Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powermatic PM28000B 18" or Delta 17" 17-959L drillpress?

Powermatic has a new dp out, and I have been wanting to replace my 30 year old Craftsman for a while now.

I like the variable speed and a keyless chuck (I think), and some of the other features on this new drillpress. But then there are features of the Delta I like too. I am curious if a keyless chuck is good or bad on a drillpress. I like it on my portable tools, but not sure how it will work with larger bits used with a dp.

I like variable speed for not having to deal with changing belts.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 01-29-2013, 07:35 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Powermatic PM28000B 18" or Delta 17" 17-959L drillpress?

I prefer a keyed chuck in a drill press. There is less chance of the bit slipping in the chuck and putting a burr on the bits shank. Variable speed would also be great to have. I'm just to lazy to look it up tonight so which one has the variable speed feature?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I feel the same about a keyed chuck Dave, but then I have never used a keyless chuck in a drillprees, so I can't really compare.

The Powermatic has variable speed with a digital readout, you adjust the speed while its running. The Delta is 12 speed belt with stepped pulleys as has been the standard for ever it seems.

Oh, i got one too many zeros in the PM model, should be PM2800B I believe.

At $1300 the PM2800B is a high dollar dp. I think the Delte is around $600. The PM is a true 1hp motor and can be wired for 220v.

I pike the two-way tilt on the Delta dp table, and the extension wongs on the PM machine. If pnly I could put all those good features in one dp, that would be great.
      Last edited by Bob D.; 01-29-2013, 09:35 PM.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      ---------
      ---------

Comment

most drill press of any quality will have a mortise taper spindle and one can put in different chucks for different needs or even put in bits directly in to the spindle

there are key less chucks and there nice for smaller bits or situations where you are changing a number of bits for some kind of step operation or using a locating pin and then swapping out a bit, and then having the key chuck is nice for heaver, and even one can put in over sized chuck that can deal with large shank bits or tools,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Yes, the PM2800B has a #2 Morse taper so it can be changed out easily. Not sure about the Delta.
          ---------------
          ---------------
          ---------
          ---------

Comment

I was in the not so local Woodcraft store today. They have the previous model PM2800 DP on display. They also have the Delta. I looked at both tables and its a toss up. As I said before they both have good features just need to put them all together. The Delta has a replaceable center that uses a 4" square of 1/2" MDF with leveling screws, the PM has a thin plastic ring about 3" in diameter. The base of the Delta looks heavier and is about 10 inches wider than the PM base which I would think would make it more stable for those who don't anchor their DP to the floor. The Delta table tilts forward about 50 deg. as well as left/right, the PM table has no forward tilt unfortunately.

The PM2800 had a $1000 sticker on it, the Delta I don't remember but I believe it was around $650 or 700.

Both had motors made in china on them.
            ---------------
            ---------------
            ---------
            ---------

Comment

Working...
            X