X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifetime warranty???/

How can you get the lifetime warranty if it was a gift? I drive a semi, deliver to Home Depot, and cannot get the warranty because the tools were purchased 4 months before I received them as a gift. They no longer have the receipt because it faded then was thrown away or just lost. Now I have tools that only have the 3 year warranty and that may not even hold up.
    Any sugestions????

Re: Lifetime warranty???/

I would just thank the gifter for the great present and be done with it. It certainly isn't the fault of Ridgid/TTI that the tools were not registered properly and in a timely manner. Circumstances out of the norm happen and sometimes exceptions can be made but they don't have to be. You could call Ridgid Customer Service and explain, in a polite manner, what happened. They may make an exception if for example a duplicate receipt can be procurred from HD. If the purchase was made with a HD credit card that should be easy enough to do. Good luck.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Without the receipt there is no way to prove where the tools came from. Perhaps if the pervious person paid with debit or cc they can give you the date of the purchase. Maybe Home Depot could print you another receipt for the three year warranty. As for the LSA, I can't see them giving you that as there is no proof as to where the tools came from, ebay, kijiji your friend etc. That coupled with the fact your past the registration date cut-off, I think you have no chance at LSA.

What kit do you have?

Comment

You local HD might if you explain the situation and have the original box might be willing to let you return it and rebuy the set with the store credit from the return. Then you would have a receipt with a valid date. Also like the other poster mentioned customer support could fix the issue.

Comment

This is why I buy Lowes/Kobalt products. They have a no questions asked, no receipt needed, no hassle warranty. The more I read about the LSA on this site the more I'm glad I don't have hand tools from this company.
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Punky, I think that maybe you're mixing up your apples and oranges here. If by hand tools you're talking about non-electrical hand tools then Ridge Tools(RIDGID) plumbing hand tools are not covered by the LSA and never were. The plumbing hand tools, pipe wrenches, etc are made by and warranteed by Ridge Tool Co while the electric/battery powered hand tools and stationary power tools are made, sold and warranteed by TTI/OWT. The LSA is a program offered by TTI/OWT and is in no way a part of any Ridge Tool Co service program. Hand tools manufactured by the Ridge Tool Co carry a lifetime warranty against mfg. defects. So if you have a pipe wrench for instance where the handle breaks in two you can take it to an Authorized Ridge Tool Dealer and with no questions asked, no receipt required and no hassle receive a brand new handle. Wearable parts such as the jaws are not replaced for free.

I will be the first to admit that the whole relationship between Ridge Tool Co and TTI/OWT and the Lifetime Service Agreement, Lifetime Warranty, and 3 Year Warranty that are offered by these companies are very confusing. The average Joe off the street doesn't even know that "RIDGID" is a single Trademark but it's being used by two different companies! Ridge Tool Co and their parent corporation Emerson really fouled up terribly when they setup their relationship with TTI/OWT. Of course, that is JMHO.

Comment

I consider a hand tool to be anything not permanently mounted, such as a drill press, table saw, etc. Portable electric tools I consider to be hand tools. Anything that is blue with the Kobalt logo whether it be a screwdriver or circular saw is covered by Lowes no hassle warranty.

I wasnt aware that TTI/OWT was different from Ridgid corp. That aside, it's still no excuse for crappy customer treatment and service. If it says 'Ridgid' on the side people should expect the same quality service whether or not the service is supplied by an outside source.
              ~~

Comment

Well that makes two of us that weren't aware of something the other was talking about. There is not a Lowes where I live so I've never even been inside one. I was under the impression that the Kobalt line was strickly a line of metal hand tools, i.e. screwdriver, pliers, hammers, ets. I didn't know that Kobalt also has other tools that are battery and electricly powered. If all the warranty and service issues are handled right there in the Lowes store then they are indeed way ahead in the customer service game. One question though, how do they know that a tool that has a problem is still under the warranty coverage if they don't require a copy of or the original receipt when the tool is brought into the store?

Comment

All of the Kobalt tools I have ever purchased have a written 'no hassle' lifetime warranty (either on paper or packaging). I would assume that since it is 'lifetime' they dont require the receipt. I would also assume that any plainly obvious abuse of the tool would void any warranty BUT I did would with a guy who hung on the recip saw until the handle broke off. He was given a new tool. All of the Lowes branded tools have the warranty handled in-house.

As a side note, I had a Dewalt circular saw with a 3 year warranty that died recently. I purchased a magnesium framed Kobalt circ saw because I needed it right away. The new saw is half the weight, twice the power, and less expensive.
                  ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                    All of the Kobalt tools I have ever purchased have a written 'no hassle' lifetime warranty (either on paper or packaging). I would assume that since it is 'lifetime' they dont require the receipt. I would also assume that any plainly obvious abuse of the tool would void any warranty BUT I did would with a guy who hung on the recip saw until the handle broke off. He was given a new tool. All of the Lowes branded tools have the warranty handled in-house.

