Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

R4512 table saw problems. Am I too particular??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4512 table saw problems. Am I too particular??

After much research, I decided to roll the dice and get a R4512 TS despite problems reported with lateral shift while raising/lowering the blade. To my disappointment, the saw I got has the same problem. Before talking with Ridgid CS, I'd like to get objective advice on this forum. I also have found a few other issues, but maybe I'm just too particular and have unreasonable expectations of a TS for $500. Please let me know what you think... Thank you in advance!

1) While lowering the blade, the rear half shifts ever so slightly to the left for about a quarter turn of the wheel. I don't know exactly how much it moves, but it's noticeable to the eye. As soon as I raise the blade, it moves back to the right and is aligned with the miter track. So far, I've only used a combination square to measure alignment. After opening the access panel I can clearly see the arbor moving when this is happening. There's also a gap between the trunnion and the arbor. Not sure if that's supposed to be there. Is this shift acceptable in the first place and can something be adjusted to fix this issue?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ce379a23a55752dfa1987f9790b5d943.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	17540

2) The bevel scale is off more than half degree. I can adjust the scale accordingly, but to make the blade square with the table, I have to rotate the bevel wheel counter clockwise as far as I can till I can't move it anymore. Should the blade be square before I get to the stop?

Name:	597c7306d02465db6bd3c91084740663.jpg
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	17542

3) The blade is offset in the throat plate. It may be to compensate for a max bevel cut or full kerf but it seems to be too far left.

Name:	4593d9410aa93fcfa686dc3c237ddb25.jpg
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	17541

4) When I slide the fence to desired position(in this case i aligned the front end with the edge of the right miter track) and lock it, the far end does not align completely. It's off about 1/32" as you can see on the picture. Should I have to measure after every re-position of the fence to be aligned with the miter track? When the fence isn't locked, the "play" at the front end is a good 1/8".

Name:	2c55217d4eada55b381772f1074765f0.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	17543

Name:	c11a2101f17d518472bd532f61f8b0e7.jpg
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	17544

I have yet to use this saw since I don't know whether I should bring it back. It seems like a great saw for the money and many users are raving about it. Plus, I would hate to haul this heavy tool back for replacement only to realize they all have this problem.

Thank you, Fredrik

Re: R4512 table saw problems. Am I too particular??

Originally posted by fredjoh View Post
    After much research, I decided to roll the dice and get a R4512 TS despite problems reported with lateral shift while raising/lowering the blade. To my disappointment, the saw I got has the same problem. Before talking with Ridgid CS, I'd like to get objective advice on this forum. I also have found a few other issues, but maybe I'm just too particular and have unreasonable expectations of a TS for $500. Please let me know what you think... Thank you in advance!

when purchasing power tools @ HD, try to find a store that will hoor harbor freight's "20% off any single item" coupon. many users have acquired their 4512s for $400.

1) While lowering the blade, the rear half shifts ever so slightly to the left for about a quarter turn of the wheel. I don't know exactly how much it moves, but it's noticeable to the eye. As soon as I raise the blade, it moves back to the right and is aligned with the miter track. So far, I've only used a combination square to measure alignment. After opening the access panel I can clearly see the arbor moving when this is happening. There's also a gap between the trunnion and the arbor. Not sure if that's supposed to be there. Is this shift acceptable in the first place and can something be adjusted to fix this issue?

this sounds like the blade alignment problem these saws have been experiencing. very hard to interpret what is being described from a single pic. any chance for a brief video of the movement being described? if it is the blade alignment issue, there is no known field repair that i've seen mentioned across 5 WW forums.

Name:	ce379a23a55752dfa1987f9790b5d943.jpg
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	17540

2) The bevel scale is off more than half degree. I can adjust the scale accordingly, but to make the blade square with the table, I have to rotate the bevel wheel counter clockwise as far as I can till I can't move it anymore. Should the blade be square before I get to the stop?

never trust the way a power tool is set up from the manufacturer. always assume it will need to be aligned correctly in your shop. on all my saws. i back the stops out completely. they usually acquire sawdust and become inaccurate after only a brief while. i use drafting squares and a wixey angle cube to set blade angles.

