• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 18-Volt Angle Grinder Console Only

SPECIFICATIONS
    Amperage (amps) 0 A Arbor Size 5/8
    This is news, a tool that consumes ZERO amps, or maybe
    they mean when the power switch is in the OFF position.

If they can't get the AMPs right what else did they screw up?
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      Its all on the RIDGID SkunkWorks web page.

Photos of the tools and project development teams, performance reviews and charts,
      tear-down info of failed tools, new chemistry battery testing.

I even found copies of their P3 schedules (for those of you who know what they are)
      for each tool showing production schedules and launch dates across the country.

All the dope on the latest RIDGID tools is there.

PM me and I will give you the password.
      I'll bite.... my pm box awaits...

Comment

Thanks Bob, but I just want Ridgid to offer the tool. Maybe I'm going about this all wrong? I need to find out who is in charge and offer him a few million to make that tool. Make sense

Comment

A quick user review:

A comment regarding the specifications....they are awful! 0-amps when off [obviously] no indication of
          power or current draw when operating. This is not unique to this tool or most of the other 18V tool specifications.
          They all indicate the same thing.

I installed the 4 1/2"x1/8" grinding wheel that came with the tool. The spanner wrench works fine but is a bit cheap
          compared to Ridgid's other grinder tool spanner wrenches!
          This one looks like a cheap pressed style.

I installed an 18V 3AH X-4 fully charged battery. I only have the 3AH batteries.
          Balance and distributed weight was pretty good. The area you grip was comfortable.

The switch will not "work" or activate without a battery installed. with a battery installed the switch
          is a slight rocker type that snaps into a locked/on position. I doubt you can easily run it with intermittent on.

The start up is smooth and has a slight buzz as it comes up to speed. You do not experience the start up snap of the torque
          as with other 4 1/2" grinders.

I had some 1" tubular steel with burrs and an edge that needed to be ground down. You apply the grinder with a light touch
          and allow the weight of the tool do the work. The tool is not loud so it's easy on the ears.
          The grinding was fast, smooth, accurate. Yeah and I made sparks!

I tried to force the grinder to see if the LEDs would come on but I guess I never stressed to grinder enough.

The battery never hesitated. Since I only ran the grinder for maybe 1 or 2 minutes I still had full battery power
          available, all LEDs on the battery fuel gauge lit up.

Bottom line..Ridgid did a nice job with this 18V grinder!

I registered it for the LSA program ..I made copies of all the documentation and mailed it registered
          signature required and return receipt. I figure by August the LSA will be assigned to the tool.

The only con..they did not include a nylon carry bag for the tool. But you can order #902406001
          which is about 17"x5"x5" from E replacement parts for $16.00 plus shipping or about $21.00 [approximate]

Cactus Man
          Last edited by cactusman; 05-15-2013, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            I was in home depot today and stopped by the tool area, still no grinder, or advertising that it exists. Ridgid is better at keeping secrets than the White House! Maybe Ridgid does have a heavy duty 1/2inch impact wrench? Loose Lips.

they seem to start out online only then move to stores a little later.

Comment

Got my grinder today....haven't played with it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                Got my grinder today....haven't played with it yet.
                kinda surprised they didnt make slim grip

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                  kinda surprised they didnt make slim grip
                  Couldn't, as on the slim the motor is on the butt end. They had to put the battery somewhere, and that is the butt, motor is in the handle.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                    Couldn't, as on the slim the motor is on the butt end. They had to put the battery somewhere, and that is the butt, motor is in the handle.
                    I had the same mental discussion with myself. The slim grip would have been nice, but that wasn't feasible.

Comment

I'll bite.... my pm box awaits...
                      No doubt you know I was kidding. No such place exists...that I know of.
                      And if it did I would not give away its existence if it was not meant to be known by all.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Anybody that wants to leave a flaming bag of poo on Bob's porch can PM me for his address.

Comment

ahh gotcha, but where is the motor on the slim grip one handed recip?

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                            ahh gotcha, but where is the motor on the slim grip one handed recip?
                            its is on the butt end, there is a shaft that goes through the handle to the gear head. Thats why its longer than your typical grinder

Comment

Had the wife's Explorer at the mechanic today. They mounted a couple new tires and rotated the other two, also replaced a defective ABS wheel sensor. They called me to say I needed a brake job and I could hear the disappointment when I said I'd do it myself. Instead of paying $600.00 or more, it just cost me $190 in parts. I have a corded impact wrench but I have a feeling them lugs got put back extra tight because the impact would not budge some of them. I had to use a breaker bar rather than burn out my electric tool. I was thinking of the Milwaukee M18 impact wrench with 450ftlbs of torque. Sure would have been nice to use that rather than strain my bad neck and back. Someday!

Comment

I put my grinder through a workout yesterday. Used it with a paint stripping wheel to remove loose garage floor paint and prep the whole surface for another coat. Some impressions:

Love the build and design. After comparing it to other models I am very satisfied with the quality of the build and the ergonomics of the design. The top location of the trigger was good. I would accidentally turn off my Hitachi because it has a side switch. This never happened with the Ridgid. The angle of the battery was nice. Out of the way but close enough to use as a steadying point, against my forearm, when I did some one handed operation.

It was comfortable to use and worked well with compact and full size batteries. I didn't really notice that much difference using the tool with either type of battery other than run time. I was running continuously so I drained batteries quickly. About 4 minutes on compact and 8 minutes with full size. I had 2 full size and 4 compact and I did burn through them faster than I could charge....even with 3 chargers. Had to use my corded Hitachi while batteries cooled and charged. I didn't stress the motor much so the red light rarely came on. Since maximizing battery life and also the life of the abrasive wheel was the goal I just let the weight of the tool provide the pressure for stripping.

It really isn't suited for lengthy, continuous duty unless you have a LOT of batteries, but seems like it can do anything should expect from a corded model while keeping in mind the typical cordless limitations.

Very happy with the purchase.

Comment

Working...
                                X