X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4512 sheet goods keep binding

Even after aligning the knife several times and blade twice I can't keep the knife straight with fence or blade. As soon as a large sheet of plywood shifts it seems like the knife is moved out of alignment and sheet gets stuck, bad. Is there a way to prevent the knife from moving out of place or can I not run large sheet goods through my saw?

Re: R4512 sheet goods keep binding

Originally posted by LVRC.com View Post
    Even after aligning the knife several times and blade twice I can't keep the knife straight with fence or blade. As soon as a large sheet of plywood shifts it seems like the knife is moved out of alignment and sheet gets stuck, bad. Is there a way to prevent the knife from moving out of place or can I not run large sheet goods through my saw?
    I know its not the safe way of doing it but I remove knife and guards for ripping large materials.

Comment

After re reading your post, one things stands out to me. You say "As soon as a large sheet of plywood shifts", you have the problem. It should not be shifting. Do you have a Feed and Out Feed table to support the piece evenly from start to finish cut? Without this support, with the over hang, it is much harder to keep the large sheet good perfectly straight in the cut, thus causing the binding.

Again, this conclusion is only based on your quote.

Ron

Again,

Comment

I agree with lreops.

Ive cut sheet goods on my Ridgid 4511 and had the same issue. Without an infeed and/or outfeed table, the long piece just becomes a lever until you have enough of it supported. If the sheet is 4' long, shift it 1/8" of an inch where you are standing, and 4' away at the blade its like a mile.

Even a well placed roller stand could help a lot.

I dont have a lot of permanent room for my saw, so I use roller stands when I need it. Ive also just started cutting sheet goods down to *close* to where I need the pieces to be, then I finish off with the table saw (I do realize sometimes you need a piece *that long* thats still a problem on the table saw)

Comment

I had this issue until I built an out-feed table. My table is on casters so it could be moved when not in use. In fact, it can be used for multiple purposes. If you have no room for a separate table, I have seen extensions which fit to your saw and fold down when not in use.

Comment

Working...
          X