X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RD8000 - Generator AVR Fails

Hello all. I have a RD8000 of many hours, and recently the power cord was melted and shorted while it was running against the muffler. I replaced the cord and the generator worked fine for awhile. Then the AVR blow, melted down completely. I replaced the AVR with a new one and that was working for about 2 hours, then there was another power drain ( generator bogged down ) and no more power output. I think the regulator is burned up again although no visual signs.

So what could be causing the AVR to continue to fail? Also could I replace the generator unit with a Generac model? I tried to get a new one but since I'm in CA this isn't an "approved" emissions model, and not sold retail anymore.

Thanks.

Re: RD8000 - Generator AVR Fails

probably would be best to take it to a repair center and have the unit diagnosed, it could be as simple as a loose wire. or it may be much more, but until you know

did you check the circuit breakers,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

That first total short probably damaged the stator windings, which, in turn, probably caused the subsequent failures.
      Could you please quantify "many hours"? Depending on the hour meter reading, it may be worthwhile to replace the gen head.
      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Last I noticed I think it had over 200 hours on it. The main panel doesn't light up otherwise I could run it for you to check.

Yes the breakers aren't tripped. I think the AVR went out again since that happened just before I replaced it.

I think you all are right, just call up and ask for a new head unit.

Thanks.

Comment

200 hours is fairly low... if the engine maintenance has been properly performed.
          The entire gen head (part number 310227022) is only around $270 + tax & freight direct from Gardner.
          Warranty is not an issue here since the unit is damaged as opposed to defective.

Comment

Thanks DrDeere I will call em tomorrow.

Comment

I'd first get a good DVM and check the unit thoroughly... I'd hate to replace the head just to find out the problem is in the panel wiring or something similar.

Comment

Thanks again DrDeere. I called up Ridgid parts and they can't sell me the head directly. Gardner says "can't sell" when I try to buy online. I think its a dealer only part and need to take the generator to nearest service center for that.

However, I think your right maybe there is some other issue I will pull out the 'control panel' and check for any shorts there before moving forward and elsewhere. Ill check the stator for any open coils.

Comment

One would think the breakers would have tripped to save the gen?? Was it running 120 or 240v supply at the time?

Comment

Right. When the power cord melted it tripped the breaker. After fixing the cord the generator would work but, it took about 10 or 15 minutes for the voltage regulator to kick in and power to be generated. I just kept using it. Finally it blew the voltage regulator fried it pretty bad. So I replaced it and it worked for about two hours. Now the engine runs but no power. I believe it burnt up the second voltage regulator but don't see any physical damage on it.

Comment

I checked some continuity between the hot leads and neutral on the back of the generator head. I took off all the wires there including the earth to neutral bonding wire. The hot (black) lead goes to the stator as does the neutral white wire. I read zero ohms between the two with all wires disconnected.

I also checked for any shorts past the generator head, but it was all clean. I also tried to call Gardner and order the generator head but looks like only dealers can order that part. Ridgid told me the same thing on the phone. Is my generator head bad?

Comment

Working...
                      X