Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Ridgid 12" Miter Saw Discontinued?

I was looking to get a 12" compound miter saw for my father for Christmas but the display was gone in 2 stores yesterday and the sales people told me they thought there must be a new model coming. Online it says you can but it "online only." Anyone know what the deal is? I don't want to buy it if there was a problem or a better model for the same price next week. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Re: Is the Ridgid 12" Miter Saw Discontinued?

Buy him a DeWalt or a Makita, he'll be much happier with one of those anyways.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks for the honest advice. I had read reviews and knew that those 3 saws were in the same "class" but hadn't heard a reliable comparison. Do you have specific Dewalt and Makita models you would suggest? I think I have heard there are a couple Dewalt models--one was good and one not so good. Thanks!

Comment

Your other thread mentioned you are considering a slider and this one just asked about a CMS. If a slider is indeed what you want to buy your dad then I'd highly recommend the 10" Makita LS1016. It has the ability to cross cut almost as wide a board as many 12" saws do. I've has the Makita for a while now and am very pleased with every aspect of this saw. It's very accurate, holds the settings over time, is fairly lightweight for a slider and has a very smooth sliding mechanism. I have no personal experience with the Makita 12" slider so I can't speak to that one however I would "assume" it has the same qualities as the 10"er does.

Comment

Thank you, Dave! Yes, I was looking for a slider. How would you compare the Makita you have to the Dewalt DWS780, which is a 12 inch compound slider? The 10" Makita and the 12" Dewalt are about the same price so I think my decision is down to those 2 options. Thanks!

Comment

I'm sure that your dad would be very pleased with either one of those SCMS's. Have you put into the decision equation how he will be using the saw? If a lot of crown molding will be done then the DeWalt would probably be the better choice. If not, then the Makita has some advantages over the long run. Quality replacement blades for the Makita would be less expensive and possibly more readily available locally than a 12" blade might. A 10" blade will also have less tendency to flex under load than a 12" blade will. Quality wise I think both come out about even so that is probably a non-issue. Good luck with your decision but as I already said, I'm sure he will be happy with either.

Comment

Dave mentioned that his 10" is very accurate. That is the primary reason I prefer a 10" over a 12". I've owned several 12" CMS's and one 12" DeWalt slider. All of the 12" saws were "pretty accurate", but none of them were dead on for repeated cuts. If your dad is working with lots of molding or is building furniture, he's likely to appreciate the accuracy of a good 10" saw, if the capacity works for him. Dave's point about the prices of 10" blades shouldn't be taken lightly. I can get a variety of 10" blades for what a couple of 12" blades cost. Better yet, the 10" blades are reasonable enough to just go ahead and replace them when needed. I don't have to milk every minute of life out of them, like I did with the more expensive 12" blades.

This may not apply to your dad, but remember that a 12" slider weighs about 65 pounds. If he's working on a stationary stand in a shop, that's not a problem. If he's dragging it out of a truck at job sites, it can be a big problem.

By the way, I'm really impressed that you're considering a 12" sliding miter saw for your dad's Christmas present. If he EVER rubs you the wrong way, I'm prepared to adopt you, no questions asked.

-Dan

Comment

The Badger and Dan are right on the money! The 10" Makita with the four bar slider is well known for its accuracy and range of cuts. Have the 12" DW now but will go to the Makita 10" next time. (Also will keep an eye on the Bosch product).
                Big G

Comment

Working...
                X