS
                I agree, this is beyond the scope of a diy'er Besides, permits need to be pulled and it needs to be inspected. I find code violations of most diy electrical projects.

Comment

skool....i installed a transfer switch similar to those 10 circuit transfer switches at home myself. it's not terribly difficult but if i had space for another 220v breaker in my breaker panel, i'd have used this kit instead:

Generator InterLock Kit

it is easier to install than a transfer switch, less expensive and allows for all house circuits to be accessed in a power outage. the downside is that care must be taken to not overload the generator.

the 240 plug on your genny under the rubber flap appears to be a 30A plug, so there doesn't appear to be any way that genny will produce a constant 50A of output. or am i missing something.
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I agree a whole house transfer switch has much greater flexibility over that of that individual breakers will allow, you can always unplug or shut off items that are not needed to keep your generator load managed, (for an example pump water and fill up what you need and then shut off the well pump, turn off electric hot water heaters, even if need the freezers can be alternated to once or twice a day for a few hours, we ran the farm for over 30 days on a 3500 watt generator by careful load management,

IMO either use the interlock system or a independent, stand alone whole house transfer switch, that would tie in between the meter and the breaker box, ( this type of transfer switch is two pole double throw switch, this transfer switch must be rated for the amp rating of the main panel it feeds,

the one nice thing about the original transfer switch system you or the next poster showed, showed was that at least one of them had what appeared to be amp/watt meters so one could easily monitor the load and the balance of it on the generator, but unless you have a lot of electrical heaters or large loads the 8000 watt unit should be able to run the house with out much problem,

either use the interlock system or a independent, stand alone whole house transfer switch, that would tie in between the meter and the breaker box, ( this type of transfer switch is two pole double throw switch, this transfer switch must be rated for the amp rating of the main panel it feeds,

Pictures are of a manual whole house switch,
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by BHD; 12-18-2012, 11:39 AM.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                    X