X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ridgid 18 volt worklights/flashlights comparison

I need a light to go with the 18v ridgid system I'm putting together. The newest Ridgid 18v light, with the cfl bulb, looks like it works only as a work light... that is, it puts out a wide area light but not a focused beam. Am I right about that?

It looks like they have at least two older models that might be more like what I'd want; the R849 and the R86920. Any reason Ridgid stopped selling these? Anyone familiar with them?

Thanks,
    John

Re: ridgid 18 volt worklights/flashlights comparison

The X4 light has two light settings. It has a spot and a diffused setting.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
      The X4 light has two light settings. It has a spot and a diffused setting.
      Can it really have much of a focused beam with a compact fluorescent bulb? I'm not saying it can't, I just find it hard to imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by LocalHero View Post
        Can it really have much of a focused beam with a compact fluorescent bulb? I'm not saying it can't, I just find it hard to imagine.
        My X4 light does not have a fluorescent bulb.

Comment

Website description for the light that comes in the X4 kit
          Also featuring a dual mode work light that easily changes from spot light to area light and has a lifetime LED Bulb this combo is a must have for every job.

Comment

My X4 light does not have a fluorescent bulb.
            Sorry, I got confused. I think I was assuming the current light offered by HD would be the x4 but it's the x3.
            How do you like the x4 light over all? That's one of the ones I focused on (ha ha) in my original post. I guess I'd have to buy one via Ebay or some other "unofficial" source and forgo any warranty?

Comment

Website description for the light that comes in the X4 kit
              I did read that and understood that it had an led bulb and worked as a flashlight or work light. I just assumed that the light HD was selling was the newest light. Why don't they sell this one at HD except in a kit?

Maybe I should have been looking harder at the kits.... I wonder if they have one with the components I'm interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by LocalHero View Post
                I did read that and understood that it had an led bulb and worked as a flashlight or work light. I just assumed that the light HD was selling was the newest light. Why don't they sell this one at HD except in a kit?

Maybe I should have been looking harder at the kits.... I wonder if they have one with the components I'm interested in.
                Why Ridgid or Home Depot does or doesn't do anything I won't even try to explain.

I'm not sure if any of the flashlights are sold outside of being an accessory with other tools.

If I were you I'd buy a kit and eBay what I didn't want or just buy a light on eBay myself.

Comment

Why Ridgid or Home Depot does or doesn't do anything I won't even try to explain.

I'm not sure if any of the flashlights are sold outside of being an accessory with other tools.

If I were you I'd buy a kit and eBay what I didn't want or just buy a light on eBay myself.
                  I was figuring on buying a light and maybe more via Ebay. Just trying to decide which light which is why I posted this question. I don't think they put together a kit that makes sense for me.
                  So.... how do you like your x4 light? Plenty of light? Does the beam go pretty far? Pros? Cons?

Comment

Works fine. I haven't used it a lot. I'm partial to my 12V light if I need to hold it in my hand and my 18V if I can set it down.

My experience has been that they all put out pretty good light. I've had 3 different styles of 18V Ridgid lights. Liked them all OK.

Comment

The x4 is probably the one I'll go for. I like it more compact and with the led bulb. I've got one of the Bosch 10.8v lights that is great when I need to fit in in my tool belt but I'm thinking the 18v/led bulb combo must put out a lot more light. I'll wait for a deal on one.

Thanks,
                      John

Comment

I have 2 of the R869 lights, wish I would have got another before HD sold out of them online. I use them all the time, and light up an entire room without a problem. Actually just replaced a bulb in one tonight as I dropped it pretty far and the bulb didnt make it, but the light itself made it ok without any broken parts. I tried a 6w LED bulb in it, and it works quite well, but the plastic shield housing doesnt fit over it, so I think I'll keep my eyes open for a slim LED bulb under 9 watts for it, nothing at home depot would work. Anyway, great light. I looked at the R86920 that comes with the x4 kit, and to be honest, it feels cheap and I dont see it working very well to light up a room. Maybe great for enclosed places, but a whole room, I highly doubt it.

Comment

Maybe I'd like the r869 more than I'd expect. I'm imagining being in an attic and wanting to see something 25' away and wanting a focused beam. Frustrating that they don't have these lights in the store so I could see what they're like. I hadn't realized the r869 is out of stock online too. You can find them on Ebay tho probably more than the $39.
                          I'm still willing to pay more for the x4 and I think I'd like the x2 with an led bulb too.

Comment

I own two of the X4 R8691's dual flood/spot lights, I own two of the R86920's Compact LED Spot and I have owned an X3 R869B.

The X3 light was good, I liked how the bulb would swing up and illuminate in a 360 degree swath. Distance was ok but I found the light it generated was a bit to gentle and it was hard to see when working in close. I used it more for illuminating the floor and room so I didn't trip.

The Compact LED Spots are the lights I use the most, usually in pairs, illuminating the work in front of me from two angles behind me so I don't get dark spots.

The X4's I mainly use as floods because I have the other two spots. They also do a pretty good job at illuminating a room. The good thing about this light though is the dual function.

Spots are pretty bright, no problem throwing a usable beam 30 feet (I just tested this in my basement). I find without a flood the shadows are pretty harsh. The flood works great but it's a bit too gentle to work under at a distance. I recommend using the lights in pairs, a spot with a flood. If you are just getting one then I would go with the Spots.

Comment

I'm still catching up on all the possibilities of Ridgid 18v lights.... not sure I can figure out the difference between the R8961 and the R89620. Is it just that the first can be both flood and spot?

I realize because HD only lists the r869 alone and the x4 (no model # given) as part of a kit AND I can't find any information on any of the lights on the ridgid site, I'm depending on Ebay for information. This turns out to be not so accurate especially given the similarity in the model numbers.

Thanks for all the help here. As far as I can tell I want the x4 dual spot/flood.

Comment

Working...
                              X