X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for a new tool.

I have an idea for a new tool feature, figured I would post it here and see if anyone else wanted to get creative with me and maybe post an idea of their own.

I would like to see a usb port incorporated into perhaps the 18V MINI RADIO - R84081, 18v X4 LED HYBRID LIGHT - R8691 or the 18V COMPACT LED LIGHT - R86920. It would be capable of recharging phones, ipods or any device which can be charge through usb.

Re: Ideas for a new tool.

It might be a good idea, if your experience with recharging from a USB is a lot better than mine.

I have only a couple of devises that use the USB as a recharger. One is my Kodak "Play Full" digital video camera and the other my very compact Bayer glucose meter. Plugging them into my laptop's USB just takes hours to charge either of them. Fortunately, the both have separate wall plugs with USB-type outputs and using those, they both charge in less than an hour.

With that experience alone, I would think that trying to charge anything significant (like an 18-Volt battery) would be painfully slow. But, your experience may well be different.

CWS

Comment

Useful idea considering how many tradesmen have smart phones and other devices which could be charged via usb port. I still would prefer to have new "tools" added to the Ridgid 18volt line.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
        It might be a good idea, if your experience with recharging from a USB is a lot better than mine.

I have only a couple of devises that use the USB as a recharger. One is my Kodak "Play Full" digital video camera and the other my very compact Bayer glucose meter. Plugging them into my laptop's USB just takes hours to charge either of them. Fortunately, the both have separate wall plugs with USB-type outputs and using those, they both charge in less than an hour.

With that experience alone, I would think that trying to charge anything significant (like an 18-Volt battery) would be painfully slow. But, your experience may well be different.

CWS
        CWS, I think you got it backward. I believe he is talking about being able to charge devices from the 18v battery, not charge the 18v battery using a usb port.
        Laptop or desktop computer USB ports have mimimal power available. Usually its just enough to keep the device going without the battery being drained. If you are lucky the USB port can put some charge into the device battery, but they are not deisgned to replace wall chargers. Now you can get higher output USB chargers that plug into your cars' cigar lighter, some even come with both a low and high current port. These should charge about as fast as an AC wall wart.

i think it could be a handy feature that would not be hard to incorporate into a current battery, just need some voltage reduction and current limiting so you don't smoke your smartphone or what have you.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Just a little FYI, not all USB ports supple the same amount of power. Like CWSmith has noticed, wall warts charge faster the more computer USB ports. Most wall warts can supply the higher current. Some computer USB port can supply the higher current to, but not to many do. Sometimes its also because of the USB cable. USB cable that are just for charging usually only have 2 wires, and will charge at the higher current level. But you have to be careful as to what you plug them into, it's possible to damage a computer USB port controller if a device tries to pull more current them it's capable of supplying.

Comment

Yes I am talking about charging things like phones etc from the ridgid batteries. I have a smartphone that last almost a full day. I can buy a phone brand additional external battery and case with usb cable for charging the phone when I'm not near a wall plug but it cost $50. Check out the picture to see what I'm suggesting with the usb charging port. Keep in mind it would be a covered port with either a rubber insert of a plastic slide etc.

Attachment

USB ports do have various degrees of power output depending on the class you are using but your device will regulate it's own draw from the usb port. This is built into your device because there is such an array of identical usb sockets (usb1/2/3 and dedicated charging ports) which consumers can plug into when they connect to a computer etc.

I did a spec search and found this info on usb port ratings USB 2.0 can deliver 500 ma at 4.4V - 5.25V, USB 3.0 can deliver 900 ma at 4.4V - 5.25V and a dedicated usb charging port can deliver 1800 ma at 5.25V.

Basically the port would be the same specs as a car charger usb charging port that fits into your cigarette lighter.

I go deep woods camping a fair bit on my atv and do tend to bring my ridgid radio and lights with me. It would be awesome to be able to charge my phone, gps etc from one of my big batteries.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Supermanofsteel; 03-01-2013, 09:40 PM.

