X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a sign of a bad battery?

I purchased my ridgid 12 volt drill in dec 2003. I had the orig batteries replaced under warranty about 2-3 yrs ago so very good svc from originals. The replacement batteries are obviouly 2-3 yrs old at this pt and came from an authorized svc rep. I charged them this morning and they took a charge, up to 13.5 volts but later tried drilling 2 half inch holes by 3.5 inches deep and the batteries got warm and bogged down about 1/2 way thru the second hole. The voltage was good but drilling two holes is terrible so not sure what's up

Re: Is this a sign of a bad battery?

How long did they sit unused before you charged them up this morning? NiCad batteries don't appreciate being shelved for long periods of time.
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

they never really sit more than 2 weeks, perhaps 3 as i'm using finding a use for the drill around the house. I'm still puzzled by the strong voltage but the lack of power, just seems like they fall off the power curve way too quickly

Comment

That's how NiCads often fail. My old RC cars had NiCad packs. As they aged, discharge times dwindled down from 15 or so minutes to just a handful of seconds. Same with my Milwaukee NiCads. There are guides to be located by Google that demonstrate how to rejuvenate NiCad batteries with bursts of much higher than normal voltage. I tried that with a few RC packs, it worked on a few for a while, but not on most.
        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Working...
        X