Name:	597c7306d02465db6bd3c91084740663.jpg
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	17542

3) The blade is offset in the throat plate. It may be to compensate for a max bevel cut or full kerf but it seems to be too far left.

offset is normal on my ridgid 2412 and related 113 series c-man TSs. bevel your blade and as long as it doesn't touch @ 45°, it should be ok.

Name:	4593d9410aa93fcfa686dc3c237ddb25.jpg
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	17541

4) When I slide the fence to desired position(in this case i aligned the front end with the edge of the right miter track) and lock it, the far end does not align completely. It's off about 1/32" as you can see on the picture. Should I have to measure after every re-position of the fence to be aligned with the miter track? When the fence isn't locked, the "play" at the front end is a good 1/8".

are you assuming that the fence should be aligned properly with th emiter slot out of th ebox? they usually aren't. the OM has instructions for aligning both the blade and fence to a miter slot. always align the blade and fence to the SAME miter slot.

Name:	2c55217d4eada55b381772f1074765f0.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	17543

Name:	c11a2101f17d518472bd532f61f8b0e7.jpg
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	17544

I have yet to use this saw since I don't know whether I should bring it back. It seems like a great saw for the money and many users are raving about it. Plus, I would hate to haul this heavy tool back for replacement only to realize they all have this problem.

heavy? it barely weighs 250lbs. try moving around those old 4511 TSs. ~ 500 lbs!

Thank you, Fredrik
    the most significant issue is the blade alignment issue. if it's changing it's position relative to the miter slot with changes in blade elevation, that is a problem that is well known around many WW forums. the grizzly g0715 and the 4512's cousin c-man, the 21833, all appear to have the same type problem. supposedly, the problem was addressed by whoever manufactures these saws. but instances of alignment woes continue to be reported.

try posting a video for some help on the first issue you noted. if it's the blade alignment issue changing with blade elevation, return the saw and get another one. the 4512 offers a great deal of value and does carry a 90 day satisfaction guaranty. i'd just keep buying them until i got one that didn't have the problem. i'd also check the blade alignment issue at the store. unfortunately, some patience and perseverance will probably be required to get a properly functioning 4512. once you get one, though, they perform extremely well.

hope this helps. good luck.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Thanks for your reply! It seems my reply has gotten stuck in moderator land, so I will re-post a shorter version without an attachment.

Only 2 HD has the saw in stock in my area and they didn't honor the HF coupon since they don't carry the Ridgid brand. I tried... Finally talked them into 10% discount though.

I made a video of the blade while raising it and lowering it a few times. Search for "R4512 blade shift" on YouTube and it should pop up. I just want to confirm that I'm experiencing the common issue before I haul it back. If anyone can give me a good idea I would appreciate it.

The blade is square but I have to go to the very extreme counter clockwise with bevel wheel and actually use some force for it to get perfect.. Also, the clear plastic indicator will have to be filed to be lined up with the 0 degree mark. This is also true with the left rip fence indicator and it seems weird but has been reported by other users.

The blade is clear at 45 degree bevel so that looks fine.

I was able to adjust the fence and it got better, but it's not perfect. I think its because it has a 1/8" lateral play on the front end if I hold the rear end still. Once I lock the fence, it doesn't quite square the whole fence with the front rail and I suspect it has to do with the play at the front and the narrow support(1") on the rear rail.

I will call Ridgid and HD as soon as they open to get guidance from them as well. 250lbs is plenty heavy for me without help, but as it looks now I will have to return it.

The most important question is how can I accurately check if a replacement is ok at the store since it's positioned upside down in the box?

Thanks again!

Comment

that's definitely a problem and shouldn't be happening. i'm very anal and thick headed, so i'd just keep buying, haulng home and checking at m leisure until i got a saw that performed correctly. and every time i brought one back, i'd try for a bigger discount. it's a war of attrition, but i've got some time available since i own my own business. otherwise, have them remove the saw for checking in store. if you find one that doesn't have the problem, pack it back up and take it home. to the best of my knowledge, there's no field remedy for that problem. although it does look like something is loose in the trunion linkage causing that unfortunate shift.

regarding the force needed to get the blade to 90°, back the stop screws out all the way. they aren't worth using (see p 46 of the OM).
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
        X