X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal shards in plunge router base

Any ideas about what to do with small metal flakes in router base? I used a magnet to get most out but causing a plunge broblem.

Re: Metal shards in plunge router base

I guess I don't understand totally, as I wonder where the "small metal flakes" are coming from... especially if you can pull some of them out with a magnet. The router base is magnesium, is it not? (At least that was the case with the earlier versions.) This is the first report of anything like this, so I'm wondering what and where exactly these are or where they come from.

Or, do you mean that they are inside the spring housings, as that's the only place I can think of that steel (broken spring?) might be found.

In any case, if they are in the spring housing, you should be able to pull or turn the plugs out of that and then use something to clean them out (like maybe a makeshift bore cleaning rod). Maybe if you could supply a picture or two, we might be able to offer some better advice.

Good luck,

CWS

Comment

You have been very helpful CW. Yes they are in where the springs are. I did not try using it since realizing the flakes. Got a bunch out. Any recommendations on some bore cleaning device?

Comment

Originally posted by cwenbass View Post
        Any recommendations on some bore cleaning device?
        gun cleaning kit, on gun cleaning there are brushes,
        bottle brush,
        cut a dowel dowel the end, and put a small rag in the slot and if needed, some solvent, and put in and rotate,
        air compressore blow gun, (where safey glasses), use a long nozzel and put clear up in the bore,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I think you should call CS and find out what they think this could be.

There should not be anything flaking off from any part of the router
          even after a couple years of normal use.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cwenbass View Post
            You have been very helpful CW. Yes they are in where the springs are. I did not try using it since realizing the flakes. Got a bunch out. Any recommendations on some bore cleaning device?
            BHD and Bob D covered my thoughts on getting the metal flakes out of those tubes, although I might add that you could use an adapter nozzle on your vac. (I have a couple of nozzles that I purchased ($12 the last time I looked) for use with small detail stuff like keyboards, etc.

I just looked at my plunge base (R2920) and I see the gray plastic caps simple screw out of the top and the springs assembly, consisting of a plastic plunge rod, steel spring, and clear plastic tube, can just be pulled out. Once that is done, you can easily see down into the two tube columns... all that's left in mine is some light oil.

While I haven't done it, it also looks like the plunge part of the housing can be removed by simply taking the two nuts off the threaded rod (which limits the travel). Not sure if it is really that simple, but it looks that way. I don't have the manual readily at hand, so I don't know if those two guide columns are press fitted into the base, or whether they screw into the base. But if you can't clean the debris out of the tubes with a brush and/or a vacuum nozzle, you might look at the manual for further detail. IF you do find that the guide tubes screw into the base, and decide to attempt to unscrew them, try a strap wrench or other similar device so as not to mar the outside surface... which would interfere with the smooth operation of the plunge action.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

The other night, I took my plunge base apart, quite easy really. BUT! you can't take the tubes off of the base, the base assembly w/tubes are fixed and not serviceable beyond that. The upper plunge assembly can be removed however (previously mentioned) and the plastic plugs in the base tubes easily are unscrewed and the spring assemblies removed (again, previously mentioned).

So, cleaning any debris from that area should be rather easy.

CWS

Comment

Working...
              X