Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antique Drill Rebuild Info

Hello all.
    I have an old drill I am rebuilding and need some info or advise.

The brand is SpeedWay.
    It is an aluminum clam shell type of drill.
    I have seen one just like it for auction and it was listed as a....
    Electric Thor Speedway 201j drill.
    Not sure if that is the real name or part number.

The only ID on the drill other than the SpeedWay name are the cast numbers inside, B-6251 on the left side and B-6250 on the right and both have PEMCO in small letters beneath the numbers.

I pulled the drill apart and cleaned it as the oil that lubes it was getting in the brushes and gumming it up, so it only worked sometimes, and weakly at that.

The brass bearings and every thing seems ok other than not being grounded.
    I am putting on a 3 prong plug and grounding the housing.

The main question I have is that there are those old felt like lube oil pads on one half of the internal skeletal structure that holds the motor and gearing together.
    The other side does not, and I wonder if I just failed to notice them and they fell out while cleaning it.

And, I do believe I should replace them so where do I find something like that?

I will post pictures tomorrow afternoon.

Re: Antique Drill Rebuild Info

I do not know about this drill,
    but most of the time I have only seen the felt oil reserve pads on one location, the rest of the housing has held the bearing soildly.

but I do not know on that drill.

on the felt pads I would clen them a little maybe with soe paint thinner and le them dry and reoil with a 10w oil and reuse most likely

there are places one can find that thick felt on the net but (my experence is that it is not easy to get small quanties,)
    I have a piece of farm machinery that used felt seals and the company no longer sells them not easy to find, getting the correct density is not easy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    picture of that modle?
    NJAUCTION, L.L.C. - Home - Eclectic Shopping from Civil War to Present
    Last edited by BHD; 04-19-2013, 10:03 AM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Here are some pictures.

Attachment
      Left clam-shell

Attachment
      Right clam-shell

Attachment
      The inner assembly

Attachment
      Here are pointers noting the felt pockets

Attachment
      Here are the other felt pockets

Attachment
      The motor

Attachment
      The gearing

At least I have 2 examples and one is still dry from cleaning.
      Attached Files

Comment

I am curious as to why you are rebuilding such an old drill? Does it have sentimental value for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Supermanofsteel View Post
          I am curious as to why you are rebuilding such an old drill? Does it have sentimental value for you?
          If you need to ask, you probably wouldn't understand. There is a certain pleasure in bringing things back to life.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by lreops View Post
            If you need to ask, you probably wouldn't understand. There is a certain pleasure in bringing things back to life.

Ron

I asked because I was curious about his reason for rebuilding it and I was looking to make chit chat with the new member. . I understand the satisfaction that goes along with certain antiques etc. This tool however isn't your typical collectable, not many people appreciate the value in early electrical tools, hence the curiosity and question inquiring if the rebuild was based on any sentimental value.

Comment

It was not based on based on any sentimental value, just that it looks to be in good condition.

I also like look of older tools that still function well while having some interesting style to them.

The fact that they were all metal, sturdy and rebuildable does not hurt either.

Right now I have an old (single speed forward only) Sunbeam Drillmaster from the 50's as my main 1/4" drill, and it's still running strong.

Although neither has the option to go in reverse and both are on the small side of 1/4", I like them.

I even have an old (1880 to 1890-ish) belt powered (as in from an overhead shaft running along the factory ceiling driving thick belts) automatic tapper that someone disabled the reversing mechanism for a drill press and install a right smart, new fangled 1 HP ELECTRONIC motor from the 1920's to power it from a short length of 3" leather belt much older than I am.

I still need to level the table though as well as figure out the reverse function.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by archangel2003; 04-20-2013, 03:06 AM.

Comment

as far as the felts just use your own judgment, the way the housing looks a full felt does not look like it would hurt any,
                For a source of materials
                hobble store, possibly a hard felt guitar pick, or some place that does restore old cars, possibly an upholstery shop. (plus there are suppliers on the net)
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

one more possible source for small pieces of felt is at the hardware store the felt pads used for furniture feet protection for hard wood floors
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                  X