Issue with R4512 Riving Knife

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with R4512 Riving Knife

Lately I have noticed my riving knife has been getting harder and harder to clamp down. I pulled the back off of the saw to clean it out and tried again. I noticed it is also very loose. I can't saw that I have ever paid that much attention before, but the armature has quite a bit of side-to-side play. My questions are:

1 - Is this side to side play normal?
    2 - What can I do to fix this issue? It's damn near impossible to lock down or release the riving knife now. I don't use the guards (I cross cut with a sled and rip using the GRR-Riper) but I don't feel comfortable using the saw without the riving knife.

Re: Issue with R4512 Riving Knife

Here is another discussion with the same problem. https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t42936/ mine is also like you describe so ill be watching these threads closely.

Comment

Thanks. That's discouraging that there is no fix. I am more concerned with the amount of play. I can't say that I have ever really paid attention because the riving knife was easy to move/remove. Is that normal or something to be concerned with?

Between this issue and the crappy fence rails, this saw may be on craigslist soon - and I haven't even had it a year. It's too bad because I REALLY like it.

Comment

I fixed the wobble issue by tightening the set screws behind the arbor. No luck with the locking mechanism though

Comment

Joe,
          glad you got the play out of the knife. I think the thing referenced as a push stick that came with the saw is not a push stick, it may be for locking/releasing the knife lever (just kidding). Thats what I use it for, to push the lever down and lift it back up (I make all my own push blocks). All the review's, posts etc i've read on the 4512, it seems just about everyone has this problem.
          I spent a lot of time when I put my rails together to get the joint as smooth as possible (on and off the saw 3 times). I don't have any problems with the fence sliding over the joint.
          Mike
          Mike

Comment

Thanks! If it ever does loosen up on you, tighten the set screws. The ones close to the bottom are easily accessible with the back off the saw, the one on the top you can get at if you crank the height and tilt the arbor. I use the GRR Riper for ripping and I cross cut with a sled. The ridgid push stick is actually great for moving tiny pieces away from the blade on the band saw. Maybe now I found an even better use for it. I'm not going to give up - it worked good once, something must have changed.

My problem with the rails is I do a lot of work close to the blade. The constant clamping pressure right near the joint messes with the set screw blocks. When I take the fence off, I can see where they dig into the aluminum trying to keep their grip. If I end up keeping the saw I will replace the fence with a Bies or Incra LS-TS. I really like the fence bar itself though. It's a nice extrusion with t-tracks all over it. I have many quick jigs I would miss if I had to replace it.

It's also worth noting I have sent thousands of board feet through this saw. It gets used at least 2 to 3 hours a day.

Comment

Well I finally thought lets trying sanding a little bit of the riving knife and I am happy to report I can now open and close the riving knife latch with just my hand. I did take the time to sand a little and test it till it work just right. I am not sure if this is the right way around it but it did work. This is just my fix as it might not work for you.

Comment

I actually completely disassembled the whole thing (twice). The second time was a charm. It's a little tighter than it was out of the box, but by no means requires mechanical advantage anymore.

Comment

Working...
                X