X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thinking about dropping my 12V tools

An 18V with compact battery is nearly as easy to use as the 12 and I like the handle grip better.

Since I now have an 18V jobmax I really don't see the reason to maintain both.

Thoughts? Am I overlooking something?

Re: thinking about dropping my 12V tools

Originally posted by rofl View Post

You are overlooking sending the old ones to me.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I'm in the same boat.

Comment

Years ago 12volt was the newest and greatest thing, but when you consider the advantages of 18volt it might be time to let go?

Comment

The advantages in the 12V system just seem to be dwindling IMO. The drill is only slightly more compact and not nearly as powerful. The jobmax is much more compact but no good for extended use. I considered buying the larger 12V batteries but then you give up some of the compactness and still aren't as good as the 18. Plus those aren't sold in kits so you can't LSA them.

Unless they sell tools exclusive to the 12V line I think I've lost interest.

Comment

Have had the compact 12vs since they came on they came on the scene.. This was a real deal for me since I had two tears in my shoulder and mostly just do woodworking now. However, I now have compact bigger boys and agree they are very awesome. But today when I had to be working over my head with my bum neck and shoulder for over an hour, I was very thankful for my "little" drill/drivers.
            Big G

Comment

I own some 12v milwaukee tools so I've also been kicking around the idea of getting rid of my 12v jobmax. I picked it up cheap used so I'm sure I can get my money back out of it when I sell it. I own the 18v Jobmax and it works a lot better than the 12v. Even though the 12v is a lot shorter I find the jobmax heads to be a bit bulky (especially when compared to Milwaukee) so dealing with a longer handle because of the battery isn't that big a deal when the heads are already bulky anyway imo.

Comment

Whenever I think about replacing a tool I ask myself whether the one I have has either let me down or is broken. If I can answer no to both of those then I figure it's just a case of want more than need.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Replace, in my case, doesn't require purchase. It means I gift the 12v to someone I know will use them and start using my 18v exclusively.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                    An 18V with compact battery is nearly as easy to use as the 12 and I like the handle grip better.

Since I now have an 18V jobmax I really don't see the reason to maintain both.

I'm not sure, but I don't think LSA covers intentionally dropping your tools.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Well then, that is a case of killing two birds with one stone, always a good frugal idea.
                      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Was in HD for the first time in about a month and cruised through the tool corral, place is totally done over. new shelving and layout for the tools. it will take getting used to, might be better but one this one visit i found it harder to locate what i was looking for.

anyway, I see that DeWalt has a new (to me) line of compact 20V tools with brushless motors. They are very small, smaller than the RIDGID 12v line.
                        For close quarters work these will definitely be a good choice. For average use no so much but that's not where they are intended to go I'm thinking.
                        They will be great tool bag power tools because of their small size and light weight.

Looking down the line at the displays from the various manufacturers I didn't see anything close made by anyone else.

I posted this here because it seemed to fit with the topic even though they are not 12v tools.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I've been a little prejudiced against the yellow tool for many years but I agree with you about the 12 V line. On first glance you'd think the style of drill that Ridgid, makita, and Milwaukee has would be more compact and comfortable to use. But the battery inside the handle forces the grip to be large and not as comfortable as I'd like. Those dewalts though are very comfortable.

Comment

I thought I read a review on the 20v dewalt tools that stated that they are still basically 18v tools but rated them differently to get "20v". Like the Ridgid battery, at full charge is actually over 19v iirc. But I will hand it to them, they are compact. Looking at how far even ridgid has come from my x2 drills is quite impressive really.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                              I thought I read a review on the 20v dewalt tools that stated that they are still basically 18v tools but rated them differently to get "20v". Like the Ridgid battery, at full charge is actually over 19v iirc. But I will hand it to them, they are compact. Looking at how far even ridgid has come from my x2 drills is quite impressive really.
                              Maybe I'm wrong but sears 19.2volt and DeWalt 20volt seem like gimmics? I think all of these companies offer the same wide range of tools with the exception of Ridgid, so they try and promote something to set them apart from the rest. If I was going to buy a new line of cordless it would be Milwaukee, hands down. Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no complaints with my Ridgid's, but I need a wider range of tools.

Comment

Working...
                              X