X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on bogging sawzall

I posted separately about a ryobi sawzall that boggs down and won't cut through hard dried oak for my smoker grill even when using a good milwalkee AX blade. Well, after reading your comments i went back to HD to look at better blades, including the Ugly Pruning blade, but also glanced at a few higher grade sawzall's. When the HD rep walked up to help w/ blades, I explained to him my situation which included buying a new set of batteries believing my power problem was related to weak batteries, buying two different sets of blades, etc. He said my biggest problem is the ryobi sawzall is simply too weak, i should bring it back and get a better one. I told him it was more than 2 yrs old and I didn't even have the receipt. He said it doesn't matter, it is our brand name product and it doesn't work properly for you. I was totally surprised by his position but he was pretty determined I should bring it back. He showed up a few min later and took me to the front counter and explained the situation to the returns desk and they said "no way", which is what i would expect. I told her that was fine, I didn't come here to return the unit, I don't even have it w/ me but the story is true, it has never performed to the intended purpose, etc. I began walking way, not disappointed in the least and she called out and said "hold on". She was on the phone, explained the situation and said the store mgr said it was fine, bring it back. That is very amazing to me, willing to take something back after 2+yrs given the circumstances.

The truth is, I very much doubt i will bring it back b/c I don't totally feel comfortable with it but equally, I only use it once a yr so upgrading to a quality unit will cost me $200 unless i go electric and it just isn't that important. I can buy a lg back of hickory from walmart for $5, this was as much about my suprise at how weak the unit was as anything but it sure is nice to see HD's commitment to their product.

Re: Update on bogging sawzall

Originally posted by tealboy1 View Post
    I posted separately about a ryobi sawzall that boggs down and won't cut through hard dried oak for my smoker grill even when using a good milwalkee AX blade. Well, after reading your comments i went back to HD to look at better blades, including the Ugly Pruning blade, but also glanced at a few higher grade sawzall's. When the HD rep walked up to help w/ blades, I explained to him my situation which included buying a new set of batteries believing my power problem was related to weak batteries, buying two different sets of blades, etc. He said my biggest problem is the ryobi sawzall is simply too weak, i should bring it back and get a better one. I told him it was more than 2 yrs old and I didn't even have the receipt. He said it doesn't matter, it is our brand name product and it doesn't work properly for you. I was totally surprised by his position but he was pretty determined I should bring it back. He showed up a few min later and took me to the front counter and explained the situation to the returns desk and they said "no way", which is what i would expect. I told her that was fine, I didn't come here to return the unit, I don't even have it w/ me but the story is true, it has never performed to the intended purpose, etc. I began walking way, not disappointed in the least and she called out and said "hold on". She was on the phone, explained the situation and said the store mgr said it was fine, bring it back. That is very amazing to me, willing to take something back after 2+yrs given the circumstances.

The truth is, I very much doubt i will bring it back b/c I don't totally feel comfortable with it but equally, I only use it once a yr so upgrading to a quality unit will cost me $200 unless i go electric and it just isn't that important. I can buy a lg back of hickory from walmart for $5, this was as much about my suprise at how weak the unit was as anything but it sure is nice to see HD's commitment to their product.
    that's great and if I were I would follow through and make the upgrade to a better tool. I wonder how much of this is HD and how much is the Milwaukee/Ridgid/Ryobi rep saying they will honor the exchange. It's easy for HD to say yes when they know upfront that the return will be taken by the mfgr's rep. Not saying HD is doing anything wrong now or before, but I know when I was young I worked part time in a department store and store policy was pretty strick on what we could accept on a return without approval from the vendor or their district rep.

Return it and get something better suited to your needs and don't feel guilty for doing so.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I agree, take it back and get a much better tool which shouldn't cost you anywhere near $200. I have this Milwaukee Sawzall which should easily handle cutting up those oak logs. With the credit you'll receive on the Ryobi saw you can probably get the Milwuakee for $40-$50 more. HD has a couple of Sawzalls in this price range so make sure you get this one as it has a longer cutting stroke than the other one by almost a 3/8".
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by tealboy1 View Post
        He said my biggest problem is the ryobi sawzall is simply too weak...
        Something is wrong with the saw.

I have a Ryobi cordless recip saw and can make it through six to eight 4X4 landscape timbers on a charge.
        Using the pruning blade, I can go out in the yard and prune 5" and smaller limbs 'till I'm ready to quit... and still have battery life.

Maybe I just got the only good one to come off the line.

For heavy duty cutting I have a Milwaukee 6521-21 Orbital Super Sawzall 11 amp (corded unit) with 1 1/4 stroke that I got used around six years ago when I still worked for Milwaukee. It has the counter balance system that makes it the smoothest operating, most vibration free saw I have ever used in its power class. I'm sure SOMETHING could stall it, but I haven't discovered it (yet).
        Last edited by Doctordeere; 12-23-2012, 11:36 AM.
        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

based on your seldom usage, i would take them up on the offer and credit it towards the corded milwaukee sawzall that's on special for $99-109. will work for you on anything and everything.

a cordless tool is only as good as the battery. in your case the battery doesn't get used and it won't hold a charge.

i hate to think how many batteries i have that are useless. probably pushing over 50. yet my corded tools work every time i plug them in.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            based on your seldom usage, i would take them up on the offer and credit it towards the corded milwaukee sawzall that's on special for $99-109. will work for you on anything and everything.

a cordless tool is only as good as the battery. in your case the battery doesn't get used and it won't hold a charge.

i hate to think how many batteries i have that are useless. probably pushing over 50. yet my corded tools work every time i plug them in.

rick.
            Agree. Cordless has its place but power hungry tools are better off corded AC powered units unless you have a real need to be cordless. Drills/drivers/impacts are great cordless tools. A cordless circ saw is nice at times but that is another power hungry tool like a recip saw is. Cordless hammer drills are probably ok for small stuff like 1/4 or 5/16 holes, but larger multiple holes in concrete like 3/8 drop-ins or 3/8 or 1/2 inch and bigger anchor bolts I prefer a Hilti, nothing else cuts it for me. I have a TE-17 i bought when Iwas just out of my apprenticeship, and it was a couple years old then (80), it's still going and not ready to quit and never been to the repair shop in all that time, but then the past 8 years it has not received daily use either.
            Last edited by Bob D.; 12-23-2012, 05:47 PM.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I dont know whether you guys get a special make of Milwaulkie tools but the cordless ones they dump on our shores are absolute crap. They are overpriced and hey, had Ryobi blitz them so thats saying something.
              For my way of working I invest in Hilti whereever possible. Have a Ni-Cad cordless sabre saw which is the best. Just found I need to have it serviced, blade coming out while working. So I rang to enquire about upgrading to new WSR 36-A which is the new version, 36volts Li-Ion batteries. Tool, 2 batteries, charger and case $1800 + 10% tax. Love to know what you guys would pay for similar. As an additional which unfortunately Hilti have found out, their blades were the best I have ever used and bought. Now they are turning to milwaulkie standard.

Comment

Working...
              X