Would you say these are good tools?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you say these are good tools?

Only thing I have found that I really like the 3.0 batteries for is drilling anything with a hole saw or when making alot of cuts with the circular saw, other than that, the little ones work just fine and are less strain on the forearm!

Comment

Even though it does have the small batteries, if you are just a weekend warrior you can't go wrong with this kit. If you are more than a weekend warrior most likely you will end up with an x4 kit or other rigid tools anyway which will solve your battery problems.

I have the option of using the bigger batteries so I do it. That's not to say the kit is not a good kit because it has the smaller batteries. I can go all day on the one big battery where as I might have to switch one of the smaller batteries out if I'm heavily using the tools throughout the day.

Also the batteries charge so quickly that you probably wouldn't be left standing around with out a battery very often anyway.

No hobbyist here. My guys torture tools.

Only thing I have found that I really like the 3.0 batteries for is drilling anything with a hole saw or when making alot of cuts with the circular saw, other than that, the little ones work just fine and are less strain on the forearm!

Weight is always a consideration as long as the tool can do the job at hand.

Comment

I'm not sure about the tools shown in the op's post, but the X4 set is being sold for $199 now. I'm expecting to buy a set in the next few days. I wish the charger wasn't so big but that's not a deal breaker.

Like a couple of other posters here I own a 14.4 drill that I bought in 2005. It's been repaired a few times and I think I'm on my third set of batteries but I've never had a problem with the lsa. It does take 3 weeks or so turn around time but as long as I have a backup it's acceptable.

I'm wondering which other 18v tools I'm going to want. The sawzall looks like a winner but the smaller single handed sawzall might be better since I carry a Milwaukee sawzall in the truck already. I end up using a flashlight a lot but the 18v light looks more like a work light. Is there a way to make it operate like a flashlight with a directed beam or is there an 18v flashlight instead of work light?

Another question.... Am I right in assuming that the lithium ion batts won't work in any older ridgid ni-cad tools?
        Last edited by LocalHero; 03-24-2013, 10:58 PM.

Comment

i believe that's incorrect. the match of tool and battery voltage is more important than whether the electricity storage medium is nicad or LI. also, that 2 pc. kit is $179 ion teh southern westchester county market of NY.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
            i believe that's incorrect. the match of tool and battery voltage is more important than whether the electricity storage medium is nicad or LI. also, that 2 pc. kit is $179 ion teh southern westchester county market of NY.
            You're right... if I make Yonkers my store it's $20 cheaper. I guess southern money is less valuable?

I was planning on using a lowes or Harbor freight coupon to get HD to drop the price some but I'm not sure they'll price match another HD store AND honor competitors coupons.

As for the batts, I guess they would both work as they're the same voltage but is the connection mechanism the same? I can ask or even test this if I get to a store but if anyone knows for sure, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks,
            John

Comment

Did you see this for $199?

Comment

No. The set in the original post.

Comment

If you are a weekend warrior who might want a cordless grinder, or some cordless to such as offered by the other big brands, then unfortunately the Ridgid set is not the way to go. The Ridgid set is actually better for the person who has a wider range of cordless tools and does not care if he buys a brand he cannot expand as a spare.
                  Last edited by Frankiarmz; 03-25-2013, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                    I am really happy with the X4 platform. My dad also has the same kit. Just to add legitimacy to my review I did buy my power tools from HD... at retail prices. I have both the larger batteries as well as the 1.5 ah. 2 of each. The smaller batteries are noticeably shorter on capacity but still far better than past generations. I can work for 3 hrs driving 3" deck screws into pine on one of the big batteries.

New batteries work great with my 1st generation combo kit as well.
                    Josh, are you saying the x4 lithium ion batts work with all other 18v ridgid tools? This is the question I was asking above.

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                      Did you see this for $199?
                      That radio looks awesome. The one I have is mostly orange.

Comment

Originally posted by LocalHero View Post
                        No. The set in the original post.
                        i know im saying this one is online for the same $199, with the radio

Comment

Originally posted by Supermanofsteel View Post
                          That radio looks awesome. The one I have is mostly orange.
                          love my radio!! Think its same but darker plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                            i know im saying this one is online for the same $199, with the radio
                            Now I see what you're saying... only it says "out of stock" online and all the stores near me say "item not sold at this store".

Comment

Now I see what you're saying... only it says "out of stock" online and all the stores near me say "item not sold at this store".
                              it will be available soon prob, usually happens that way with new products till they catch up.

Comment

Josh, are you saying the x4 lithium ion batts work with all other 18v ridgid tools? This is the question I was asking above.
                                all 18 volt bats work in all 18 volt tools

Comment

Working...
                                X