Comment

I don't know if ATV's have 12volt access ports (cigarette lighter), if not you could wire one in cheap and just use a car charger.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                I don't know if ATV's have 12volt access ports (cigarette lighter), if not you could wire one in cheap and just use a car charger.
                The main bennifit for the port would be for when you are working at an un-powered job site and your phone is almost dead. It sucks having to leave the phone charging in the truck all morning in case you are expecting a phone call or in case someone is trying to get a hold of you. With this feature you would just plug it into one of your lights and keep it near you while you are working, that way you can still receive calls while working.

My atv does have a 12v port but the bike gets so dirty I wouldn't want to lay anything down on it to charge, all my gear is inside cargo containers in watertight bags. I guess in my scenario I was thinking more of later in the evening when I'm not on the bike and during the night when I'm in my tent out of the rain etc. It wouldn't be practical to leave the phone outside on the bike as it can take an hour to charge a device.
                Last edited by Supermanofsteel; 03-01-2013, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Consider this alternative, instead of a USB port how about a simple plug in adapter for our 18volt Ridgid batteries that converts the 18 to 21 or 22 volts when fully charged to 12volts in the form of a cigarette port plug .We could then plug in any car charger for a smart phone, laptop, or any 12volt accessory.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                    Consider this alternative, instead of a USB port how about a simple plug in adapter for our 18volt Ridgid batteries that converts the 18 to 21 or 22 volts when fully charged to 12volts in the form of a cigarette port plug .We could then plug in any car charger for a smart phone, laptop, or any 12volt accessory.
                    Tha would take up a lot more physical space so I think it would be tougher to incorporate into the current battery form factor. But there might be enough room to squeeze a USB port and the few components needed to suppor it into a corner of a current battery. You could put a barrel connector (center positive) as has been used on many small electronic devices for years without much trouble, and could could tap off the correct number of cells to get 12v out, but this would drain only some of the cells and result in an unequal discharge which is bad. You would need to tap off the 18v output and reduce the voltage down to 12 so that all the cells were discharged evenly. Still doable but like the USB solution takes a simple circuit to make it work.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

I don't think it would be possible to fit it inside the battery compartment due to space requirements.

Also consider if this was added directly to every single battery than this becomes a new point of failure which could result in an increase in battery replacements.

I feel by adding it to a light or radio it would encounter less wear and tear. I have 8 batteries and they get tossed into the bag and plopped around the jobsite quite often. My lights however are treated marginally more gentle because I don't want to break the light. Also if the light had the usb port I could bring it out as needed instead of always having the port exposed while using the batteries.

Comment

It could be a stand alone unit with USB and 12volt cigarette port, that would snap onto the battery in place of a tool. I doubt we will see such a thing because of copyright or claims of damage resulting from use. If I could figure out how to safely and inexpensively drop down the voltage from 21/18 to 12volts, I'd rig something up on my own. I was thinking solid state voltage regulator for auto application. Dodge/crysler had one that mounted on the firewall back in the seventies. Any suggestions?

Comment

I think this would be an awesome stand alone unit. Probably be able to get $30 for it just because no one else sells them. Car chargers can cost $15 to $20, ni-cad battery powered usb chargers cost $15 to $50 and lithium powered portable recharges sell for $50 to $150.

This stand alone unit would be on par with a lithium powered portable recharging system.

Attachment
                          Attached Files

Comment

I like the idea of something that connects to the battery.
                            Was that what you were thinking of to begin with?

Could even be added to a kit as an accessory.
                            Add that in and it could help sell a 5 or 6 piece kit.
                            ---------------
                            ---------------
                            ---------
                            ---------

Comment

I was actually thinking of a stand alone unit but figured it might be easier for them to modify an existing product. I'd actually prefer the stand alone unit. I think you are right, it would help sell product, either as 6 pc kits or buy a battery and get a free usb charger attachment. Currently I see them giving away $79 batteries with the purchase of a $70 radio.

Comment

Working...
                              X