X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston, we (I) have a problem!!

Mom always said I had a sense for the dramatic! I have the old 18v Ni-Cad multi tool set that I bought from Cummins Tools (remember them) when I bought my BS1400-1 so, that will tell you something of the age and that it was a rebuild. Anyway, I'm on my second set of rebuilt batteries but this rebuild isn't going quite right. These batts haven't seen much use since the re-build 1.5 yrs ago. Now, I'm having trouble with all of the positive poles (the driver as well). It's pretty tenacious stuff being resistant to contact cleaner. I had to scrape and sand back into the contacts before they would even take a charge. I even blew one of the internal fuses in the charger (what does it look like and how do you change it?). Someone said that I have some cells going down but I've never had them do this before. Like Dave (Hey there, Dave) but, in the reverse direction, I'm thinking of going lighter since I won't have any use for the heavy duty stuff any more. So, what's the nature of these batteries? Do you get more life out of them when used hard? Will they corrode again and faster after this cleaning? What do I do with my beloved set that has given me many years of service? OK, I'm ready for the beating
    Later,
    Chiz

Re: Houston, we (I) have a problem!!

I'm of the opinion, with personal experience, that batteries that are being used regularly function better and last longer.

Comment

I agree that occassional discharge by use and charging is better than leaving the batteries to rot, however I 'm curious why you are getting the crud on contacts? Where are you storing them? Can you apply some kind of barrier to the contacts, (not cleaner) to prevent oxidation? I try not to let more than a couple months go by without running my batteries down, and I rotate them. Don't go lighter! Start lifting weights and drink a few protein shakes, gotta stay strong!

Comment

I have always stored them in my shop which is an insulated garage - pretty weathertight. This might be the problem. I store one in the driver. Maybe I shouldn't do that? But, then again, they both seemed to have corroded equally and the other was stored on the bench. BTW, it took some serious scraping and sanding way down in the contacts of both the driver and the battery which electronic cleaner didn't touch. What should I use to clean them and more importantly, how do I keep them from corroding again?
        Later,
        Chiz

Comment

How about a dab of dielectric grease?

"Dielectric grease functions as a lubricant, sealant and preservative for rubber portions of electrical connectors. As such, dielectric grease is commonly applied to any electrical connectors that come in regular contact with the elements and functions to prevent corrosion and degradation."

Read more: What Is Dielectric Grease? | eHow.com What Is Dielectric Grease? | eHow.com

Comment

Aaaaargh! Dielectric grease!! I used it on each terminal, pushing it deep into the terminals (and boy, are they deep!) and it did such a good job of insulating that the batteries wouldn't work until I thoroughly cleaned them all. Maybe I used too much but the terminals are largely blind and deep so I couldn't see what I was doing. I had to feel my way and even that wasn't so good!
            Later,
            Chiz

Comment

I'm not giving up! How about a small air tight bucket with a bag of desiccant?

Comment

By golly, Frank, I believe that you're onto something!!!
                Later,
                Chiz

Comment

I hope it works, my next suggestion would be for you to relocate to my neighborhood

Comment

chinese dry wall? chinese drywall
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                    X