X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid x5 coming?

This link is interesting.

Ridgid “X5″ 18V Cordless Tools – Evidence and Predictions | ToolGuyd

But so is this guys comment after the article!

Jason says:
    February 7, 2013 at 10:19 am
    The only problem with rigid cordless is for some reason they will not release a full line of cordless tools with their battery platform.

Re: Ridgid x5 coming?

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
    This link is interesting.

Ridgid “X5″ 18V Cordless Tools – Evidence and Predictions | ToolGuyd

But so is this guys comment after the article!

Jason says:
    February 7, 2013 at 10:19 am
    The only problem with rigid cordless is for some reason they will not release a full line of cordless tools with their battery platform.
    Jason was just commenting on the obvious like the rest of us. Great battery platform, attractive LSA, well established consumer base and yet for some lame reason a refusal to sell a competitive line of cordless tools?

Comment

I don't see them producing a replacement line for the X4 line up just yet. If the idea is to release an X5 line up in the near future then I have a feeling it will be a separate technology, like the brushless motors etc as stated in the article and not a straight up replacement to the X4. With that said, I don't see them releasing a brushless system anytime soon because the technology is still fairly expensive and the cost to consumer would make them less desirable to your average handyman, home owner etc. And with the limited number of tools available for the battery platform, I don't see to many larger companies switching from what they currently use to the Ridgid platform. I just don't see the incentive for a new release anytime soon.

I personally think the X4 Line up is too relevant to be replaced just yet anyway. If anything I see evidence that Ridgid is still implementing the new designs and technology implemented in the X4 series into their other tools. The jobmax 18v system as an example and many of their kit tools have taken on the updated look and feel of the X4 design.

I think just because they tried to register the X5 line for use in the future doesn't mean we will be seeing a new line of tools to replace the X4 line in a year or even two years from now. Consider for a moment what goes into tool development. They would have to get new molds made for each new tool, new advertising, build a stock pile of product and then have a release date. If they start now they could be ready in a few18 to 24 months but even then, the changes would have to be significant enough to entice people away from the X4 line up into the new line up.

On a side not, I have been getting a few surveys from ridgid in the past few months about new tools, and what I would like to see etc... so who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Supermanofsteel View Post
        I don't see them producing a replacement line for the X4 line up just yet. If the idea is to release an X5 line up in the near future then I have a feeling it will be a separate technology, like the brushless motors etc as stated in the article and not a straight up replacement to the X4. With that said, I don't see them releasing a brushless system anytime soon because the technology is still fairly expensive and the cost to consumer would make them less desirable to your average handyman, home owner etc. And with the limited number of tools available for the battery platform, I don't see to many larger companies switching from what they currently use to the Ridgid platform. I just don't see the incentive for a new release anytime soon.

I personally think the X4 Line up is too relevant to be replaced just yet anyway. If anything I see evidence that Ridgid is still implementing the new designs and technology implemented in the X4 series into their other tools. The jobmax 18v system as an example and many of their kit tools have taken on the updated look and feel of the X4 design.

I think just because they tried to register the X5 line for use in the future doesn't mean we will be seeing a new line of tools to replace the X4 line in a year or even two years from now. Consider for a moment what goes into tool development. They would have to get new molds made for each new tool, new advertising, build a stock pile of product and then have a release date. If they start now they could be ready in a few18 to 24 months but even then, the changes would have to be significant enough to entice people away from the X4 line up into the new line up.

On a side not, I have been getting a few surveys from ridgid in the past few months about new tools, and what I would like to see etc... so who knows.
        Just curious what your response to Ridgid was regarding tools you would like to see? Would you like a full line such as milwaukee, bosch, dewalt and the rest, or specialty tools? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          Just curious what your response to Ridgid was regarding tools you would like to see? Would you like a full line such as milwaukee, bosch, dewalt and the rest, or specialty tools? Thanks
          I got 2 surveys in the last couple years, one about jobmax heads, one about nail guns and hoses

Comment

I got one on an X4 light, what I like about it, what I would change, what features I would use. They asked what type of lights I use. i suggest a better 360 degree flood light for basements using the same battery platform. The X3 florescent spiral was good for that but the new X4 doesn't swivel up like the X3 and the X4 only does 180 degrees at a time.

I got a survey about all sorts of tools once, bunch of question on what I though about the X4 line up. What tools I would like to see or would use. I suggested a cordless grinder, another cordless jigsaw (they had one before but no longer sell it) and a cordless vacuum.