As a side note, I had a Dewalt circular saw with a 3 year warranty that died recently. I purchased a magnesium framed Kobalt circ saw because I needed it right away. The new saw is half the weight, twice the power, and less expensive.

What are you talking about. I just went to the lowes website and pulled up a 4piece tool kit. The description says three years on the battery and 5 on the tools?

Kobalt 4-Tool 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Combo Kit - Lowe's Canada

In the section that says overview... ( you can click the link for all of the specs but I condensed it for the sake of shortening it down)

Overview

• Drill/driver
                    • Circular saw
                    • Reciprocating saw
                    • LED work lightindicates battery status including countdown timer
                    • Battery Voltage: 18
                    • Battery Warranty: 3-year
                    • Package Contents: Drill/driver, circular saw, reciprocating saw, LED work light, 1 18v compact lithium-ion battery, 1 18v extended run lithium-ion battery and lithium-ion/nicd charger
                    • Tool Warranty: 5-year

Since the circular saw in the kit is 5 years I figured you maybe meant a corded circular saw.

Under the warranty description for that it states.
                    5-year hassle-free guarantee
                    Last edited by Supermanofsteel; 02-08-2013, 10:10 PM.

Comment

No, I wasnt talking about a cordless kit. I have a porter cable kit that i plan on retiring in a year or so. Cordless kits never last long with me. My first was dewalt, then black and decker, then porter cable. They take a beating in work trucks where I live. More from wide ranges in temps and humidity than anything else.

I checked my corded saw's manual and it says lifetime warranty. The website says '5 year' so I'm not sure what to say about that.

My point was really more about the service and treatment of customers by the company rather than the length of any warranty. I wouldnt care if all of the tools put out by lowes, home depot, menards, etc had limited warranties as long as the customer service when it was needed was impeccable.
                      ~~

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                        Well that makes two of us that weren't aware of something the other was talking about. There is not a Lowes where I live so I've never even been inside one. I was under the impression that the Kobalt line was strickly a line of metal hand tools, i.e. screwdriver, pliers, hammers, ets. I didn't know that Kobalt also has other tools that are battery and electricly powered. If all the warranty and service issues are handled right there in the Lowes store then they are indeed way ahead in the customer service game. One question though, how do they know that a tool that has a problem is still under the warranty coverage if they don't require a copy of or the original receipt when the tool is brought into the store?
                        I've checked out the Kobalt line of tools before I purchased Ridgid. To be honest I liked the look of them but in reality they are just a house brand no better than Ryobi, MasterCraft Maximum, Hausseman etc in terms of performance, pricing etc. That's not to say they are not good for what you pay but in all seriousness they definatly are not the same caliber tool as Ridgid, Dewalt, Milwaukee and Makita.

Comment

No, I wasnt talking about a cordless kit. I have a porter cable kit that i plan on retiring in a year or so. Cordless kits never last long with me. My first was dewalt, then black and decker, then porter cable. They take a beating in work trucks where I live. More from wide ranges in temps and humidity than anything else.

I checked my corded saw's manual and it says lifetime warranty. The website says '5 year' so I'm not sure what to say about that.

My point was really more about the service and treatment of customers by the company rather than the length of any warranty. I wouldnt care if all of the tools put out by lowes, home depot, menards, etc had limited warranties as long as the customer service when it was needed was impeccable.
                          You should check out Masterbeavis's post where he left his batteries in the back of his truck lol you want to see abuse. https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t42812/

I understand what your saying. I also agree with you in regards to making sure you have good customer service. Personally I don't find the process confusing. It is a little cumbersome but I feel the end result is worth the effort of making sure I register everything and follow through making sure everything is registered correctly. This also includes being prepared in case of a hic-up with a back up copy of my store receipt and a scan of every thing I sent in for LSA.

In all fairness I've had issues with tool's I've purchased but I've yet to experience one of these horror stories posted by some of these guys who have one or two postings under their belt. Most of the complaints they have are in reality not Ridgid specific. Many brands require you to bring the tool to a service centre, or will have a delay on repairing the product etc.

Problem is everyone wants everything now, no one wants to wait anymore. Couple this with the same consumer who wants more and more while at the same time wanting to pay less and less and it's inevitable there will be conflict. Usually cost are controlled at the back end, this included not carrying extra stock just in case a problem occurs. Can you imagine how many units a store would have to hold onto in order to be able to have an instant turn around on tool repair? The holding cost would be astronomical so the only solution is to order it on an as needed basis and this is what creates delays.

