Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which multitool to purchase?

Well, in the beginning it was a simple answer "FEIN"

Today, however, the multitool playing field has grown in leaps and bounds ....
    you can go to a $20.00 tool or all the way past a $300.00 tool.

So here is a list of the various multitools offered out there today:

Bosch
    Multi-X, MX25EC-21 Multi-X, MX25EK-33 Multi-X, MX30EL-37 Multi-X, PMF 180E, PS50-2A Multi-X, PS50-2B Multi-X

Craftsman Nextec Multi Tool
    Chicago/Harbor Freight Multi Tool:
    Cougar
    Dremel Multi-Max - All Model, Except MM40
    Driving Force
    EINHELL
    Falke Tool Mate
    Fein Multimaster Tools
    Fein AFMM 14, Fein FMM 250 Q,Fein FMM 250 Q-MS, Fein MOX 6-25 Pneumatic,
    Ferm Zwolle Holland
    Genesis Multi-Purpose Oscillating Tool
    HARDIN AZ318-2 250W
    Haussmann 5-in-1 Multi-Purpose Tool
    Ideenshop
    IIT
    King Canada Oscillating Multi-Tool
    Makita
    Mastercraft Oscillating Multi-Tool
    Master Mechanic
    Matrix
    MEEC Tools
    Millarco prof
    Milwaukee Multi-Tool
    Ozito
    Power Craft
    Power Duro
    Pro-Line
    Ridgid Jobmax
    Ryobi
    Rock Worth
    Samona Multi Tool
    Seeco
    Skil Mulit-tool
    TradeMaster
    Task Force
    TopCraft
    Westfalia
    Work Best
    Voss

Cactus Man

P.S. I own the 18V JOBMAX and the Corded model I use them both and they are excellent.
    Last edited by cactusman; 03-14-2013, 03:03 PM. Reason: added a P.S. comment

Re: Which multitool to purchase?

Hmmmm... I bought the Jobmax ;-) Using it extensively on a dry-walling project with great results. I want to get the 18v version soon so I can use the X4 batteries with it.

Comment

I bought a dremel ( but it was one of the first out when the paten apparently ran out) if one does not push it does a nice job, but since I do not have any thing else to compare it to, I do not know how it stands in comparison,

but getting blades for it is easy, and cost completive,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I have the Fein which I bought before the JobMax came out. I also have the 12V JobMax and the corded JobMax. For max power I like the Fein, but I have used the 12v JobMax more than the Fein of late, it has just suited my needs for small jobs better and being cordless is nice.

Ridgid has all the angles covered with their four version of the tool, including a pneumatic one. The only thing their missing is one that runs off the 12v cigarette lighter plug in your car or truck.

I heard a rumor that a solar-powered version was in development.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

BHD,

I have a question about your Dremel multi-tool. A friend complains that she can't find a way to adapt accessories from other manufacturers, and use them on her Dremel. She said that Dremel's adapter allows Dremel's accessories to be used on other manufacturers' tools. She has the Ridgid and Bosch adapters, along with her Dremel, but no adapter or combination of adapters allow the Dremel to use anything but Dremel accessories.

It's not that there is a shortage of Dremel accessories! It's just that we can often buy deeply discounted accessories from Rockwell and Bosch.

Thanks,
          Dan

Comment

I have the Ridgid Jobmax, 12-Volt... and HATE it! Not the tool itself, because when it works it's great, but the batteries totally suck! It just eats up the batteries and even with three freshly charged batteries, I can't get 20 minutes of use out of the tool totally! Of all my Ridgid tools, this is the only one that I consider to be a total waste of money.

If I were to do it again, I'd still stay with the JobMax, but definitely go with the corded unit.

CWS

Comment

For my usage, which is seldom, I couldn't justify buying anything but the Chicago/Harbor Freight version. Imagine my surprise when, again for my usage, it actually works quite well. When or if it dies I'll just get another.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I use the ridgid corded jobmax. I really like it. The attachments make it above the other brands. I also use the impact driver and it works like a charm for tight spots.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantaDan View Post
                  BHD,

I have a question about your Dremel multi-tool. A friend complains that she can't find a way to adapt accessories from other manufacturers, and use them on her Dremel. She said that Dremel's adapter allows Dremel's accessories to be used on other manufacturers' tools. She has the Ridgid and Bosch adapters, along with her Dremel, but no adapter or combination of adapters allow the Dremel to use anything but Dremel accessories.

