Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Would you say these are good tools? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Would you say these are good tools?




    RIDGID 18-Volt X4 Hyper Lithium Ion Drill Driver and Impact Driver 2-Pieces Combo Kit

  • #2
    Re: Would you say these are good tools?

    The idea yes. Based upon the horror stories of the LSA and poor customer service? No, wrong color, wrong company.
    ~~

    ... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Would you say these are good tools?

      I have the 14.4V non-ION version of that set and have been very satisfied with their performance for a number of years now. Of course, I also don't have any LSA or poor customer service horror stories either.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Would you say these are good tools?

        Last year I bought the 5 piece set at a significant savings because it was a display model. They told me it was not eligible for the LSA bit it was a real good deal so I went for it. No problems yet but it hasn't been that long. The tools perform well except for the problem that most have had with the led not shutting off on the impact driver. I have to remove the battery to shut it off but I don't leave the batteries in when not being used so not too big a deal.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Would you say these are good tools?

          Love all My 18 volt Makita .
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Would you say these are good tools?

            I own these, I think they are great tools. I find the 1.5ah batteries a bit small for those tools though. I got mine in an X4 Kit which came with the bigger batteries and when ever I try using the smaller batteries from my other kits they get drained pretty fast. I don't think it's a knock against that kit, it's just the nature of those two drivers, they require a lot of juice.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Would you say these are good tools?

              Yes. I believe they are good tools. I used to have the Ryobi battery tools...junk. Batteries kept wearing out and wouldn't accept a charge. Junked them and got into Ridgid. More expensive but I believe well worth it. I have these two drills with extra batteries, bought another used one online, bought a used jigsaw and circ saw which will work with the batteries. I also bought a new electric Ridgid chop saw. All are reliable, powerful and sturdy. My son, a theatre carpenter tech bought the full 5 piece set for his work. He uses them hard and after several months both drills had issues. The impact drill bearings were damaged and the regular drill had a chuck issue. We took them to a Home Depot for them to send in to Ridgid for the LSA repair. It took 6 weeks instead of the estimated 3 but he got them back repaired and working well. At this point I wouldn't consider anything else.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Would you say these are good tools?

                Originally posted by tbiggs View Post
                Yes. I believe they are good tools. I used to have the Ryobi battery tools...junk. Batteries kept wearing out and wouldn't accept a charge. Junked them and got into Ridgid. More expensive but I believe well worth it. I have these two drills with extra batteries, bought another used one online, bought a used jigsaw and circ saw which will work with the batteries. I also bought a new electric Ridgid chop saw. All are reliable, powerful and sturdy. My son, a theatre carpenter tech bought the full 5 piece set for his work. He uses them hard and after several months both drills had issues. The impact drill bearings were damaged and the regular drill had a chuck issue. We took them to a Home Depot for them to send in to Ridgid for the LSA repair. It took 6 weeks instead of the estimated 3 but he got them back repaired and working well. At this point I wouldn't consider anything else.
                Sorry Ridgid .Makata 18 volt rocks ! NEVER a problem
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Would you say these are good tools?

                  As Badger Dave mentioned, I too also have the 14.4-Volt version of those tools. I have been delighted with them and they offer all the power I have needed. IIRC, I bought these at about the same time as Badger Dave, which I believe was 2005. In any case, those NiCad batteries are still working very well, in spite of some long-term storage. No problem with the tools, no problem with the batteries and charger, and absolutely no problems with the warranty, LSA, and the local service centers.

                  (With the two service centers I have had to use, the turn-around has been good, but they are both now gone from the "authorized" list. They were used once to repair a Ryobi router [bad housing], and a Ridgid sander [failed hub spring].)

                  CWS
                  Last edited by CWSmith; 02-08-2013, 12:25 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Would you say these are good tools?

                    I am really happy with the X4 platform. My dad also has the same kit. Just to add legitimacy to my review I did buy my power tools from HD... at retail prices. I have both the larger batteries as well as the 1.5 ah. 2 of each. The smaller batteries are noticeably shorter on capacity but still far better than past generations. I can work for 3 hrs driving 3" deck screws into pine on one of the big batteries.

                    New batteries work great with my 1st generation combo kit as well.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Would you say these are good tools?

                      I have the same thing in Makita. Bought them next door at the Pawn Shop. I've had them about 6 -8 months and I love them. I have never had a drill motor that accepted all 1/4" bits. It's really handy, then if you want to drill a hole in wood or blast through a concrete wall the hammer drill with the chuck takes care of that. Great combo. I'm sure the Ridgid stuff is just as good.
                      Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Would you say these are good tools?

                        Originally posted by Josh View Post
                        I am really happy with the X4 platform. My dad also has the same kit. Just to add legitimacy to my review I did buy my power tools from HD... at retail prices. I have both the larger batteries as well as the 1.5 ah. 2 of each. The smaller batteries are noticeably shorter on capacity but still far better than past generations. I can work for 3 hrs driving 3" deck screws into pine on one of the big batteries.

                        New batteries work great with my 1st generation combo kit as well.

                        Are the batteries shown in the picture the larger or the smaller ones?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Would you say these are good tools?

                          Originally posted by Plumbus View Post

                          Are the batteries shown in the picture the larger or the smaller ones?
                          Smaller.

                          Between my brothers, my dad and myself we have 6-7 of these kits, been great. I dropped one of the drivers 15' on to concrete and still works (small crack in the base)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Would you say these are good tools?

                            Sounds like the big batteries are the way to go. Too bad, the kit pictured is on sale for $200.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Would you say these are good tools?

                              Even though it does have the small batteries, if you are just a weekend warrior you can't go wrong with this kit. If you are more than a weekend warrior most likely you will end up with an x4 kit or other rigid tools anyway which will solve your battery problems.

                              I have the option of using the bigger batteries so I do it. That's not to say the kit is not a good kit because it has the smaller batteries. I can go all day on the one big battery where as I might have to switch one of the smaller batteries out if I'm heavily using the tools throughout the day.

                              Also the batteries charge so quickly that you probably wouldn't be left standing around with out a battery very often anyway.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X