I like Milwaukee, they have an amazing line up of M12 tools. I own a few and they are just great for under cabinet and tight space work. Also the selection is huge, I own an inspection camera, hammer drill, impact driver and a right angle drill, all of which use the same M12 battery platform.

To be honest, if Ridgid had more 12V tools I'd probably would have went ridgid for the small stuff but all they have is a compact drill and a flash light. Sure the jobmax is also 12v but I already own the 18v version so I probably wouldn't get the smaller version.

I think Ridgid has made an effort to add more tools to there offering with the jobmax but I would like to see some stand alone tools as well.

What about you, what tools would you like to see added?

Comment

I have discussed Ridgid offering tool for tool with such brands as DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch and even Ryobi. I like my Ridgid 18volt tools and having one battery platform makes life easier. I also like the LSA. Personally I not only use my tools for repairs and light fabricating around the house, but also for some auto repair work. I am sure guys like myself who currently own Ridgid 18volt tools would gladly add a heavy duty 1/2 inch impact wrench such as offered by the other manufacturers and a grinder which could accomodate cutoff wheels.
              The thought of adding yet another brand battery and charger has prevented me from purchasing these tools, but if Ridgid offered them as stand alones or even in a limited kit with their hyper lithium battery I would make the purchase. Frank

Comment

I have discussed Ridgid offering tool for tool with such brands as DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch and even Ryobi. I like my Ridgid 18volt tools and having one battery platform makes life easier. I also like the LSA. Personally I not only use my tools for repairs and light fabricating around the house, but also for some auto repair work. I am sure guys like myself who currently own Ridgid 18volt tools would gladly add a heavy duty 1/2 inch impact wrench such as offered by the other manufacturers and a grinder which could accomodate cutoff wheels.
                The thought of adding yet another brand battery and charger has prevented me from purchasing these tools, but if Ridgid offered them as stand alones or even in a limited kit with their hyper lithium battery I would make the purchase. Frank
                Yeah the 1/2" impact would be awesome.

You know AEG offers a cordless grinder already. From what I can tell it's the same tool as Ridgid. Why don't they just get that one included to their licensing agreement and put one out?

The Radio and Impact clearly show the tools are the same as the Ridgid Branded tools so why can't they also get the grinder? I also came across the hammer drill. If they had that one I'd probably get one of those as well.
                Name:  6235f5c6689ab84e0955158b10d7e27a.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  155.0 KBName:  d3376d4baa0a212b3ad038e01269edb2.jpg
Size:  32.4 KBName:  5219926c06b00b9175168b2945160f9c.jpg
Size:  64.0 KB

Look at these two, they are identical.

Name:  0a8449bc75c8079516ec6ae27192dbc6.jpg
Size:  41.0 KBClick image for larger version

Name:	dafc6854058b343e63d3678fa12b6cd7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	17203
                Last edited by Supermanofsteel; 02-13-2013, 01:16 PM.

Comment

That AEG grinder is new... which is very promising, but then again the demo hammer has been around for a couple years and they still haven't brought it state side....

Comment

I emailed my thoughts to Ridgid and received a nice reply. They did not confirm any intentions for new tools. My bottom line is that I'm a consumer, and I use tools. Whatever is driving Ridgid to hold back on a full line of cordless tools is not of my concern, I just want to have more useful cordless tools and only one style battery.

Comment

my official prediction is we will finally have a cordless grinder

Comment

I won't be investing in any more Ridgid cordless tools unless I see several offered such as mentioned previously. Just imagine how many potential buyers are choosing between brands and deciding to go with one that already offers a grinder, heavy duty impact and so on? If a grinder is really all you need for now then it would be great if Ridgid offers one, but I need more than just a grinder.

Comment

I won't be investing in any more Ridgid cordless tools unless I see several offered such as mentioned previously. Just imagine how many potential buyers are choosing between brands and deciding to go with one that already offers a grinder, heavy duty impact and so on? If a grinder is really all you need for now then it would be great if Ridgid offers one, but I need more than just a grinder.
                          I agree, EVERY Other company has those tools, even the house company for Menards, craftsman, Ryobi, porter cable, kolbalt, that is seriously sad!

Comment

just for the record i called the cordless grinder on feb 13 of this year!!

Comment

just for the record i called the cordless grinder on feb 13 of this year!!
                              Okay, how many more years before the heavy duty 1/2" impact?

Comment

Working...
                              X