Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any reason not to buy this Dewalt combo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any reason not to buy this Dewalt combo?

Some of you have seen my post regarding the frustration, limitation of the ryobi nicad sawzall i bought and it is bogging down and has short battery life. The suggestion was to get a better quality unit or use a different tool. You may recall, HD has surprisingly, and pleasingly, agreed to take the Ryobi back and apply a credit toward a better tool. I wasn't going to take them up on it but the more i think about it, I might. I found a relatively inexpensive dewalt sawzall for $119 at HD but it doesn't come w/ a battery or charger but HD has a Dewalt drill, two batteries and charger for $99 so it looks like i can get a good combo for $219.

The drill is as follows: I don't know the model of the dewalt sawzall. Anyway, it's still not inexpensive but the sawzall, battery and charger combo is $200 so doing it this way gets me an extra battery and a drill for only $20 more. Does this look like a good package?
    DEWALT 18-Volt 1/2 in. Compact Drill/Driver Kit

Model # DC970K-2

Re: Any reason not to buy this Dewalt combo?

Nothing wrong with Dewalt. But I would spend a little more money and upgrade to a lithium ion system.
    It's all in the batteries and the technology is improving. I prefer Milwaukee, but anything with the newer Li-ion
    batteries should suffice, especially if you use it on the job.

Comment

is there soem reason you're not looking at ridgid? that LSA covers the tools for repairs for life, INCLUDING batteries. and the program is now beiig administered through HDs that have tool rental counters. i don't know about you, but the idea of having to replace the kit or buy new batteries at some point is not as appealing as having the manufacturer on the hook for repairs or new batteries for as long as i own the tool.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

[QUOTE=FINER9998;389463]is there soem reason you're not looking at ridgid? that LSA covers the tools for repairs for life, INCLUDING batteries. and the program is now beiig administered through HDs that have tool rental counters.

Maybe i will take a look at the ridgid but i have little confidence in the battery plan. I see more frustrated and disgruntled people who seem to think they are covered only to find out they are not due to a registration or related technicality that I've really not given any consideration to the brand (even though i own a ridgid drill now). I'll take a look at them, did not know about the rental counter now handling.

Also, ridgid doesn't offer a sawzall only, no battery option so I can spend $200 for a ridgid sawzall, battery and charger or spend the same amt on dewalt or makita and get a drill too.
        Last edited by tealboy1; 12-28-2012, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Buy a corded model and it provide the power you are looking for

Ridgid has two 18v style reciprocating saws
          one model that looks like a sawzall
          and then the small hand held short stroke model

If you are adventurous go to Harbor freight and buy their corded model for 19 or 20 bucks
          cut your wood chips and if the saw dies not a significant investment.

Cactus Man

Comment

cactus, you are right, a corded might be good, i just keep thinking about the added advantage of portability. As an outdoorsman, the ability to take the saw for "limbing" is attractive and adds to the versatility so i keep going back and forth. I don't think i trust the harbor frt product, while cheap, i am confident it won't hold up.

Comment

i purchased both a corded dewalt sawzall and the dewalt cordless drill which came w/ 2 batteries and a charger, case for $99. appreciate the input from folks on the board

Comment

Originally posted by tealboy1 View Post
                cactus, you are right, a corded might be good, i just keep thinking about the added advantage of portability. As an outdoorsman, the ability to take the saw for "limbing" is attractive and adds to the versatility so i keep going back and forth. I don't think i trust the harbor frt product, while cheap, i am confident it won't hold up.
                Anything a cordless sawzall could cut you can do with a manual pruning saw pretty quick. Your batteries (meaning YOU) will last longer than any Li-Ion or Ni-Cad will, and there is a lifetime garantee.

Get a corded sawzall (my choice would be Milwaukee or RIDGID) and for those times when you might need to make a cut out in the middle of the woods use a pruning saw.
                Last edited by Bob D.; 01-01-2013, 08:42 AM.
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Get the x4 combo pack. Impact driver, hammer drill, sawzall,circ saw, light, 2 battaries and charger

Comment

Working...
                  X