X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you buy a ridgid drill again?

If you were back in the market, would you buy a new ridgid drill or would you buy a different brand? If ridgid, is the primary reason based on the LSA and the fact that batteries will fail and you can get them replaced for free or b/c you think it is a superior product? Really just kind of curious. I think it is a good product but i'm a homeowner, I don't really test tools to their full capacity but mine has been fine. I bought it orig b/c of the battery warranty but I just repurchased and went w/ dewalt but that's partly b/c the 2 battery kit was only $99 at HD.
    Last edited by tealboy1; 01-05-2013, 12:39 PM.

Re: Would you buy a ridgid drill again?

Never did ! I have MUCHO Makita 18 volt tools . I LOVE THEM , NEVER LET ME DOWN !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I'm also a homeowner, but with two houses and I do lots of renovation work as I move from to the other. I have the Ridgid 14.4 V drill, an 18-Volt Hammer Drill, and the compact 12-Volt lithium-Ion drill driver. I also have the old 9.6 volt pivot driver... which is not a drill.

Of these, the only one I wouldn't buy again is the compact Li-Ion. I'm not at all happy with the performance of this, or the JobMax. Battery performance sucks!

Originally, the 14.4 V drill had a wobbly chuck. It just wasn't mounted correctly and apparently that was a reported problem with many TTI-produced Ridgid drills, from time to time. However, it was an easy fix by my, local at the time, service center. Since then it has performed flawlessly and I'm very happy with. The 18-Volt Hammer Drill is only rarely used, as I grab the lighter 14.4 first. But both these drill perform excellently.

The previously mentioned "Pivot Driver" hasn't been on the market for quite some time now. For me, it is a really great tool. Plenty of torque, convenient in its size and I like the fact that I can use it as a straight driver or bent to an angle like a drill-driver. It has greater torque than the compact 12-volt, even though it is only 9.6.

All of these "liked" drills are Ni-Cads, and they are all in the 2004 and 2005 range of age; and, they still are performing well for me with the original batteries. So, Yes, I would buy them again.

CWS

Comment

my drill broke in half and both batteies fried out due to moisture Cant get eiter replaced they were a giftneer sent in paperwork. lifetim warrantee my *** they wont do **** screw ridgid

Comment

Originally posted by tonypope View Post
          my drill broke in half and both batteies fried out due to moisture Cant get eiter replaced they were a giftneer sent in paperwork. lifetim warrantee my *** they wont do **** screw ridgid
          Wow, your a bright bulb...

Yes I would. I have 8 ridgid drills, 3 impact drivers, one handed ricep-saw, 2 jigsaws, 4 circular saws, 3 coil screw guns, 3 sawzall type saws, and probably more that I'm forgetting. These are all cordless in the 18v or 18/24v maxselect variety. I have some of the older 14v and 12v tools but done use them anymore. I have 5 of the newer 12 compact drivers, I really liked them until I got the newer compact 18v drills with the hyper lithium batteries. The pre-hyper/lithium batteries are absolute junk.

I didnt buy them because of the LSA, I bought them because of price point and the first set I bought 10 years ago was darn near bullet proof.

I also own dozens of other corded ridgid tools. Even my own custom built 1/2" impact wrench that is a hybrid of a Milwaukee and ridgid since they dont make one.... hello ridgid, wake up!

Comment

I like all my Ridgid cordless tools, and if I was in the market for just a cordless drill, YES!
            I am disappointed that Ridgid has not expanded their cordless tool line to match other brands, so for that reason I would likely buy a Milwaukee kit.

Comment

How does one break a drill in half?
              electricity and water do not play well!!!
              How did you get moisture into your batteries?

Perhaps you should only be allowed manual powered tools only?

I have been a cordless Ridgid tool owner/user since early 2005.
              I use my tools properly, I care for my batteries properly, and I have
              not had any failures!

I volunteered to phase out my original Ni-cad batteries as they aged for the X4 lithium ion series

I chose to stick with one battery powered brand to only have to deal with one type of charger and battery.
              I have no regrets going with Ridgid tools

Cactus Man

Comment

Working...
              X