X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sawzall boggs down won't cut?

i have a sawzall and it is my first. It is pretty weak and when trying to cut chunks of hard oak to use in my smoker, it boggs down and won't cut very well. It is terrible. I thought it was the batteries so i bought new 18v from home depot. That didn't fix the problem so i bought new wood cutting milwalkee blades and that didn't work. It is simply b/c the ryobi nicad is just a poor quality product or am i expecting too much from this type of product? If it is simply the ryobi product, is there a ridgid or other product that will work for me? thx

Re: Sawzall boggs down won't cut?

A Ryobi reciprocating saw would not be my first choice but brushing that aside, have you tried using less arm strength when using it and let the blade do the work? Oak is considered a hardwood but really isn't that hard so you shouldn't be having that much trouble cutting it into chunks. Personally, I use my bandsaw to cut up chunks of wood for smoking, if you have one of those you might want to give that a try.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

A Ryobi recip saw is kinda poo, designed for the DIY homeowner. Sort of like a feel-good tool... Have you tried these?

Lowes has them too.

Porter Cable PC760R Pruning Reciprocation Saw Blade

~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

spend 50 and buy an electric chainsaw.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

should i say it?

ryobi makes a cordless version of that too. works ok for short jobs. i found one in the garbage and refurbished it.
          ~~

Comment

You may be guilty of what I and many others do sometimes, you will get inpatient and try to get done quicker, thus forcing the tool, rather than letting the tool do the work. Forcing usually results in an excessive amount of heat causing binding. Letting the tool do the work allows it to preform as designed. Only solution....Buy BIGGER!!

Ron

Comment

~~

Comment

The pruning blade mentioned by Plumber Punky is the answer. I use the "Ugly", which is essentially the same blade, and it's readily available. It is SERIOUSLY aggressive, but its ragged cut makes it suitable for pruning only. If you haven't tried it, I think you're going to be impressed.

-Dan

Comment

The battery operated reciprocating saw has a short stroke compared to the
                  big boy real sawzall [Milwaukee] Reciprocating saw types. This effects the cut and
                  efficiency of the cut.

The 18v saws are useful in tight areas cutting PVC, copper, galvanized but say slicing a 2x6
                  or demolition type work use they are worthless.
                  It's like using a steak knife instead of a pruning saw to cut a limb.

I believe you're cutting oak wood tree cut...not oak lumber....
                  Oak tree wood will be wet/high in moisture and that will also reduce the cutting ability
                  of these battery operated reciprocating saws.

Also as others here have mentioned forcing the tool will bog it down, make your wood smoke ,
                  and potentially ruin the saw blade and/or tool itself.

You may want to simply take the oak log [whatever] secure it in a vice and slice it with a chain saw
                  similar to making banana slices [cut them not thicker than say 3/4"].

Then you can use the 18v reciprocating saw to cut that slice into uniform type small chip
                  pieces for your smoker. A band saw could even work better.

Or if you're a Mythbusters fan you can do as they do..simply place some explosive in a
                  vertical slot along the log. After the dust clears just gather the pieces.

Be safe with your power tools and use them properly and for what they are designed to do!

Cactus Man

Comment

If the blade is binding then it does matter what make tool is driving the blade to me. More power might make a difference but wet wood is a PITA to cut. A coated blade might move a little easier through the wood and the pruning type blades would be designed for cutting wet/live wood so they are as has been said possibly a better choice. Other than that if you were NOT using this wood in your smoker then you might try a light lubricant but would be out in this case because of the intended use of the wood.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

BobD: >>you might try a light lubricant<<

Good advice. I use Oldham blade lubricant for PT cuts and sometimes on drill bits. But in the last few years, I've been using ChapStick. I saw a guy using it on a job, and he claimed that it made ripping pressure-treated lumber a lot easier. ChapStick is cheaper than Oldham, and I can get it anywhere. I'm really not "convinced" that it's as good as a blade lubricant, but it seems to make a difference. It also makes screws slide in more easily.

-Dan

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantaDan View Post
                        ... It also makes screws slide in more easily.
                        Carpenters/cabinet makers have been using beeswax to lube wood screws for well over 100 years. I learned it from my grandfather. When you're using a one wristpower screwdriver, it makes a HUGE difference.
                        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

For me, I simply don't have that much faith in using a battery-operated tool for such things.

I have the 2005 version of the Ridgid "corded" recip saw, and I'm fairly happy with it. I do use the proper blade for the application though. The "pruning" blade is a must for cutting tree limbs, etc. But even then, with the corded recip... it get pretty warm and I find myself having to stop and let the thing cool down after a few branch cuttings; even for relatively small 4-inch limbs of maple. I would think that "NiCads" would be a challenge, and Li-Ions almost worthless handling this kind of load.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantaDan View Post
                            BobD: >>you might try a light lubricant<<

Good advice. I use Oldham blade lubricant for PT cuts and sometimes on drill bits. But in the last few years, I've been using ChapStick. I saw a guy using it on a job, and he claimed that it made ripping pressure-treated lumber a lot easier. ChapStick is cheaper than Oldham, and I can get it anywhere. I'm really not "convinced" that it's as good as a blade lubricant, but it seems to make a difference. It also makes screws slide in more easily.

-Dan
                            Maybe, but as I said in this case he is burning the wood in a smoker so I wouldn't want to use anything that might act as an accelerator or would give the smoke a bad (or even toxic) flavor.
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            ---------
                            ---------

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
                              Carpenters/cabinet makers have been using beeswax to lube wood screws for well over 100 years. I learned it from my grandfather. When you're using a one wristpower screwdriver, it makes a HUGE difference.
                              Ivory or just about any other soap will work too.
                              ---------------
                              ---------------
                              ---------
                              ---------

Comment

Working...
                              X