It's not that there is a shortage of Dremel accessories! It's just that we can often buy deeply discounted accessories from Rockwell and Bosch.

Thanks,
                  Dan
                  what I have seen is that the companies that make the blades make the adapters, for the various tools, for example as pointed out Dremel made an adapter for others to use there blades, ( I am sure there is more money in the blades than in selling the tools and if they can keep you coming back to them for the accessories then they have done there job).

I do not know if this these will work or not just found the links on the net, the way I read the write up it looks like they will

Bosch Oscillating Multi Tool Adapter-OIS001 at The Home Depot

Universal OMT Adapter, Saw Blades & Saw Accessories, Power Tool Accessories - McFeely's

but I would go to the web site of the company you want to buy accessories from and see if they have an adapter that will work with the Dremel tool, or what ever tool you have,
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I bought a dremel I would classify it as ok. The blades come loose no matter how hard I tighten the bolt.

Comment

I have the cheap Harbor freight. It does the job ,But not like My Sons Fein !
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                        I bought a dremel I would classify it as ok. The blades come loose no matter how hard I tighten the bolt.
                        do you have the bevel washer, that they upgraded to? I think at one time they would send it out if you called them,
                        mine has the bevel washer and have never had a blade loosen,

(the below quote was refering to the Dermel site, the link no longer works tho, to it),
                        A bevel washer and screw are provided to secure accessories to the Multi-Max tool. The washer needs to be mounted with the bevel up to ensure that the accessories do not come loose during operation. If you are still having trouble keeping the accessory tight with the washer in the proper orientation contact customer service to receive a new shoulder washer that will eliminate this issue. Customer service can be reached by calling 1-800-4-Dremel. When using the shoulder washer it should be mounted so that the flat surface of the washer mates with the head of the mounting screw and the stepped shoulder surface of the washer mates with the accessory. This shoulder washer will secure the accessory appropriately. The bevel washer should NOT be used with the shoulder washer. If you are still encountering difficulties please contact Consumer Service
                        http://www.experts123.com/q/my-acces...t-do-i-do.html
                        Dremel Customer Service
                        http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Customer...s/default.aspx
                        Last edited by BHD; 03-14-2013, 09:25 PM.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

have 2 dremels and so far so good. i bought a craftsman because for the cost of the kit, the blades alone were worth it.

go onto ebay and there are plenty of copanies selling universal blades now.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                            For my usage, which is seldom, I couldn't justify buying anything but the Chicago/Harbor Freight version. Imagine my surprise when, again for my usage, it actually works quite well. When or if it dies I'll just get another.
                            +1
                            Being a finish carpenter mostly, I thought this sort of tool was just a gimmick. I figured I would try a cheap one to see how much I would used it. If I ended up using it a lot I would buy a better one when the cheap one broke. If I didn't use it much and broke it I wouldn't have to worry about replacing it. Its been 2 years and my chicago cordless multi tool has been going strong. The only thing I have bought was an extra battery so there would be no downtime waiting for a battery to charge. I use it all the time and been waiting for the dam thing to break so I have an excuse to by a better brand lol. Not a bad way to try out a tool. The tool and extra battery less then $50
                            I would probably but a corded one and use the battery powered one as a back up if no power was near. I thing the corded ones have more oscillations per minute

Comment

I bought a Dremel unit when they first came out, lasted maybe 6 months and it burned up internally. I then bought the 12v JobMax, and the first run of these had issues. I got a new replacement unit and it worked great. I bought the Corded version and its way more powerful and works much quicker than the 12v. I recently bought the x4 18v handle and really like it, much more powerful than the 12v but still not as good as the corded. The corded unit has some weight to it that I think helps this type of tool as it keeps the handle steady and allows the cutting head to keep moving with out moving the tool. My brother has 2 Fein units, and they blow all of mine out of the water! They are heavy and the quick lock blade release is way better than the stupid allen wrench bolt on most competitors including the JobMax. If I had one thing to complain about on the JobMax is that you have to have the 5mm allen wrench to swap blades and they didnt even take the time to build a spot into the handle to store the wrench.

Comment

Working...
                              X