Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast iron protection? mouse pi$$

for varouse reasons I was not in the wood shop for a few years,
    and during that time, I had a lot of my cast iron and steel tops mouse attacked, and a lot of rust trails, the planer was most like the worst as it was up and some what covered by the cutter and hood,

in the past I use some type of floor wax, for protection and short term works, and I have used wd40,

I did some internet searching and some one said use raw linseed oil, never heard of that,
    some one else said dust with talc power, a number of times siad to fill the pours of the iron and seal it, and make it some what water restant,

If the shop has to be non used for a few months what have you found for tool portection?

I would prefer some thing that does not need to be cleaned off to use, again, but would rather clean it off than have the mess of last time,

any sugestions?

and beside letting the cats in the building any thing that does work to keep mice out of a room or area, (the cats work but there jump on the shelves and knock off boxes of nails and screws and other and some times not sure what one is worst to have in the building i would brefer neither,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: Cast iron protection? mouse pi$$

Get yourself some of these and cover your tools when not in use.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Clean everything thoroughly with WD40 and some 0000 steel wool. Wipe it all clean, and then apply Bostich topcote. After the topcote has been buffed, apply a coat of paste wax and buff well. This should go a long way to protect your cast iron surfaces.

Do you live in a humid climate? If so, you may also want to cover up your surfaces with old towels or hardboard so that moisture does not settle on the surface of your tools.

Comment

The mover's blankets might work well if you don't run into mice with really big kidneys, that soak through ... my only concern would be whether the blankets might moisture and hold it. I did use one of those to cover the new gas grill which was stored this past winter in the garage, so there doesn't appear to be any problem with that at this point, although the grill is baked enamel (but I see no staining or evidence of moisture, even here in NY).

I've heard that tung oil is very good for iron protection, but I have never tried it myself. I think its probably too expensive, as everything else seems to be today. "Boeshield T9" is highly recommended (Boeshield T-9® | Corrosion Protection and Waterproof Lubrication) and is available from www.LeeValley.com and probably other sources.

Doing a search, I also find something called "Sharkhide" (Sharkhide) No idea what this costs or how removable it is.

The Boeshield is about $60 a gallon, but a good-sized spray can is only around $12 to $15 if I remember correctly.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          Get yourself some of these and cover your tools when not in use.
          Over time won't those pads absorb moisture and maybe cause more problems? I think they work if you're in thereevery few days. My shop gets little use in the dead of winter. I have not done much in there since December. Its just getting to where I will get back out there. But before I quit for the winter I clean and wax my cast iron surfaces and make sure all dawdust is removed as it will draw moisture. I check on the tools through the cold but not much actual use.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            Over time won't those pads absorb moisture and maybe cause more problems? ........
            in my experience, covering CI surfaces with almost ANYTHING (blankets, plywood, masonite, comforters, HTC tool covers, etc.) will seriously retard/eliminate rust formation. at least that's what happens in my unheated garage shop.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I am thinking cut some hard board covers, and then before using spray or put some wax or oil or bioshield on the steel, and then cover, to keep them off the steel,

I live in a very dry humidiy area, hardly ever have humidy problems,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Johnsons paste wax is recommended by folks at the OWWM forum for cast iron tops, the wrong material, like silicon could cause problems.

Comment

Plumbing specs state to apply a coating of petroleum jelly on chrome faucets and flushometers to protect during the period between installation and final acceptance.you have to wipe it of, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Norcal View Post
                    Johnsons paste wax is recommended by folks at the OWWM forum for cast iron tops, the wrong material, like silicon could cause problems.
                    Silicone and similar products will protect the cast iron, but it rubs off on the wood and messes up fine finishes.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                      Silicone and similar products will protect the cast iron, but it rubs off on the wood and messes up fine finishes.
                      Yes, it can cause "fish eyes" in a finished product. Ensure that you use a non silicone based was, like paste wax.

Comment

Couldn't you just cut pieces of plywood, slightly oversized, to sit on your iron surfaces?

Comment

As stated by others, silicone is not good due to the transfer to your material. However, Teflon spray is supposed to be a good solution.
                          Big G

Comment

Originally posted by rbk123 View Post
                            Couldn't you just cut pieces of plywood, slightly oversized, to sit on your iron surfaces?
                            as i noted previously, covering my CI surfaces with almost ANYTHING seriously retards/almost eliminates rust formation on my johnson's paste waxed CI surfaces.
                            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                              as i noted previously, covering my CI surfaces with almost ANYTHING seriously retards/almost eliminates rust formation on my johnson's paste waxed CI surfaces.
                              So is there a reason you aren't going this route then?

Comment

Working...
                              X