X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power tool safety

Just watched idiot Tony Stewart using a 4" grinder with no safety glasses, no guard on grinder, and gloves. Do that at work and you would have three strikes all at once and be outside looking in. What was he thinking. What if he got something in his eye, had to go to the hospital to have it removed, and couldn't drive, where would they be then? He should stick to driving and leave the mechanical work to the pit crew.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Power tool safety

He wasn't thinking. He doesn't know. He is TOLD what to do, unlike the rest of intelligent America. He is a figure-head for money making.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I guess tony and I have something in common

I did get a piece of cast iron in my eye just before I got married, 9 years ago. Waited 3 days before I went to the hospital.

Er dr. Had me hold the magnifier glass while he picked it out with a needle

I now wear safety glasses

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

My Dad once got a sheet metal sliver in his eye. He was typical of so many guys, I think he went several days, if not weeks in pain. I only remember that his eye look terrible (I was in high school back then). Apparently it had flown from his using a shear cutter or something. At the time he was in heating and plumbing and made up all of his own duct work.

Years later when he was working for the Union he used to beef about some of the rules, but he followed them. As a steamfitter, he worked on the nuclear facility down in the Johnstown, PA area. He thought it was ridiculous that every single task had to have three qualified guys present. Told me it took them over a week to run pipe from one of the water tanks, simply because he could never find two other guys to be there at the same time.

He did tell me that most sites were totally unforgiving. Some new guy showing up without all of his safety equipment (like glasses or a hard hat) and they would be warned the first time, sent home for the day the second time, and fired the third time. I thought that was how it should be.

In my Ingersoll-Rand plant I'd see the same people flaunt the rules all the time and nothing ever happen to them. Over in shipping, which was adjacent to our office, we had a guy who had lost an eye. Yet he refused to wear safety glasses. He'd be over there running the saw or using a nailer to fasten boxes and NO safety glasses. Sadly, the union protected him, or so I was told. I know that he was laid off some years later, along with a number of other workers, but his rules violations had little to do with that.

CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 02-24-2013, 07:15 PM.

Comment

I saw that too and couldn't believe it. Not a smart move for someone who depends on his eyesight to make a living. I guess when you're the boss you can do dumb things like that and don't need to worry about getting fired. Wanna bet he hears about it from OSHA?
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I'm happy to see the discussion of saftey now and then. Those of us who have worked with power tools and around machinery for years don't have any excuse to work unsafe. Sharing our horror stories may rub off on the young who think they are bullet proof. What always amazed me is how fast things can go wrong, that split second when you are drawn into an accident and think to yourself "Why didn't I do this or that differently?". There is no do over, no going back! Take a few seconds to put on the safety glasses or goggles, wear the right gloves, shoes, helmet! Let some other guy be the one telling horror stories of how he lost something, or got hurt. Frank

Comment

This thread reminds me of when i was about 26 years old. I was working as an IT guy in a small company. It was summer, the windows were open. The neighborhood was affluent and, with the warm weather, many contractors were busy. I could hear the sounds of a power saw turning on and off as I was working. Then, just like any other time, it turned on and off... but then all all i could hear was "OH MY GOD i CUT MY FINGER OFF!!" then sirens...
              ~~

Comment

CWS, From your post, I don't think your dad worked for the union. I would gather from the post he belonged to a union and worked for a contractor building that plant. The union did not pay him, I'll bet.

Comment

Back in new construction days, had an apprentice plumber nailing blocks for the closet bend support. Hand nailing and the 16p nail jumped back and poked him in the eye. Ended up blinded in that eye.

Who actually wears safety glasses while swinging a hammer?

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    Just watched idiot Tony Stewart using a 4" grinder with no safety glasses, no guard on grinder, and gloves. Do that at work and you would have three strikes all at once and be outside looking in. What was he thinking. What if he got something in his eye, had to go to the hospital to have it removed, and couldn't drive, where would they be then? He should stick to driving and leave the mechanical work to the pit crew.
                    I aslo have been guility of this.But,most of the time I remember to use safety glasses/gloves and most of the time the guard.

Comment

Rick, freak accidents will happen because we can't prepare for every possibility. We need to take what precautions we can within reason. Reminds me of keeping my daughters safe while still allowing them to experience life. When I was a kid you rode a bicycle or rollerskates without a helmet, elbow guards, knee guards, wrist guards. Nowadays these kids look like they are part of the bomb squad, and they are still at risk! The real fun kicks in when your children and their friends start driving.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        Rick, freak accidents will happen because we can't prepare for every possibility. We need to take what precautions we can within reason. Reminds me of keeping my daughters safe while still allowing them to experience life. When I was a kid you rode a bicycle or rollerskates without a helmet, elbow guards, knee guards, wrist guards. Nowadays these kids look like they are part of the bomb squad, and they are still at risk! The real fun kicks in when your children and their friends start driving.
                        You learn quick how much we old people(old folks as we used to say) don't know.By the way, if you don't think you are old ask a baby,old folks might tell you different.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                          ahhhh...the days of metal-wheeled roller skates that strapped to your shoes.
                          ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                            ahhhh...the days of metal-wheeled roller skates that strapped to your shoes.
                            I would pay an extra $.25 or $.50 cents for the big metal ears that would fit on the front of those rollerstakes. That high tech upgrade would prevent the rollerskate from falling off the front of your shoe. I can still feel the vibration from the concrete and the smooth feeling of an occassional piece of blacktopFirst time on a skateboard I flipped backwards and cracked the back of my head, waited a minute or so and got right back on! You went to the emergency room if there was a bone sticking out.

Comment

The only roads we had were hot tar and crushed gravel. Rather bumpy...the legs and feet were well vibrated. The wheel only lasted a few seasons. Going down hills was like being bolted to the engine of a prop plane.
                              ~~

Comment

Working...
                              X