r4512 blade oscillatioin ripping plywood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r4512 blade oscillatioin ripping plywood

I was ripping some 3/4" plywood into 12" widths and it seems like once the wood was into the riving knife the blade was sort of oscillating. Better if I went really slow, but I was really going slow, and it still wasn't perfect. This is using the original blade. Does this seem like a riving knife alignment issue or maybe this blade is on the thin side? The outcome is that it's not a clean cut.

thx for any ideas!
    rob

Re: r4512 blade oscillatioin ripping plywood

The blade that comes with the saw is complete junk. It will work in a pinch for doing small crosscuts but is totally useless for ripping. Buy a quality blade and you see a big difference.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

fyi, got a new Forrest WW10407125 Woodworker II 10-Inch 40 Tooth ATB .125 Kerf Saw Blade. I'm extremely happy with it. cutting wood is like a warm knife through butter! the ridgid blade was a thin kerf, I suspect that was part of the problem. Anyway, just wanted to report back to the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by rebar View Post
        fyi, got a new Forrest WW10407125 Woodworker II 10-Inch 40 Tooth ATB .125 Kerf Saw Blade. I'm extremely happy with it. cutting wood is like a warm knife through butter! the ridgid blade was a thin kerf, I suspect that was part of the problem. Anyway, just wanted to report back to the forum.
        A much better blade is all that's needed. A thin kerf blade will work much better on a lower powered saw like the ridgid. The kerf size has nothing to do with the quality of the cut.

Comment

Paarker - Are you saying that a better quality thin-kerf blade would not be expected to have this oscillation? Just curious. thx

Comment

that is correct. I use a Freud Diablo 1050x thin kerf combo blade, and it cuts plenty smooth. Also in a r4512. And it's thin kerf, meaning the saw doesn't have to work as hard to cut, which helps if you have to cut anything thicker.

Comment

Paarker - Are you saying that a better quality thin-kerf blade would not be expected to have this oscillation? Just curious. thx
              I only use thin kerf and have no problems. I can only hope you have the same outcome.

Comment

d_slat is using Freud Diablo 1050x thin kerf combo blade and is happy with it. Paarker, if you don't mind, it would be great to hear which blade you are using too.

Comment

d_slat is using Freud Diablo 1050x thin kerf combo blade and is happy with it. Paarker, if you don't mind, it would be great to hear which blade you are using too.
                  I use one of three Freud blades a24tooth rip blade a glue line rip blade and a 60 tooth cross cut blade. I also have a thin kerf woodworker 2 but don't use it that often.

Comment

The oscillation was likely due to poor quality, not the fact that it's thin kerf. It's true that a thin kerf blade is more prone to fluctuation than a full kerf if all else is equal, but that doesn't mean that the better TK's will flutter....that type of side effect was non-existent in my extensive use of good quality TK blades using flat lumber, clean sharp blades, and a well tuned saw.

A 1/8" full kerf blade is 33% wider than a 3/32" TK, and requires proportionately more power. Your saw's motor will work harder spinning a full kerf blade....it'll be most noticeable in thicker materials. Thin kerf is an excellent choice for saw under 3hp....stick with high quality blades, and a TK will work really well for you.

Tips for picking saw blades

Last edited by hewood; 01-26-2013, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X