X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blades for R3121 Jigsaw

Hey everyone ... new to the forum but not new to Rigid Tools. I have been a long time user and feel Ridgid has some very nice quality tools. I have been very happen overall with them. So the reason for the post is that I picked up a used R3121 jigsaw at an estate sale. Very nice condition .. looks hardly used. I won't say how much but let's just say there wouldn't be one person here who wouldn't have bought it. It had the hard shell case too. Scored big time. Anyway, it had a blade with it but I can't tell the manufacturer of the blade since it was used. I picked up some Bosch blades and they aren't locking in correctly. The locking mechanism isn't closing all the way when I insert the T-shank blade.

The blade that was in the saw when I bought it seems to work fine. I suppose there is a slight variation in T-shank shape that isn't allowing the Bosch blades to fully close. Anyone have any advise as to which blades work best? Dewalt, Lenox, B&D, Craftsman, Hitachi, Milwaukee? It is ashame that the Bosch blades don't fit correctly because I like their blades and they are the most readily available. Has anyone else run into this issue or is it my specific jigsaw? Thanks.

Tim

Re: Blades for R3121 Jigsaw

Tim,

I've owned the 3121 jigsaw since 2010, and coincidentally, I use only Bosch T-blades. You do have to play with the blades a little bit to get them seated, but once you get the feel for it you'll get them in quickly and automatically. Believe me, it's just a matter of learning the little "trick", and then you'll be fine. By the way, you'll find similar difficulties with a few other blade manufacturers.

Dan

Comment

Thanks Dan. I guess I'll keep playing around with it. I hope I can find the trick.

Tim

Comment

Many 'brand new" jigsaws have the problem you described. The locking mechanism is just a little tight until you get the saw broken in. All you really need to do is just give the blade a little firmer push to seat the blade into the housing. After you've used the saw a bit and changed out some blades for awhile you find in much easier down the road to fully seat the blade.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I hope it gets easier to get them in. I'm barely able to get the locking mechanism to sit above the t-shank. It definitely doesn't close all the way. I guess I'll try some other type of blades since the one that was with the jigsaw when I purchased it seats just fine. Trial and error I guess until I find some blades that work for me.

Tim

Comment

Tim,

Here's something that I've done on several occasions. When a local Home Depot has one of their vendor days, take your jigsaw to the store and talk with the Ridgid rep. Or ask the store manager if he knows when the rep will be back in the store for a routine "stock straightening" visit. These reps are often well-informed, and they can be a little generous on occasion.

My preference is the vendor days. I wouldn't want to get any reps in trouble, but years ago I took a Ryobi jigsaw to a vendor show and asked why the saw wouldn't bear straight when cutting. The rep gave me a new saw - a more current model. Three or four years ago I had a Ridgid collated screw gun that worked, but not entirely satisfactorily. The rep took my name and address, and mailed me a new gun within 2 weeks.

Since you can easily demonstrate your problem to the rep, he knows you're not just fishing for freebees. It's worth a try. It's really a small concession for the reps, but it turns people like me into committed Ridgid and Ryobi customers.

Dan

Comment

That's an interesting idea. Never thought about that. Next time I'm at HD I will ask when the next vendor day is with Ridgid. Thanks for the advise.

Tim

Comment

Is there any chance of dirt in the mechanism that the blade fits into? The blade may not be seating deep enough which is causing the t portion of the blade to be too high and scrape on the securing mechanism as you release the tension handle.

Comment

I agree with Dan, had the same issue at first, but now at a problem at all.

Comment

Working...
                  X