R4512 table saw, blade heel/alignment problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4512 table saw, blade heel/alignment problems

I bought an R4512 table saw last month, and I could not get the blade to line up with the miter slot. It was off around 5/64 and that is as close as I was able to push it.

I called Ridgid and they told me to exchange or return it. I did and now my replacement saw is off even further "out of the box," but I have not loosened the trunnion to muscle it around yet. This one is off more than 1/8" in the same direction!

I would appreciate suggestions about how to get this thing squared up. I saw a post online with a bar clamp being used to pull the trunnion. I need a tougher bar clamp than the ones I own for that kind of abuse, but I will go to Home Depot and look for one tomorrow.

This is very frustrating because, obviously, it takes a long time to assemble this saw. I do not know how much room for adjustment there is supposed to be for the trunnion mounting holes. Would sure like to find that out, because if it is less than 1/16" each one and they aren't both completely pushed to opposite sides, I will not be able to fix it with any amount of force from a clamp, that's for sure. :/

Re: R4512 table saw, blade heel/alignment problems

hi jeffsw6 - you aren't going to like my answer. I had the same problem! I spent a lot of time putting it together but could not align it (didn't want to return it), same as you. I saw no other useful posts about this. The reason that I couldn't align mine was because the trunnion holes were mis-drilled. No matter how hard I pushed it wasn't going any further, clamps or not. The factory tooling is messed up, or just the process. It's just awful. Sorry, but the whole thing was upsetting having just bought what I thought was a decent saw.

Anyway, I had to take the whole thing apart and use a rat tail file to elongate the holes so that I could align the thing! I took romex and wrapped it around whole mechanism (up through the table) first to hold it in place. If you don't secure it and you loosen the trunnions too much there is nothing holding the motor. There might be an easier way, but I didn't have help and it's very heavy as you know. Anyway, upsetting as it was to have to do that, now it's in alignment and works fine. I hope that helps. I hope somebody from ridgid reads this and fixes it on the factory floor!

Comment

I called Ridgid and they said there should be <= 1/16" of play in the trunnion mounting holes. Since my saw is out over 1/8" I will not be able to square it without doing what you suggested and making the holes larger. They did offer to send me a new trunnion but that sounds like a lot of work.

I think I am going to return the saw and buy a different brand. I know it's just bad luck that I got two saws in a row with the same manufacturing error, but maybe that is a sign I should have treated myself to a more expensive saw.

Comment

Are you checking for alignment with the blade cranked up to its maximum height? If so, lower the blade a bit and measure alignment. Adjust as necessary. I found that my R4512 kept going out of alignment but ONLY when I did the last turn or 1/2 turn of the elevation knob. Once I kept the blade off max height (even a very slight amount), all was good even as I lowered the blade further.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffsw6 View Post
          I called Ridgid and they said there should be <= 1/16" of play in the trunnion mounting holes. Since my saw is out over 1/8" I will not be able to square it without doing what you suggested and making the holes larger. They did offer to send me a new trunnion but that sounds like a lot of work.

I think I am going to return the saw and buy a different brand. I know it's just bad luck that I got two saws in a row with the same manufacturing error, but maybe that is a sign I should have treated myself to a more expensive saw.
          I don't think it's bad luck. Your 2 and mine and who knows how many others are screwed up! They clearly have a tooling issue in the drill section of their shop.

I'm happy with it otherwise, but nobody should have to go through this with a new saw out of the box!

Comment

Originally posted by rebar View Post
            I don't think it's bad luck. Your 2 and mine and who knows how many others are screwed up!
            I kinda think that too, which is why I am not going to exchange it for a third one. It seems suspicious to me that the guy knew exactly what my problem was and quickly offered to send a new trunnion, and wasn't surprised I was on my second saw, yet he said he hadn't heard of many people having this problem. Something isn't right there.

wrj, if it is over 1/8" out of alignment with the blade fully-extended, and it went back into alignment by lowering it, that would be even worse. Then the plane of the blade would not be perpendicular to the table-top, which would mean it would require adjusting the trunnions anytime the blade height is changed.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffsw6 View Post
              wrj, if it is over 1/8" out of alignment with the blade fully-extended, and it went back into alignment by lowering it, that would be even worse. Then the plane of the blade would not be perpendicular to the table-top, which would mean it would require adjusting the trunnions anytime the blade height is changed.
              First, 1/8" off is crazy. But what I found with my saw is the blade is perfectly perpendicular to the table (I have a Wixley cube to measure) and is aligned within .005 of the table slot (measure with a dial indicator) throughout the height adjustment of my blade UNTIL I made the last fractional turn of the wheel to get to maximum height. Then the adjusts went out of whack. But no where near .125".

Comment

Yeah clearly my saw was not manufactured right. I am going to return it tomorrow. At least the wheel kit makes it very easy to put it in a trailer and take it back to the store.

Comment

Working...
                X