Ryobi lithium batteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryobi lithium batteries

I know this is the Ridgid site, but I also assume that some here have had experience with Ryobi tools.

I have several of the larger Ryobi, 18-volt lithium batteries, and recently two of them went bad on me. Neither will hold a charge for more than a short while, and one will not charge up past the yellow power-level point at all. I have tried charging overnight, but still could not get them to work. I have two others that are working fine, plus one of the smaller ones that also works fine. The two that have failed had been sitting in reserve for several months (I like to rotate the pairs), and it was after that rest period that they would not respond to charging. I have been using this rest and recharge technique for several years with both pairs and each time things worked just fine. Not this time, though.

I decided to open them up for a look before taking them to the recycle center. (You need a pair of special torx screwdriver tips to do this.) In one of them, two of the ten cells were leaking, with obvious deterioration. In the other four of the ten cells were in the same deteriorated condition. All other cells looked OK. This is a pretty bad failure rate for cells installed in batteries that cost ninety bucks apiece.

Anybody else here had similar failure experiences?

Howard Ferstler

Re: Ryobi lithium batteries

I have two of the full size Ryobi lithiums and they do not work the way they should. Lithiums are supposed to take a charge regardless of the discharge state, mine will only charge if they are fully discharged. If I do not fully discharge or in other words really run them down, they will charge for a few minutes and shut down. I would not buy more Ryobi anything in the future. I just wait until the red indicator seems to go on after minimal use and them run them down in a tool until the tool won't operate. You were lucky they worked well for a few years.

Comment

I think one could come up with poor battery stories about any brand. And you will
      have no trouble finding them on this forum regarding RIDGID batteries. There are
      many factors that enter into battery performance over time. Storage and usage
      conditions, recharge habits, etc. We all know these factors no doubt and probably
      don't realize how much influence they have on battery performance. There have been
      reports on here of RIDGID batteries that have died after a year or two, how is that any
      different other than the color of the battery and they cost more than the Ryobi battery?
      The profits end up in the same place...TTI/OWT.

Does RIDGID have a battery conditioner/charger like the Ryobi 6 port that is designed
      to maintain their Ni-Cad and Li-Ion 18v batteries? That charger is designed to have
      the batteries left in it and it automatically monitors battery condition and maintains their
      charge.
      The Intelliport™ Technology is EnergyStar® efficient, maximizes battery life
      and charges batteries only when necessary. This is the first charger where it
      is recommended to leave your batteries on the charger without damaging the cells.
      Name:  fbbaa738e42a16f900ccd9b808260d2f.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  22.6 KB

Why is there no equivaland charger for RIDGID batteries, or any other manufacturer's batteries?
      I wonder if its because the Ryobi batteries are so bad that they need to offer this as a solution or
      if there is another reason. I don't know the answers just asking questions. I was given one of the
      Ryobi SuperChargers for Christmas last year (2011) by my kids. I have a couple Ryobi 18V tools
      and the charger has worked very well for me. I have 2 of the older Ni-Cads and 2 Li-Ion batteries
      that I have had for over two years. The Ni-Cads are getting long in the tooth but they are close to
      6 years old now. They don't last as long when in use but still offer some usable time so I have not
      sent them to the recycle bin just yet.

I also have 3 RIDGID 18v Li-Ion batteries which I have had for about a year now. I will be interested
      to see how they hold up over time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNxMzACCXGk
      Last edited by Bob D.; 01-13-2013, 05:43 AM.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

As Bob said, battery failures happen with all brands - or at least with the 3 brands that I own. I've owned a total of 6 of the Ryobi lithium batteries, four of the big ones and two compact batteries. The four big ones were purchased about 4 years ago, and have been pushed hard. Only one of them failed, and that was after 3 years and it was 100% my fault that it failed.

I do like the Intelliport chargers much more than their predecessors for several reasons. The Intelliports are "conditioning" chargers like DeWalt's. You can put a battery into the charger, regardless of its state of discharge, and the charger will bring it up to ready and then stop charging (maintenance mode). The charger will also accept a hot or cold battery, allow the battery to sit until it reaches the proper charging temperature, and then begin the charge cycle.

One final plus with the Intelliport is its ability to charge some (not all) of my old ni-cads that the ni-cad charger refuses to charge anymore. I have several of those old batteries that I had retired. I took a chance and stuck one on the Intelliport charger, and it took a full charge and its original shelf life is back. I've been doing that with several of my ni-cads ever since. I have friends who argue that my claims are ridiculous, but I've seen it happen over and over.
        Last edited by AtlantaDan; 01-14-2013, 09:44 AM.

Comment

If you have a dead Nicad you can zap them to life again using an arc welder or car starter. Here's one video on how it's done You can search YouTube with the phrase Fixing a Nicad battery and more videos will show up on how to do it.

I've done it, it works. I've gotten about 6 more months of life out of my dead ones with this technique.

Comment

One final plus with the Intelliport is its ability to charge some (not all)
            of my old ni-cads that the ni-cad charger refuses to charge anymore. I have
            several of those old batteries that I had retired. I took a chance and stuck
            one on the Intelliport charger, and it took a full charge and its original shelf
            life is back. I've been doing that with several of my ni-cads ever since. I
            have friends who argue that my claims are ridiculous, but I've seen it happen
            over and over.
            I found the same thing with my two old ni-cads, though one had now decided it has taken
            its last charge. i was able to get another year out of it using the intelliport charger though.
            That battery is over 6 years old, so I don't feel bad about losing it.

Comment

My Ridgid batteries suck too. I had 9 die at once! Stupid batteries!

We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

They didn't die, they were murdered.

You said so in another post.

But murder is probably not completely correct, as you did not intend to
                kill them, it just happend because of something you did that you couldn't
                forsee the consequences of your actions.

Comment

Involuntary manslaughter is more appropriate.

Comment

Working...
                  X