X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4512 - Miter guage gets stuck on return pass

I just tried cutting some dados for the first time on this saw. I can push the miter gauge + workpiece through the blade with no problem, but then when I pull the gauge+workpiece back through the blade (to move the workpiece over relative to the blades to make a wider dado), the miter slot "T" on the miter gauge gets caught on the back of the table (it is pushed all the way out the slot on the back, then it lifts up a little bit, not returning into the slot on the way back unless I really consciously push down). Does anyone else have this problem? I was thinking of clamping a little scrap piece over the slot in the back to see if it wouldn't guide the miter bar back into the miter slot - but is this necessary?

Thanks,

David

Re: R4512 - Miter guage gets stuck on return pass

First I hope you're stopping the blade before the "back" stroke. If the work-piece shifts even slightly before or during then you'll be exposing the uncut portion to the blade at a point of upward travel with no guards in place and that promotes a very dangerous kick-back. To prevent raising the forward end of the bar try focusing your grip on the miter gauge handle at the base with a slight forward tilting force like you're trying to rotate the end of the bar down through the table. This should keep the "T" more in line with the slot.

GCG
    I was always afraid of dying. Always. It was my fear that made me learn everything I could about my airplane and my emergency equipment, and kept me flying respectful of my machine and always alert in the cockpit.
    Chuck Yeager

Comment

gulfcoastguy - I was not stopping the blade between passes. I am making 6" mortises (6" dados on two boards then gluing them together), it would take a pretty long time if I had to stop the blade in between each pass with a half inch dado stack, no? Also, I see what you mean about trying to "tilt" the miter gauge/bar to keep it in the groove - I'll give that a try.

David

Comment

Just be very careful to not let the work shift right or left. If the back of the blade catches it on the return it'll toss it like a Frisbee ... probably at you. You need to ask yourself if the time saved is that valuable. Time lost at an Emergency Room would likely be longer. Also Morgue time (not out of the realm of possibility) is permanent.

GCG
        I was always afraid of dying. Always. It was my fear that made me learn everything I could about my airplane and my emergency equipment, and kept me flying respectful of my machine and always alert in the cockpit.
        Chuck Yeager

Comment

Please read.

Safety Survey - NewWoodworker.com LLC

GCG
          Chuck Yeager

Comment

Working...
          X