X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 amp jig saw

Just wondering if i made a mistake in getting the ridgid 3 amp barrel body jig saw.3 amps is the smallest out there ,even the cheapest model has 4.5 and the more expensive ones go up to 6.5.this is the top of the line model for ridgid .

Re: 3 amp jig saw

Use good quality, sharp blades. I would trade an extra amp of current for a really good blade any day. Additionally, the extra amperage doesn't always translate proportionately into more power. Design-efficiency is an important factor too. For example, I have a Hilti drill that is significantly more powerful than my other drills that draw about the same current.

By the way, many of the Home Depots in my area have lots of Bosch jigsaw blades on clearance for as little as $1 for a 4-pack. And as I sidebar, I tried those blades that Lowe's carries (Spyder?) that are double sided. I really like them. You can get a blade for cutting wood, on one side of the blade, and metal on the other side of the blade. There are also blades for wood alone, and they have 2 different teeth configurations.

Dan

Comment

Hope you didn't spend more than this $19 3.2A beauty from the pros at Harbor Freight :

~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

The little bit I,ve used the saw seems to be fine,actually I love the saw.You make a good point about amps vs power but how can you tell how powerful a tool might be by just looking at a display. I,ve used 13 amp saws, circular and table ,and there was a noticable difference compared to 15 amp ones.

Comment

1 HP is 746 Watts, So 373 Watts/120VAC, the current is 3.1 AMPS

I really do not see how one could really use any more power or really be able to use more power on a jig saw, If it is a true 1/2 horse power motor,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Jersey Guy: "I,ve used 13 amp saws, circular and table ,and there was a noticable difference compared to 15 amp ones."

With single-direction saws, there is a more direct relationship between power consumed and power delivered. But with reciprocating-blade saws, there are other factors. I believe that engineering/design plays a role with these saws, and I think that's evident even with saws of similar specs.

Let me offer an admittedly flawed analogy. The Ford Focus XT and the BMW 528i have the same number of cylinders and approximately the same horsepower. But the performance specs are very different.

In my humble opinion the 13-amp circular saw that you mentioned, outfitted with a high-quality blade, will out perform a 15-amp saw with a poor quality blade. My only point is that there are several variables to consider when evaluating tool performance, and I'm a big believer in the importance of the "consumables".

Dan

Comment

Working...
            X