So I ask you, who's really at fault, the customer having unrealistic expectations or the company who is trying to satisfy a customer base while also trying to stay profitable?

Comment

I've had one or two get killed by water before. Usually in some sort of sewage filled pit. I would agree with you that at some point in time all companies, services, and products have some excessive amounts of failures. Hopefully each company remedies the problems.

While the problems may not be Ridgid specific, as the name is on the side of the tool it will reflect poorly on the corporation. People won't say 'I wont get another tool with a TTI/OWT warranty'. They will say ' I wont buy another Ridgid tool'.

Unfortunately, when your more durable tools break and you need one 'right damn now' to finish the job, less expensive and more convenient options are there (such as Kobalt, Ryobi, etc.) Also, usually a company or business does not have the luxury to wait weeks or months for a repair. I dont think that the customer having to wait weeks, having the stress of even getting a warranty replacement, and downtime is a reasonable expectation. Why can't they say 'OK mr. customer, you have a broken tool. We will ship you a new one from the warehouse. Included with your new tool is a return shipment tag for free shipping. place the old tool in the box and send it back. please supply your credit card so if you dont send the old one back we can charge you for the new one. your other option is to send it in and the wait time may be weeks." ? Many other companies do this and it keeps the customers happy. Keeping them happy keeps the profits.
                            ~~

Comment

I've had one or two get killed by water before. Usually in some sort of sewage filled pit. I would agree with you that at some point in time all companies, services, and products have some excessive amounts of failures. Hopefully each company remedies the problems.

While the problems may not be Ridgid specific, as the name is on the side of the tool it will reflect poorly on the corporation. People won't say 'I wont get another tool with a TTI/OWT warranty'. They will say ' I wont buy another Ridgid tool'.

Unfortunately, when your more durable tools break and you need one 'right damn now' to finish the job, less expensive and more convenient options are there (such as Kobalt, Ryobi, etc.) Also, usually a company or business does not have the luxury to wait weeks or months for a repair. I dont think that the customer having to wait weeks, having the stress of even getting a warranty replacement, and downtime is a reasonable expectation. Why can't they say 'OK mr. customer, you have a broken tool. We will ship you a new one from the warehouse. Included with your new tool is a return shipment tag for free shipping. place the old tool in the box and send it back. please supply your credit card so if you dont send the old one back we can charge you for the new one. your other option is to send it in and the wait time may be weeks." ? Many other companies do this and it keeps the customers happy. Keeping them happy keeps the profits.

In theory that sounds like a great solution but in practice I just don't think it would work. To many people would take advantage and send in tools that are broken because of neglect etc. Sure they have the cc number but all the customer has to do is dispute the charge and the credit card company will reverse the charges and ding the company another $20 for their troubles. The solution you purpose relies to much on honesty and sadly their are to many people who just aren't honest.

Besides, why should a company be expected to completely replace a tool with a brand new one instead of having the opportunity to repair the tool? A replacement switch may cost them a couple dollars where as a complete replacement may cost them $30 to $40. What if the company no longer has the X2 line, does this mean the customer automatically gets upgraded? Where would the incentive be for the customer to pay to upgrade to the new line of tools? All they would have to do is work the crap out of their tool until it collapsed and they would be rewarded with a brand new X4 version where as their old version was an X2 as an example.

Shipping both ways would probably average $12 each way. How do you expect the company to keep any profits if they are paying $20 to $30 in shipping each time there is a return? Don't forget this cost is in addition to the cost of the replacement tool as well.

Also the LSA is an agreement with the original purchaser. The reason for this I would suspect is to limit liability on warranty work for the tools. This no hassle, no receipt or traceability you mentioned at lowes is just bad business. Sure it makes the customer happier but there is no accountability or controls in place to minimize runaway liability cost. Again what incentive is their for people to purchase new tools from the company if you could just buy used and get brand new replacements? A set of tools could be out there for 10 years, passed around to 20 people and all of them covered under the same warranty. Granted it works for wrenches and sockets but the markup on those is more than enough to replace the tools 50 times over where as the markup on power tools I can't see being anywhere near enough to cover the cost of replacing the whole kit even once.

I don't know too many companies who survive with one set of tools which are required for work. If my company drilled holes all day and my paycheque depended on drilling holes, personally I'd have a replacement on hand 24/7. There would be no stress about waiting for a replacement, part of my proactive business plan would be having options just in case one of my tools go down. Whether that's a second set of tools, a friend I can rely on, or rental options if the tool is just too expensive to purchase twice, something would already be figured out ahead of time for those just in case moments.

On a side note, how have you liked the Kobalt line of tools? Performance wise etc? Is it just the circular saw you own or do you own any cordless drills etc as well?

Comment

Working...
                              X