X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4512 Table Saw and Dado Blade Sets

Has anyone successfully mounted an 8-inch dado set on the 4512 table saw? If so, HOW?? The riving knife prohibits making a full pass over the blades. Does it need to be removed? If so, HOW??

Re: 4512 Table Saw and Dado Blade Sets

I don't own that particular table saw but I'd guess that the riving knive needs to be removed. The procedure for doing that is almost certainly covered in your Owners Manual. Even though you didn't ask and forgive me for assuming but unless you plan on doing very deep dados you should at least look into getting a 6" dado set. Its much lighter weight will be appreciated by your motor and you'll still be able to achieve 1ΒΌ" deep dados.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I use a 6" stack dado with my R4512 and remove my riving knife when I use it. Simply remove blade insert and there is a lever with an orange tip. Rotate that up. It takes some force. Pull out the knife and install your dado.

Comment

Per the saw spec's it can take up to an 8" dado set. I use a 6" on mine. Pages 42 and 43 of the manual explain how to set it up.
        Last edited by me5269; 01-31-2013, 03:52 PM.
        Mike

Comment

Per the manual (recommended reading for devices that can amputate):
          • Remove the throat plate.
          • Raise the saw blade by turning the height adjusting handwheel clockwise.
          • Unlock the release lever by pulling it up.
          • Push the riving knife down until it is below the saw blade.
          • Lock the release lever by pushing the lever down.
          • Reinstall the throat plate
          Last edited by hewood; 01-30-2013, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all of your quick responses, however questions remain. WRJ - do you pull the riving knife completely free of the saw? How much force do you use or is there some sort of 'trick' to it I'm missing. On page 43 of the manual it says, "Remove the ..... and spreader/riving knife" but doesn't say exactly how. Hewood - thanks for your response, however in the down position the riving knife still rides above an 8" dado set, preventing a complete pass over the blades, and putting the locking lever back down prohibits installation of the stack.
            Finally, me5269 - unfortunately I'm stuck with an 8" set (purchased before all the good advice offered here)

Comment

Raise the locking lever and pull the riving knife out. Leave the lever unlocked because it will hit the dado set if it is locked. I have this saw and have used my 8 inch dado set on it lots of times.
              SSG, U.S. Army
              Retired
              K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

As WRJ said, move the lever up, Grab the top of the riving knife, move it to the right and it should pull up and off (you may have to wiggle it a bit). It's the same way you would change it from the UP to DOWN or DOWN to UP positions (there are 2 sets of holes in the knife that fit on pins in the clamp). Hope this helps.
                Mike

EDIT, see page 26, it shows pic and how to move it from down to up, etc
                Last edited by me5269; 01-31-2013, 03:57 PM.
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by ChazzM View Post
                  Thanks for all of your quick responses, however questions remain. WRJ - do you pull the riving knife completely free of the saw? How much force do you use or is there some sort of 'trick' to it I'm missing. On page 43 of the manual it says, "Remove the ..... and spreader/riving knife" but doesn't say exactly how. Hewood - thanks for your response, however in the down position the riving knife still rides above an 8" dado set, preventing a complete pass over the blades, and putting the locking lever back down prohibits installation of the stack.
                  Finally, me5269 - unfortunately I'm stuck with an 8" set (purchased before all the good advice offered here)
                  The other guys answered but yes, take the riving knife out of the saw and put it aside. Look at it this way, the riving knife keeps the cut halves from closing up on the blade as you cut through stock. But with a dado cut, you are not cutting entirely through the work piece. The riving knife couldn't get through the dado cut.

Also, I'm not sure of the exact force required to pivot the orange tipped lever, but, if I recall properly, it took quite a bit of effort to raise it the first time. There is no trick. Just pivot it upward using force. Once up, remove the riving knife as mentioned and leave the lever up and out of the way so the dado blades can fit.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks to EVERYONE for weighing in on this - I have successfully extracted the riving knife! I knew it served no purpose in a dado setup, but didn't want to apply too much force in getting it out of the way. The Ridgid is a recent purchase, and a step up (a BIG step) from a 25 year old, direct drive Craftsman. Contrary to some others' experiences I've heard, mine was 'true' in every regard right out of the box - and I didn't want to break or screw anything up! BTW, been doing woodworking as a hobby for 30 years - and still have all my fingers! Thanks again to each of you for your responses.

Comment

Working...
                    X