X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6800 generator runs wide open

I have a 6800 gen with a yamaha engine. I only had 10 hrs on it and the engine began to run wide open, sent it back to ridgid via home depot and ridgid replaced the engine. Now with 84 hrs on meter this engine is running wide open, it seems to have something to do with the governor, I can not get hold of anyone with Ridgid to help me with this, the number i got from them to talk to yamaha the guy said he thought it just needed the carb adjusted. No service centers within 50 miles even work on yamaha engines. WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP

Re: 6800 generator runs wide open

any springs missing or broke on or around the governor / carburetor area
    Last edited by BHD; 04-23-2013, 10:41 AM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Willcom View Post
      ... the guy said he thought it just needed the carb adjusted.
      "The Guy" is full of crap. Governor failure is a widely known issue with the earlier MZ360 engines. I've replaced dozens of them. Both Yamaha AND TTI (that's who built the generator) are very well aware of the issue.
      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
        any springs missing or broke on or around the governor / carburetor area
        I was thinking the same thing.
        I had the same problem on a Subaru engine, turns out the spring on the throttle they kept supplying would stretch out extreamy quickly.
        I replaced with a tighter fitting spring of similar size and the issue was resolved with just a little tinkering.

Comment

Definitely sounds like a governor. I had a similar issue with my B&S POS engine, described in this thread.

Comment

Working...
          X