X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second owner warranty

i got a few cordless power tools from an estate sale, is there a way to see if they are registered, or is the warranty void. i know on all my craftman tools they could careless how many people owned them, i just take them to sears and they replace them.

Re: Second owner warranty

Without the receipt I don't think you can get even the 3 year warranty. The LSA is not transferable. In order for you to even find out if the tools have already been registered I would think customer service could only give you this information by giving you details about someone else account. I can't see them doing that.
    Last edited by Supermanofsteel; 03-22-2013, 12:38 AM.

Comment

ya thats what im thinking. the owner died so that why they were in the estate sell, suck because i know they are no older then a year

Comment

Originally posted by vangor View Post
        ya thats what im thinking. the owner died so that why they were in the estate sell, suck because i know they are no older then a year
        First of all you are confusing a hand tool and power tool warranty for craftsman. Only the hand tools have a no proof of ownership no questions asked policy. The power tools is a year i believe and proof of purchase required. Secondly the Ridgid 3 year warranty is valid by the date stamp code on the tool if there is no receipt.

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
          First of all you are confusing a hand tool and power tool warranty for craftsman. Only the hand tools have a no proof of ownership no questions asked policy. The power tools is a year i believe and proof of purchase required. Secondly the Ridgid 3 year warranty is valid by the date stamp code on the tool if there is no receipt.
          I checked into it and the craftsman tools have three years on some of their powertools. I thought a receipt would be needed as well but I do not know.

I also did not know that Ridgid would honor the 3 year warranty on it's tools by the date code alone. Are you sure of this? I know for certain Milwaukee will honour warranty based on date code alone. It would be awesome if Ridgid did it as well.

Comment

I don't believe, after reading the below warranty, that a receipt is actually required however without one, and depending on how long a tool sits on HD's shelf before selling, that 3 Year Warranty could actually end up being much shorter than that if no receipt is available.

3-Year Limited Warranty
            RIDGID® Brand Hand Held Power Tools, Stationary Power Tools, and Pneumatic Tools are automatically covered under a 3-year Limited Warranty. This 3-Year Limited Warranty begins from the date of purchase shown by a valid receipt. If a valid receipt is not available, the 3 year limited warranty period begins from the date of manufacture on originally purchased equipment. For batteries and chargers, if the receipt is not available, and the battery/charger serial code differs from tool console more than 12 weeks, the origin of the battery/charger cannot be verified. In this case, the tool serial code must be used to verify warranty, NOT the battery/charger serial code. Note that all accessory batteries and chargers sold separately must have a valid receipt to verify warranty status since they are not sold with a tool console in a kit
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I'm surprised that Craftsman has a "3 year warranty on some of their powertools." While there's no question that the "Craftsman" brand of hand tools like hammers and automotive wrenches are famous for their lifetime replacement policy, the "Craftsman" line of power tools are most always just a single year... a warranty that is hardly competitive in today's market place. Even their big table saw, which is very much like the Ridgid has only a one-year warranty.

Regarding the question about the Ridgid power tools purchased through an estate sale... you would definitely be the second owner and therefore the tools are not eligible for the LLSA and if they had been registered into the LLSA program by the deceased, that program is NOT transferable. However, the 3-year warranty normally provided with the tool purchase may well be, IF (and only IF) the date code on the nameplate offers anything. In the past, a dated "Home Depot" receipt was required for warranty coverage... HOWEVER, I have been told by Ridgid Customer Support, and it has been written by other forum members in the past, that the "date code" of the serial number has been honored.

I'm NOT sure of this though, as surely the date code may well be much older than the actual purchase date, considering it's time on the shelf before any sale was made. Surely the best avenue for an answer to this question would be to call Ridgid Customer Support; after all, they would be the final decision maker in any claim.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Oops, I see Badger Dave got his post in before mine, with a better answer!
              Last edited by CWSmith; 03-22-2013, 11:37 AM.

Comment

lol not that it matters much but I got currious about their warranty and I check out the Sears website. Most tools don't have any warranty info stated but those that do usually say as an example: Combo includes: drill, driver, multi-charger, lithium-ion battery pack, nylon carrying bag, 3-year tool warranty, 1-year warranty on battery. I live in Canada so perhaps the warranty is different in the US?

Here is a link to Sears with a drill. CRAFTSMAN®/MD 19.2V Drill/Reciprocating Saw Combo - Sears | Sears Canada

Under features it says 3-year tool warranty, 1-year warranty on batteries.

1 year on the battery... wow that is horrendous.

Comment

think its a regional thing, just going by my sears here who said they changed it, who am i to correct them when they replaced my old grinder

Comment

Originally posted by vangor View Post
                    think its a regional thing, just going by my sears here who said they changed it, who am i to correct them when they replaced my old grinder
                    I certainly wouldn't question iT!! A lot of stores and managers have their own rules

Comment

Originally posted by Supermanofsteel View Post
                      I checked into it and the craftsman tools have three years on some of their powertools. I thought a receipt would be needed as well but I do not know.

I also did not know that Ridgid would honor the 3 year warranty on it's tools by the date code alone. Are you sure of this? I know for certain Milwaukee will honour warranty based on date code alone. It would be awesome if Ridgid did it as well.
                      They do. In the absence of a receipt we refer to the date of manufacture for warranty claims. As far as I know, we do that for everything we sell under warranty.

Comment

Working...
                      X